Ask me anything: Kontrol S-Series MK3

Comments

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 942 Guru

Hah....I just thought of another reason NOT to have faders on my keyboard device: I already have Avid mixing devices (plus the software!) taking up space on my desk. Even going back in time, I started with the Behringer BCF, then started buying Mackie Control devices used on Ebay. The behringer was wonderful, but the Mackies were huge...plus I had the main control device and TWO extenders.

Then I moved to the Artist series, also bought used from Ebay sellers. Now I'm (slowly) moving to the Dock and S1 or S3. The S3 is discontinued, but will still be supported until 2025 I think; consequently, the used market on Ebay and Reverb is healthy and active. The S1 is also nice, and takes up quite a bit less space.

Those control surfaces, even the so-called "small ones" already take up a lot of room on any desk surface, and as a consequence, I have faders coming out of my ears! I sure don't need even more faders from keyboards and fingerdrum devices too.

Well, to each their own. But I've got non-motorized faders on an old Arturia keyboard, as well as on two Novation keyboards and my Roland Fantom, and seriously, I'd rather have motorized faders or knobs. Even that old old old Behringer BCF is still "good enough" because the faders are motorized and their status will auto-update, even if I'm using it to control an EQ plugin. But really, the BCF's sister, the BCR is maybe even better because it has more knobs than the BCF has faders.

Moar betta!🙃

• matttemple
    matttemple Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I would love an 88 key board thats not weighted... any chance of that?

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,286 mod

Hi All!

Just chiming in to say I'm back online and in the comments once again. Will start going through the open questions as I see them.

• Matthew_NI
    edited September 2023

Not planning on this, no. Most of the users who buy 88 keys prefer the hammer action, so we likely wouldn't sell enough to make it worthwhile to maintain a separate version.

• Matthew_NI

I know this is an Ask-Me-Anything, but it's more of an Ask-Me-Anything except for that. Expect it earlier in Q4 than later, but I can't share any more on the exact date.

• Matthew_NI

Alternative perspective: they provide hours of entertainment. Stick a laser pointer on the end of a fader?

• Matthew_NI

NKS 1 and NKS 2 are not entirely extricable in such a way. NKS 2 is really the next version of the existing SDK. Yes, it introduces new features that new hardware can take advantage of, but NKS 1 persists as a requirement for supporting existing hardware. It's really one NKS with a variety of capabilities depending on the hardware you own.

There are certainly questions about whether we could make it more open than we do. At present, we require an NDA and have a set of procedural steps we work through with any NKS partner to ensure the implementation is robust and consistent with the design guidelines and quality bar. To make it more open may speed up adoption, but with the loss of control comes the potential for inconsistent experiences, and/or issues with the hardware.

It is being talked about - there are desires to make NKS as widely adopted and useful as possible. That's all I can say for now, and would expect no immediate changes. It relates to the conversation on where Direct Connection should go.

• Matthew_NI

The simplest answer here is that we're not doing anything special with MIDI 2.0 yet, just that the device can run in MIDI 2.0 mode to support the features as they come.

What we're waiting to see (and trying to promote) is more widespread (or more robust) MIDI 2.0 adoption in Windows and macOS, in DAWs and plug-ins as well as hardware. With that comes reasons for us to implement the features MIDI 2.0 facilitates.

• Matthew_NI

That is the idea, yes. It will not be as extensive as NKS 2 obviously, and it also requires VST3 ParameterInfo to have been implemented correctly, which is not always the case.

• Matthew_NI

We do have this on our backlog yes. This release focussed heavily on the instrument experience. But of course the FX experience needs improvement too, especially as we're partnered with such companies more than ever before.

• Super8boy
    Super8boy Member Posts: 85 Helper

I've very glad to hear this Matthew thank you for that answer on the FX expererience

• Super8boy
    Super8boy Member Posts: 85 Helper
    edited September 2023

Does the new (or upcoming) version of Komplete Kontrol take this issue into account?

Could you weigh in on the migration from VST2 to VST3 and the new features or lack of new features on that regard in the Komplete Kontrol (KK) Software updates and therefore future proofing integration with the controllers.

Many NI users have been pulling their hair for quite some time (see Native Instruments forum) about how KK software had not been telling them what was missing when the KK host couldn't find the plugin anymore, yet was not telling the user what it was looking for (which is probablematic as you shouldn't have to make notes of what plugins you use on what tracks)

That I believe has been one of the shortcomings of the Komplete Kontrol system, where future proofing should really be taken more into account, as NI is making us rely on their wrapper program.

I really do welcome the NKS1 protocol and compatibility with the MK1 & MK2 keyboard ranges as a move towards proofing, but the software integration with daws and versions of plugins (VST2, 3 etc) in time is also essential.

• Matthew_NI

When directly connected to Kontakt - you can layer instruments as multis, yes. You cannot do this in Komplete Kontrol (you can layer effects on top of instruments though).

This discussion has been closed.