why 2 versions of Kontakt?

henrod
henrod Member Posts: 5 Member
edited 9:11AM in Komplete General

Hi all. New guy here. I just purchased/installed Komplete Standard on my mid-2014 retina MBP running Catalina. I have the samples on an external SSD. I'm using Komplete as a plugin for DP10. I do a solo act with tracks and have been using hardware synths forever, but Sweetwater had a great sale and interest-free promo, so I took the plunge.

I have MANY questions, but I'll start here - why were 2 versions of Kontakt installed? One is Kontakt and the other is Kontakt 7. I've been using 7 as I explore everything. Is there any reason to use the other one?Last one for now - I don't intend to use Kontakt on the gig - I capture everything to audio at home, and simply play back on the gig. But if I did want to use one of the keyboard samplers... how would I go about installing only those samples on my internal HD? Run the installer again? Copy them from the SSD to the internal, but where? And how would I get DP to "see" the samples on the internal drive when it looks for them on the SSD normally?

Thanks in advance!

Scott

Best Answer

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,314 Expert
    Answer ✓

The older name of Kontakt 6 is Kontakt. All versions before and after K6 owns version numbers.

You can run both parallel IMHO.

Answers

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,314 Expert
    Answer ✓

The older name of Kontakt 6 is Kontakt. All versions before and after K6 owns version numbers.

You can run both parallel IMHO.

• henrod

Thank you.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,157 mod

Quote : "how would I get DP to "see" the samples on the internal drive"

Did you try consulting the DP10 manual ? :

Ref. : https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/software/dp/v1013/Digital+Performer+User+Guide.pdf

CHAPTER 4 : Content Browser

Places: Folders on your hard drive(s). Click the

Add Place item to add a folder to the list. The

folders can contain any content that is relevant to

Digital Performer, including audio files, loops, etc.

CHAPTER 5 : Audio File Management

look at page 57 :

• henrod

I didn't, but I will now. Thanks for the info.

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,157 mod

That is the wonder of digital manuals ! Prior it could take you hours or days to locate something in a huge manual, with an electronic manual and a computer then you can easily both browse so fast and do a search within the document ! 🙂

• henrod

I've always found the MOTU manuals to be daunting, and I've always been a very simple kind of user. 95% MIDI and only a bit of audio here and there. I guess I should try on my own first... Again, thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Scott

This discussion has been closed.