Brand new S88 MKII buttons not working on Pro Tools

Casey Rae
Casey Rae Member Posts: 16 Member
edited March 2022 in Komplete Kontrol

I'm running Mojave 10.14.6 on an iMac 3 GHz Intel Core i5. Latest version of Pro Tools. The S88 plays sound via MIDI / NI plugins in Pro Tools and Live. I have properly mapped the keyboard in Pro Tools: Setup-Peripherals-MIDI Controller-Komplete Kontrol.

I can activate Komplete Kontrol as a plug-in and "see" the selection in the S88 windows. However, I cannot use ANY onboard browser features. Nor can I assign any parameters. No buttons on the keyboard produce action except left side wheels.

A full week of "support" interactions, which for NI is like, every 48 hours to reply. I recently got put in touch with an LA rep over email; his solution--to trash the Pro Tools FB360 plugins and PT preferences--didn't work (I'd already tried that because not an idiot).

I'm sending back the device on Monday. This after NI didn't bother to tell S88 MKI users that the MacOS update a few years back would brick ALL features.

Posting here in a last ditch effort to see if anyone has a solution.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Casey Rae
    Answer ✓

I figured it out. It WAS PT, and it was one of those FB360 plug-ins (not the plugin itself; a supporting file). That fixed the issue in PT, which is my primary concern.

In case anyone else has an issue w/ deep integration of Komplete Kontrol / S-series MKII and Pro Tools, the Avid FB360 plugins seem to be the culprit.

I appreciate your help and patience immensely.

Answers

• Simchris
    Simchris Member Posts: 210 Advisor

Zero issues with my three kk controllers, using with intel macs on mojave and also windows 10 pro...both mk 1 and mk2 models. Maybe you got bad device. Maybe bad power supply. Permissions issue. Who knows. Never had anything bricked and early adopter s49 mk1. However using Logic not Pro Tools, so maybe PT issue?

presumably you tried new external power supply, different usb port and cable with direct connection, try with single monitor if dual monitor setup, try plugging in cable after boot then power up, then power switch on to auto switch on during boot up of mac, reset usb ports on mac, clean all drivers and proper driver install step by step, set control surface options in daw,etc.

• Casey Rae

Literally have tried all of these things, yes. This isn’t my first rodeo. I’m starting to think it’s a bad device.

Would be neat if NI would provide better assistance.

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,531 Expert

So have you actually run the standalone Komplete Kontrol application and tested to see if it works in that?

If it does not, have you checked in the MIDI preferences to see if it is listed as a MIDI device?

If it does work then the issue is not a keyboard issue, it is a PT issue (which wouldn't surprise me) or possibly a security preference issue so check your security preferences.

May also help to post the actual screens of your MIDI setup in PT. I don 't use PT and I only touch my mac if I really have to so not a dedicated mac user but with some helpful details some others may have some ideas.

• Casey Rae

I’ll post some shots soon. Yes I have tried stand-alone Komplete Kontrol, same situation. Mapping is correct; that much confirmed by NI.

I have also trashed PT prefs and gotten rid of FB360 plugs in PT, allegedly an issue. Reboots and iMac USB resets, etc. No go. Which is why I think it’s a faulty keyboard.

• JesterMgee

I can activate Komplete Kontrol as a plug-in and "see" the selection in the S88 windows.

What do you mean you can "see the selection in the S88 windows" what selection can you see in what "windows"? Are you referring to the screens on the S88?

Since the same thing apparently happens in just KK standalone, I would first forget PT and just focus on testing in KK standalone.

• have you checked in the MIDI preferences to see if it is listed as a MIDI device? Is there both a keyboard and a DAW port listed in the KK preferences:

Do you see the appropriate ports listed?

If it is listed then do you see your keyboard selectable in the Controller list and is it selected:

What about this button here, does it show your keyboard connected or does it show "MIDI" :

Did you check your security preferences? Are all KK options selected as being enabled?

A list of exactly what you have attempted, screenshots showing all the mentioned points and pics of what you are referring to will be handy.

• Casey Rae

The only thing I can't seem to find is "files and folders" in the Privacy prefs. Any tups? Thanks for your assistance--far more than I've received from NI at this point. Further advice welcome and deeply appreciated.

• JesterMgee

The only thing I can't seem to find is "files and folders" in the Privacy prefs.

Could be because you are on an older OS. My mac is 12.2 so possibly if you are 10.14 that is not an option, main thing is to click through each of the security settings and check if KK appears but does not have the checkbox set.

From your screenshots it suggests your keyboard is installed and detected by the KK software so it appears to be working.

In the KK software standalone application you should NOT have this port selected:

That is not a MIDI port so in any application should not be selected as a MIDI input port ever. It is a DAW control port and is used in a DAW when setting a control surface, it can cause issues if you select it as a MIDI input port so make sure it is not selected just as I displayed in my screenshot.

When you launch KK on your keyboard screens do you see the displays change at all when the software launches or do you just see the MIDI screens on the keyboard? Based on the fact you have the keyboard active In KK I would expect it would be showing something on the screens:

When you have no comms to the keyboard from KK it will be in MIDI mode showing just a MIDI DIN icon but when you start KK the displays on the keyboard should change to show the status of KK and should say on the right screen to press Browse to load an instrument. Is this displayed on the keyboard?

Now, by the sounds of your limited explanation of your problem it sounds like you may not know hoe the keyboard functions:

I can activate Komplete Kontrol as a plug-in and "see" the selection in the S88 windows. However, I cannot use ANY onboard browser features. Nor can I assign any parameters. No buttons on the keyboard produce action except left side wheels.

So this will be true if your are in KK NKS mode as the controls are NOT midi controls they are "Smart" controls. To allow mapping of controls into a DAW (like on any MIDI keyboard) you need to switch it to MIDI mode pressing the appropriately labelled MIDI button which will then display the MIDI icon on the screen. This allows you to select a template for use.

Press PLUGIN to switch back to "Smart" mode.

These buttons may not function if you selected the DAW port as a MIDI input so make sure that is deselected and then using KK standalone, just see if these are lit up when it is launched and if you can actually press them. You cannot press BROWSE if the keyboard is in MIDI mode as you need to be in PLUGIN mode to use Browse.

List what is and is not working from these steps

• Casey Rae
    edited March 2022

Thanks to your help, the buttons now work in standalone. I had previously checked the DAW port as MIDI input based on other advice I'd seen. Unchecking seems to do the trick in standalone.

However, I am not able to select Browser, Plugin or MIDI in on a properly instantiated Pro Tools instrument track. I can load KOMPLETE KONTROL instruments via mouse and computer screen, then "see" it in the S88 screens, but still cannot interact with any buttons or parameters on either side of the screens.

Since you've been so helpful overall, I am crossing my fingers that you might have a sense of what to do here. NI advised trashing FB360 plugins and PT prefs, which has been done twice to no avail.

• Casey Rae

And now it's back to NOT working at all in standalone. Stuck on "Use the Browser to load an instrument" screen; doesn't let me switch between MIDI, Browser, or Plug-IN in. Can't load anything from keyboard.

I want to be clear that I've been recording professionally for 30+ years. I've used NI for 20. I previously had the S88 MKI. I generally know how these devices work. This is extremely frustrating. Thanks for your timely replies.

• Casey Rae
    Answer ✓

I figured it out. It WAS PT, and it was one of those FB360 plug-ins (not the plugin itself; a supporting file). That fixed the issue in PT, which is my primary concern.

In case anyone else has an issue w/ deep integration of Komplete Kontrol / S-series MKII and Pro Tools, the Avid FB360 plugins seem to be the culprit.

I appreciate your help and patience immensely.

• JesterMgee

Yeah I don't use PT and am not even a macOS user for production, I support both these things in my daily life but prefer to distance myself from both macOS and Avid for production, because of the amount of problems I have seen with both and neither fits my way of working anyway.

The amount of time one has been recording/producing doesn't always translate into how well they can troubleshoot a problem. I know some musicians that have been playing/recording guitar/drums longer than I have been sucking air but would happily state they couldn't find the reset button on a computer even if it was flashing at them.

Glad you have it sorted, my intention was basically to do as I always do and rule out what is NOT the problem which narrows down what is likely the issue.

• DJ Go-iLL
    DJ Go-iLL Member Posts: 19 Member

Can you tell me more about how you disabled the FB360 plug-in. I’m having a similar issue with my S88 having recently installed Protools. I believe I moved that plug-in to my unused plug-ins folder but my s88 still is not working properly. Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated.

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,299 mod

Hey there, in some cases FB 360 plug-ins stop the communication between our software and hardware. This is how to fix it:

Go to this location:

Macintosh HD > Library > Application Support > Avid > Audio > Plug-Ins

Move all these plug-ins to the unused Plug-ins (unused) folder

• FB360-Mix-Loudness-ambiX.aaxplugin
    • FB360-Control-ambiX.aaxplugin
    • FB360-Stereo-Loudness-ambiX.aaxplugin
    • FB360-Spatialiser-ambiX.aaxplugin
    • FB360-Converter-ambiX.aaxplugin

Restart your computer and open ProTools.

• DJ Go-iLL
    DJ Go-iLL Member Posts: 19 Member

@Jeremy_NI I’ve tried this and it did not fix the problem. Any other recommendations?

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,299 mod

@DJ Go-iLL When you say that the keyboard is not working properly, what are the symptoms exactly ? Is everything functional in Komplete Kontrol in standalone ?