What is next for Maschine +, road map?

Comments

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 674 Guru

Oh, there's at least one more OS update in the works (might be getting to betatest it as a matter of fact)

no idea on any ETA however..

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,255 mod
    edited September 2023

Nope, not happening, at least according to their answer to Lopop's logical question of "does this mean you're abandoning Maschine?"

• D-One
    edited September 2023
  • tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 674 Guru

I think it makes a heck of a lot of sense really. Komplete keyboard is a somewhat unique product in the NI portfolio, because many people use it even if they otherwise don't use a lot of NI software due to the FATAR keybed being considered better than on most of the competing controller keyboards. By adding in polyphonic aftertouch, and keeping the intended use case open-ended, these controllers will appeal to a far larger customerbase than just for Maschine users.

Doesn't mean we wont be seeing Maschine integration for it at some point, its just not a priority for NI to include it from the start.

• Rico010
    Rico010 Member Posts: 121 Advisor

Makes sense. I also think Maschine is going to be updated later. NI has to battle-test new screen and develop new UI for Maschine software in order to utilize new screen. They need more time. I think a Maschine update may be coming next year Sept-Oct. But that’s just my guess.

• MaikR
    MaikR Member Posts: 293 Pro

I guess you’re talking about a hardware upgrade…? Yes, could be on their roadmap, but hopefully they don’t forget to stabilize the current offering first.

The new Kontrol keyboards have a new architecture, too. So I don’t know if hardware and software are compatible. Updating the current internal M+ software (so not the DAW) could mean putting effort in an deprecated software stack.

• Percivale
    Percivale Member Posts: 219 Pro

What CPU if any in the KK MK3. If same as M+ can M+ run full Kontakt 7 too.

• D-One
    edited September 2023

Supporting anything of this nature is all SW. It's compatible with the KKS MK2 line, which M+ (or Maschiene generally) already kind of has built-in inside, but yes that would take "work and delay the launch" (paraphrasing YouTubers again).

Def not the same, or it would be a standalone and be even more expensive I think. Youtubers mentioned it has 'a computer inside' mainly for the more advanced screen rendering and potentially more features in the future like Smart Play directly to DAW/External HW without the need for KK/Kontakt. I asked about this computer in the QaA thread as I am curious too.

For it to run Kontakt standalone it would need outputs, but who knows...

• MaikR

For the NKS part, I doubt this should be considered the same. If so, then for the Kontrol / Controller mode of the M+ but there’s also software for running the hardware in standalone: audio and midi interface, sequencer, built in synths, the sampler, time stretching etc, which as far as I know has nothing to do with NKS itself.

The new Kontrol KBs could have a ‘computer inside’ for the heavy lifting of the eye candy on the larger and probably higher resolution screen. Besides that, for what I have seen and heard of it, the deeper / direct Kontakt integration still needs a computer for its engine to run, but for controlling this piece of software you don’t need the Kontrol software to run. I could be wrong, but this is for what I understood of the launch event / marketing show…

But for now (and within this thread) I’m mostly interested in the future of Maschine Plus MK1.

• D-One
    edited September 2023

@MaikR

For the NKS part, I doubt this should be considered the same. If so, then for the Kontrol / Controller mode of the M+ but there’s also software for running the hardware in standalone: audio and midi interface, sequencer, built in synths, the sampler, time stretching etc, which as far as I know has nothing to do with NKS itself.

I'm confused about what's your point here tbh. There's SW for everything, digital hw doesn't work without it.

The M+ is a computer with a custom Linux distro instead of Mac/Windows + modded version of the Maschine software, the Maschine SW itself handles the Sequencer, Synths, Sampler, Time Stretch and all those things you mentioned... For audio, there's prob a Linux driver for it as for MIDI support, WIFI, etc... everything is just like on a normal computer/OS.

the deeper / direct Kontakt integration still needs a computer for its engine to run, but for controlling this piece of software you don’t need the Kontrol software to run. I could be wrong, but this is for what I understood of the launch event / marketing show…

Correct, it can work directly with Kontakt-7, so... something needs to be able to run Kontakt 7.

I guess some folks are hoping this "internal computer" is capable of running K7 or whatever could make it a standalone, but hard to imagine a standalone with apparently no outputs/interface amongst other things - if one wants to be really hopeful and dream big than then maybe they add external audio interface support for this thing, it has space inside for a SSD, it's own OS, etc, etc.. I don't wanna crush any dreams but that's all very unlikely.

The Push-3 controller can be upgraded to a standalone, if this was a possibility I guess they would have used it in the marketing already.

• MaikR

Well I guess we’re both confused… and maybe saying the same thing.

What I meant with hardware / software compatibility:

1. The current M+ runs a ‘lightweight’ / converted and stripped version of Maschine, or maybe it should be considered as a remake capable of running on this piece of hardware.
    2. Kontrol Keyboards MK3 uses new software, the NKS implementation had to be build from the ground up. This (also) because of the new hardware architecture; the statement on the “computer inside”.
    3. Same goes for the integration part with Maschine (DAW), which has to be rebuild and is not released yet.
    4. The latter brings me to the M+ roadmap; if NI has planned future development it’s most likely that they’re willing to streamline the development stack and code base. In that case I hope they’re willing to ‘stabilize’ the MK1 hardware / software before moving on with MK2.

And, maybe U-he simply made a typo… or is new Maschine (MK4, M++) hardware already on its way…?

• D-One
    edited September 2023

Oh, yeah, just a misunderstanding I think.

I think that statement from u-he just means Maschine SW as a whole (regardless of HW model) will eventually support the new NKS standard, otherwise, KK3 will use one standard and Maschine V2 another? Not sure how they would deal with having 2 versions of library patches. As I understood it KK3 uses the new standard yet works fine with KK-S Mk2 for example. I'm a bit confused by all this tbh

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 3,009 Expert

There are IMHO four main branches of future for M+.

1) It will get new brand Maschine SW, possibly called MataDAW (or similar).

2) It will get few updates/fixes of current Maschine 2.... And in year, two might come MK2.

3) It will get few updates/fixes. And no MK2 comes...

4) Mk2 comes within weeks/months using MataDAW port and MK1 will stay on Maschine 2 port.

• AdelV
    AdelV Member Posts: 304 Guru

Still nothing...

This discussion has been closed.