Ask me anything: Kontrol S-Series MK3

Comments

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,628 mod
    edited September 2023

Usually there are several ways to tell what product that preset is for, if you browse by product hey are grouped with the product. Also you can right click on the NKS and open in Finder and that will also tell you, or open the Edit menu and it will tell you there.

However I see you were trying to open from an old product so yes that aspect could be improved (with Reaktor as well tbh)

• shaboogen
    shaboogen Member Posts: 4 Member
    edited September 2023

To bring back a topic that wasn't addressed, can we get some information on whether NI's stance towards openness has changed with the release of Kontrol MK3?

For instance, every version of the Ableton Push has shipped with a publicly available, comprehensive API that allows hobbyist developers to extend the hardware beyond its original intentions making it a worthwhile purchase for plenty of people that will never install Ableton. It also makes it very unlikely that owners of a Push be stuck with a paperweight, given third parties can support the device long after Ableton stops.

NI's bonafides in this area are basically non-existent, the attitude towards openness has been one of borderline hostility, and NI's reputation around product updates is awful. Both the KK MK2 and Maschine MK3 had gorgeous screens that were basically non-addressable by third parties. All of the light guide features were gated behind Komplete Kontrol, which at the time I am writing this STILL cannot be resized despite being updated to VST3 and that being part of the spec since its inception. The Maschine MK3 still doesn't function in Komplete Kontrol despite the browser being effectively a carbon copy of the Maschine one, and above all it's taken people reverse engineering your proprietary tech to allow the KK MK2 to even be functional in DAWs that you didn't write protocols for. Even in this thread, you've mentioned that KK MK2 support is "indefinite", which isn't particularly clear and offers no certainty to anyone who has purchased it.

Addressing this issue would go some way towards making users like me trust NI and make the keyboard the easiest purchase I could make since from a technology standpoint, it looks great, but until the attitude around the software improves it feels very difficult to justify spending $2000 AUD on something that I have absolutely no guarantee that NI as a platform holder will treat properly. I say that despite how much NI stuff I own.

Will NI change its stance towards openness and release an API with this product line? Or at least release a full API for the MK2 line so that people can finally make use of the screen?

• trusampler
    trusampler Member Posts: 94 Helper

Hi, I own a KKMK2 and one of the most frustrating things about it is when I want to control external synths, the USB no longer functions, and I have to use a power adapter.

Question to NI , With the new MK3 did your developers finally resolve this issue, as this is a make or break it in my book, for my needs as a master controller.

• Vagus
    Vagus Member Posts: 448 Guru
    edited September 2023

Interesting for your first post, but I can answer some of this.

I would highly doubt the API is going to be made publically available, at least in the near future - that's the whole point of a closed system; it's curated for a better user experience (Apple, PlayStation etc). I'm guessing, but I would be amazed if I were wrong on this point. The main thing about NKS2, and external digital instruments, is that they'll all be better in MK3/NKS2.

Light Guide - as a registered 3rd party developer, I'm pretty sure you're able to use the light guide with 3rd party VSTs, although I'm not sure how easy/difficult it is with NKS1.

Resizing in KK - it isn't going to be an issue - redisgned (and apparently improved) browser born in Kontakt. Watch at 12:15 for a quick look at the upcoming update: https://youtu.be/G0W1jaEppBQ?si=_gnNDzPoW4UY_IvI

You'll be able to resize instruments within that browser as long as the instrument support it, I think.

I'd strongly advise you to stick around here - there's been some real improvement and engagement from NI in recent times, and I would expect Maschine SW to be next on the list, given the big updates for Kontakt and upcoming KK update.

• Super8boy
    Super8boy Member Posts: 85 Helper

Thanks @Chris_NI for your perspective.

I do welcome the fast browsing mode on the mk3 and welcome to trying it out when product ships out. Could this also be added to the mk2 via a firmware update as a matter of fact?

About the faders, I still think it is an awful pity not to have at least 2 or 3 faders for orchestral libraries. Anything from Valves to Spitfire audio/projectsam/Cinesamples/Heavytrocity does rely on expression controls automatically mapped and a mod wheel alone is not alone to control such libraries. Faders are required to control 2 parameters at the same time for realistic play. NI really missed out on allowing even 2 extra faders (with a lightguide like a Yamaha Montage if motorized was too much) or vertical touchstrips left of the screen) to do that work.

Maybe the next time, ask the insight/feedback from members of vi-control.net, as members there do represent a very large user base who know what they are talking about.

if there was an add-on controller with touchstrips or 2/3 motorized faders or faders with led light + a screen above it as a complement to the mk3, I would buy that, just not to have to bother mapping stuff constantly and stay within the NI controlling environment

• thronechild
    thronechild Member Posts: 14 Member

The NI library is a complex instrument library by NI’s own design. Since there is only Kontrol and Maschine, the two devices are pressured to provide control for the entire library. Kontrol in particular needs to be complex to address the wide range of instruments and modulation options since maschine is focused on sequencing percussion and sound packs. 

Im not sure why the decision on faders is only regarding motorized or non-motorized. Remember NI Jam with its smart strips. A version of these strips has made it consistently into other NI products as various differently named controls, including kontrol mk3 with its touch strip and could have solved the requests for more modulation control without the mechanical complexity of motorized faders. If the NI instrument user experience is top priority then there has been a missed opportunity as these would allow control over multiple parameters simultaneously in a different way than knobs, movements like one hand on multiple, tapping to values, and faster movements. 

In addition, theres a subset of percussion instruments being ignored by the current limited capability in kontrol and maschine, such as Battery, Drummer series, Symphony series, etc. The light guide is appreciated but a standard keyboard is not a great interface for playing the percussion instruments within KK, which have also been ignored on the Maschine side as the instruments don’t conform to the hardware interface, hopefully this can be addressed in maschine. But if not, then another missed opportunity on kontrol for solving a long standing issue in the library. 

So if user experience is key theres a large percentage of the instrument library without a good control surface for user interaction. You are telling us that usage metrics drives the development, but these other instruments are hamstrung by the hardware and therefore will be used less, and so your metrics will reflect that, metrics are not the end all for driving decisions. 

• Eric Rabb
    Eric Rabb Member Posts: 41 Member

Same here, no Maschine Integration, means a no go for me. Native please try to listen what your consumers want in the current integration of keyboards, TOUCH SCREENS! Drum pads and faders man, you guys don’t really get what’s going on. Stop making stuff up and listen what the consumers request or you won’t be around for long. Cancel Culture is real.

• thelucioguy
    thelucioguy Member Posts: 5 Member

As per your suggestions, I am trying to reach support to see if there is some sort of stopgap software to get me up and running with my S61 MK3. But when I attempt t file a case, I get a series of unhelpful screens that bing me back full circle to the beginning. Not helping "my experience". How can I get help otherwise?

• dfoll@icloud.com
    dfoll@icloud.com Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I wish there were a larger non-weighted option, ideally 88 keys but at least 76. I’d like a full size keyboard without having to carry a heavy instrument around.

• raphaël_
    raphaël_ Member Posts: 20 Member

i would never want a touchscreen!

these are all you own opinions, you don't speak for all consumers, neither do i.

maschine integration on the other hand, would have been obvious, but lets see what happens to the maschine departement, this and the next year...

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 11,830 mod

@thelucioguy Unless you are part of a beta or in a partnership with NI, you shouldn't have received the keyboard. Please reach out here: http://bit.ly/NIsupport_KKontrol

• aventham77
    aventham77 Member Posts: 12 Member

I like this idea of complementary hardware control modules, which could integrate fairly neatly into the NKS2 environment - you could create a parameter group called "Fader" for example, and add a specific subset of parameters to that group for control by an NKS2-compatible "Fader Kontrol."

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,628 mod
    edited September 2023

If they want to lock down the new toy, fine, but open up the MK2 so that a great piece of hardware gets a second life.

Yes I’ve been arguing since NI now have NKS2 as their in-house standard why not open up NKS1 completely and give users the tools NI made available to devs, now supplanted by NKS2, to fully author NKS1 banks

The OSC based deep integration interface is another thing that could be more open

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 942 Guru

Hey man, thanks for the additional clarification; super helpful! And yes, given this way you've worded it, I agree with everything you've written. 😃

This discussion has been closed.