No MIDI devices available in Komplete Kontrol

Hijlko Soepboer
Hijlko Soepboer Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

So I have this new Intel NUC 12 enthusiast (Windows 11 Pro) to build a soft synth on but have issues with Komplete Kontrol:

It seems I do not have MIDI from my S88 to Komplete Kontrol although the USB communication itself seems to work properly (Komplete Editor seems to work fine (I can change colors on the S88), choosing an instrument in Komplete Kontrol shows relevant parameters in the S88).

BUT

Edit - Preferences - MIDI does not show any devices.

Windows 11 Pro:

The 6 Komplete Kontrol DAW/EXT etc. devices are present in the Device Manager / Software devices and are all running.

HOWEVER

The Komplete Kontrol MIDI (V4.2.0.100) device in the Device Manager / Sound section is installed, working properly but not started (which to me seems contradicting).

The events state it was installed, configured but not started. The description for not started states:

" Device NIUSB_ENUM\NIKKBD_MIDI\7&249786f8&0&822B47A5 had a problem starting.

Driver Name: oem4.inf

Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}

Service: nikkbdmidi

Lower Filters: 

Upper Filters: 

Problem: 0x0

Problem Status: 0xC00000E5"

I am no computer wizard so this is as far as I can get. I uninstalled, reinstalled all the newest stuff but this does not seem to work. Any help much appreciated.

Best Answer

• Hijlko Soepboer
    Answer ✓

I have found the issue which turned out to be a Windows issue:

• It is a new PC with Windows 11 Pro and -except for the initial startup- I have operated this PC solely using Remote Desktop Connection from a different PC.
    • As it turns out, Remote Desktop Connection has a setting Remote audio setting which by default is set to Play on this computer. This prevents some drivers to start on the remote computer.
    • When this setting is set to Play on remote computer, the drivers on the remote system are started and the MIDI devices show up.

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,254 Expert

With “all the newest stuff” you mean the s88 drivers?

• Hijlko Soepboer

I mean the newest USB drivers for S88 MK1. I noticed the MK2 drivers are different.

Also the firmware of the S88 is newer than downloadable from the site (which apparently does not offer the latest versions).

(I have the MK1 obviously).

• Hijlko Soepboer

In the meantime I tried everything in- and out of the ordinary and I might be on to something in relation to Remote Desktop Connection which up to now I have solely used for controlling the softsynth PC.

Further testing done after the diner break...

• Hijlko Soepboer
    Answer ✓

I have found the issue which turned out to be a Windows issue:

• It is a new PC with Windows 11 Pro and -except for the initial startup- I have operated this PC solely using Remote Desktop Connection from a different PC.
    • As it turns out, Remote Desktop Connection has a setting Remote audio setting which by default is set to Play on this computer. This prevents some drivers to start on the remote computer.
    • When this setting is set to Play on remote computer, the drivers on the remote system are started and the MIDI devices show up.

• gigino
    gigino Member Posts: 13 Member

Hi, if I understood correctly I have a similar problem.

I work with computer window and daw maschine 2; everything up to date including komplete kontrol software with Native access. Everything works except for one "small" detail: the keyboard doesn't play the loaded sounds, and it doesn't seem to send midi signals to the computer. So all the functions (load sounds, mixer, channel selection, play, stop, ... etc go and work the daw) but the keys don't play or record any sound or track. I reloaded the daw and also the diel kontrol software but nothing. In the "controller" dropdown of Maschine 2 kontrol mk2 it is regularly selected, however I realized that if I go to the preferences in the midi setting where I have to select input or output device, in fact, I don't see any device to select. In short, there is something wrong and it seems by deduction both in the operating systems also because I have always connected via USB kontrol mk2 to maschine plus in standalone mode everything works and plays as well; while with maschine plus in controller mode it doesn't work anymore. Can you give me some pointers? I really thank you. Louis

• Hijlko Soepboer

Hi Louis,

This indeed looks like the same symptoms. What I noticed was that the Komplete Kontrol MIDI driver was not started (Device manager / Sound, video and game controllers). This is just to confirm it is the same issue, nothing I could do about it.

Now, in my situation I was using Remote Desktop Connection to operate on the softsynth computer (the softsynth computer does not have a monitor, mouse or keyboard connected). With the wrong setting of RDC, apparently this screwed up the MIDI devices for the soft synth computer. I strongly believe this should not happen and is a major bug in Windows 11.

This is however very different from your situation. I am not a computer expert so it is difficult for me to help you on this. My guess would be that you have some other sound card / MIDI device (maybe even onboard stuff) interfering with your external devices but I could be very wrong on this. You might try to disable some possible related devices on your system.

Good luck.

• gigino
    gigino Member Posts: 13 Member

Grazie Hijlko Soepboer del riscontro.

C'è qualcuno che può aiutare?

Ho scritto a supporto di NI ma tutto tace.

Grazie