How would one use stems with a Traktor Kontrol s3

AxMusic
AxMusic Member Posts: 129 Member

Hello all, New to DJing and I recently saw the “How to do everything in Traktor” series. I saw that there was a section where the presenter explained how to use stems… However he used an S4 with built in stems buttons..

My question is how would one use/ control stems with an S3 Model?

If there isn’t any easy way to set that up….

would the Traktor Kontrol F1 work? I saw it says it has dedicated Stems Deck control…

Thank You for any replies I get.

Comments

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,798 mod

Hello,

i found no mapping online so you maybe could do your own or better, as you already said, you add an F1.

• AxMusic

Thanks, just wondering the new released X1 isn’t fit for this purpose correct?

• Uwe303
    Uwe303 Moderator Posts: 3,798 mod

Not out of the box, but you could also map it as far as I understand, but I your case I would use the F1. This is made for stems too as far as I know.

• AxMusic

Good to know. Thanks!

• AxMusic

I am also wondering, is it possible to load a STEMS track into the slots of a Remix Deck, and work it like a Stems Deck (meaning lower the Melodys, Bass, Drums) and only use Vocals? Is that something the F1 would help with? Or is this just not possible?

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 3,366 Expert
    edited October 2023

In theory you could split a stem up into individual files with 3rd party software, then load them into 4 cells in a remix deck, and start all 4 at the same time.

But I don't get what the benefit would be.

Why not use the F1 to control a stem deck?

Here is an example on how someone uses an F1 for stems:

• AxMusic
    edited October 2023

Yeah, I often listen to tracks that have vocal scratches (from multiple songs) on the hook..

I was unsure if there was another way to have multiple Vocal Stems recorded on one track other then using multiple decks…

I assumed since remix decks could house many tracks that this would be a viable option.

Sorry if the question didn’t make sense. Thanks for sharing that vid.

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 3,366 Expert

Mhh, ok that is a bit different.

Cut the track up to just to part with the vocal you need, use a stem AI to get just to vocals, load the vocal parts into remix decks.

Might work.

• farebrotha
    farebrotha Member Posts: 9 Member

Traktor S3 Mk3 is an after thought of NI. If you noticed during setip options for audio they list dedicated drivers for all their device except S3. The Traktor audio driver for S3 for audio set up only gives two audio selections headset and main output. If yu have other audio( such as external audio) you will never see that option in setup as the Traktor use Wapi audio driver. The Asio drivers listed for S2 and S4 wbuy il not work for your S3. I searched and downloadied Asio4All which utilizes all my audio inputs/drivers on my system which allows me set up audio for headphone, master out, and record.

As far as stems, it ain;t happening on the S3. Wasn't designed for that and like I said it was and after thought . NI wanted to have a midlevel controller between S2 and S4 and maded this ******. I say demo on using Nuo Stems but, the guy who pioneered this software designed for the S4. I ask about it working with S3, the first time he said no it would not work. The a month later after I kept posting on his video to do it with the S3 and other people wanted the same functionality he came back and said you can map Nuo Stems to the S3. Nowhere to date is there such mapping. Like people have suggested you have to buy, F1 or X1 or some other pricey hardware for Stems. At that point you might as well DITCH Native Instrument Kontrollers and bbuy one o the following Hercules Impuse T7, Pioneer DDJ Flx10, Pioneer Rev 5, Rane Four. Any other Rekord box controller can be mapped to use Stems ( See Crossfader DJ for Rekord box mapping on Youtube) Its a shame that Traktor doesn't have Stem Separtion as of Dec 12,and who knows when they will. NI is way behind on software development and its been like this for years. They did give us Traktor Plus with Pattern Player and Mazimizer something we all have been waiting 10 years for....Ugh not, this is a worthless addition for anyone to have to pay for. Its ****** and you have to ask yourself with all the other DI software (Rekord Box, Serato, Engine OS, Virtual DJ) already have Stems, why doesn't Ni have it? I think its time to JUMP SHIP after 10 years of NI, their hardware is ****** (Google crossfader and volume faders for their devices especial S2, S3, S4) and the software dated.

Ni Support will reply but your problem may not be resolved and they have like a cutoff limit to the amount of help thay can give. I had went through three S3 device each one with the same crossfader problem. They cannot fix it and after two replacements you are stuck with the piece of ****** with the problem still existing.

• Dj Albie
    Dj Albie Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

How can I map my S3 to stems