What is next for Maschine +, road map?

Comments

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru
    edited July 2023

Hmm.. I wonder what might be a better choice than using a NUC?

From the article: The NUC faced a number of challenges, however. While some models were better-suited to gaming and other demanding tasks, it became a challenge to stuff increasingly power-hungry CPUs and GPUs into compact cases. 

• MaikR
    MaikR Member Posts: 293 Pro

Well, I think non of this is on the M+ roadmap, at least not for version 1 😉

And I really wonder what is…?

• Ikatxu
    Ikatxu Member Posts: 22 Member

It could be, but the worries around the announcement are most likely needless. I don't know the details of whatever contract Ableton and Intel have, but it is very likely that it secures processors for long time to come, and after that they will roll out P3+ or P4 that uses a newer processor.

Intel discontinuing their own PC lines doesn't necessarily mean anything for the development of the technology either. Their business model has always been mainly as an OEM partner, and they can't really compete with companies like Lenovo or HP when it comes to selling PCs, so as long as Lenovo and HP are selling PCs that use Intel, it is just the natural business strategy focus fully on the OEM side.

Ps. I'm personally not inclined to spend $2k on P3 either, since it is about 3x what I paid for P2, and the technology seems a bit outdated to justify a price tag that high. And to bring this back closer to the topic of the thread, same goes for M+

• Percivale
    Percivale Member Posts: 219 Pro

There isn't a road map that's forthcoming or shown to users so what you read here are just fillers until we actually do. No diff from a chat.

So many wish lists out there already.

Stability and CPU efficiency as firsts for me.

• MaikR
    edited July 2023

Well maybe I like to keep on dreaming or hoping that some day this company we've / I've trusted for such a long time is willing to communicate with its users / customers.

Yes, stability improvements and bug fixes are key, but when it comes to using it as a ‘standalone unit' the user’s voice should be taken into account, too. Especially when a company decides that there’s no future for it… or they’re switching to another business model like they did with Traktor Pro.

A lot of companies are using roadmaps nowadays. Not with exact dates or timelines, but for users to see where they are heading with the product. Even larger companies like Microsoft have development roadmaps publicly available, especially when it comes to subscription based products like M365. But also smaller companies like Obsidian started using it:

It’s part of real Community building practice. And, the company should actively participate, too to build trust. Native Instruments is changing rapidly, and buyers of their products are left behind (…so it seems). A roadmap could clarify things up a bit, as the latest update to M+ is long ago and immediately needed a bug fix, which again took way to long for them to release it (or perform a temporary rollback).

So again, I’m not asking for all new features like running VSTs for which the hardware isn’t sufficient. But, if they ever want me to buy a version 2 of the product, then I need them to act differently, and also to improve the workflow: from the activation and registration of the M+ to the import and export of projects, or from the file structure and loading / saving samples and library items via the USB ports to the practical use of the available WiFi-module and the two large screens for a better UX.

So as long as NI doesn't start the conversation with us as their loyal customers I won’t invest my money in buying more of their ‘tools’.

• MaikR

Oh well, it seems the cpu isn’t even a bottleneck…

• Bendagoros
    Bendagoros Member Posts: 12 Member
  • nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru
  • OhulahanBass
    OhulahanBass Member Posts: 172 Pro

I would be happy to see any forward motion. Maybe give us a new plug ever so often while cleaning up stability and strange annoyances.

It really is close to solid, I‘ve had plenty of flawless lil jams sessions lately in standalone mode. For jam sessions standalone feels far more immediate in both setup and performance. I got a battery stand screwed in under the M+, all I need for a jam is my M+ and a pair of headphones or some cables to plug into my friends mixer and I’m good to go, it’s a luxury, I hope it keeps NI’s support!

• Percivale
    Percivale Member Posts: 219 Pro

If what the NI representative on social site said is true, then it gives a sliver of hope and possibly room for further improvement. Kontakt already streaming from disk you say, make use of the possibility to enhance what is almost a A+ solid piece of gear (sans the quirks).

• MaikR

At this point Native Access is down, again. It’s still possible to use downloaded apps and libraries, but it also demonstrates a single point of failure… too much depends on NI servers being up and running, which includes (re)activation of hardware.

• MaikR

While searching the support section at NI’s website I bumped into this very promising statement…

Glad I didn’t hold my breath 🫣

• AdelV
    AdelV Member Posts: 304 Guru

To be honest - i know that is not to easy to improve such complex deviece, but this takes too much time. 1.5 is problaby on the way but not this month in my opinion.

• basehead617
    basehead617 Member Posts: 135 Advisor

Starting to have a feeling that worse than minimal updates, Maschine line might be discontinued/EoL’d soon..

• MaikR

Same thoughts here… especially with the new Kontrol S61 being released. And, little bits of history repeating: the software integration isn’t finished.

This discussion has been closed.