Is there a way to route the Audio In to the pitch of an oscillator in Reaktor Blocks?

Emoney
Emoney Member Posts: 10 Newcomer

I'm using Reaktor 6 blocks as an MFX plug-in so the Midi Note In doesn't work, and if I route the Audio In to an Oscillator or other modulation block it defaults to Midi zero so you can't hear the sound of the original signal. Basically I just need a utility that provides a Gate and Pitch Out between my oscillator and Audio-In but I can't seem to find one besides the Midi Note In, Which again, Doesn't work.

I'm new to Reaktor blocks so I wanted to see if anyone here knows the solution just encase I'm missing something basic.

Comments

• Paule
    Paule Member Posts: 1,328 Expert
    edited May 2023

Please look for wave to pitch/gate in the user library.

In the past time Dieter Zobel uses some macros in his buildings.

Inside the structure you need IMHO a Peak Detector.

• colB
    colB Member Posts: 761 Guru

I don't understand exactly what you are trying to do

Are you trying to use audio inputs to send a pitch signal (like a V/oct) to blocks?

Or are you sending in some 'music' that you want blocks to analyse and work out what the note values and gates are for that music?

Or something else?

Can you post more details/pics of what you have tried so far

• Emoney

Both Basically. Since I'm using Blocks MFX as a plug-in insert and not as an Instrument itself the Audio it's receiving is from a separate midi instrument on the same track which is why the Midi Note In won't work; I'm stuck with the Audio In.

All I need is some utility that converts wave to pitch/gate but I can't seem to find any so I wasn't sure if there's a work around of some kind?

I'll post some pics later when I have more free time to better illustrate

• colB

All I need is some utility that converts wave to pitch/gate

:) sometimes the simplest concepts are the most difficult to implement.

pitch detection is notoriously difficult. It's easy to do it badly, but to do it so that you can easily use the results in multiple different contexts without having to modify your approach to 'help' the pitch detection to work is a whole different ball game. This is a very difficult thing to do well.

For it to 'just work', you need perfect tracking to avoid glitches, an algorithm that handles noisy inputs well, it must be able to deal with vibrato and bends on the input, low latency (this rejects most algorithms, and no latency is impossible)... it's basically something that if you solve it and find a way that ticks all the boxes, you could probably run a successful business based on just that tech!

Seems to me like it would be much easier to find a different system that does let you use the midi notes, or at least find a workaround based on that concept anyway.

• Emoney

Hmmmmm... What about using Blocks as Midi Fx?

The reason I was trying to use Reaktor as MFX is because the Midi Note In with Blocks Midi FX is monophonic and doesn't allow chords, bends, etc. But would somehow converting the midi data in blocks to make it polyphonic be achievable? Or would that just be equally as complicated?

Either way thanks for the help btw. I'm new to this kinda stuff

• colB

Why do you want to use Blocks?

'Blocks' is a framework specification based on Reaktor Instruments that is specifically designed for audio based monophonic processing, to partially emulate control voltage based hardware modular systems like Eurorack. So probably the worst thing to try and use if you want to work with polyphony and MIDI.

Why not just use standard Reaktor modules where polyphony and MIDI are right there and ready to rock?

I'm not sure what MFX is, and you haven't said if you're using Reaktor in some particular DAW, or standalone... but if you post some questions about what you are trying to achieve rather than how you have imagined you might do it, maybe folk will have answers?

• Emoney

MFX lets you use Reaktor as a multi-effects plug in on an instrument track.

With MFX you can route the Audio in to the Audio out, and still have polyphonic use of the instrument since its the direct wave signal that's passing though, and there's still a few effect blocks you can use in between that work fine. I'm using Reaktor through Logic.

What I'm trying to do is use Blocks to create custom effects chains for any instrument of my choosing outside of Reaktor. I just need the wave to gate/pitch like I mentioned earlier, but I wasn't aware that was basically impossible.

It just seems weird to me for them to allow you to use blocks as a multi effects insert and not be able to use it to its full extent considering most modulation is out of the question without gate/pitch.

• Paule

So you look for an utility like WIDI 4, wave to midi?

• nanotable
    nanotable Member Posts: 93 Advisor
    edited May 2023

I’m still not quite sure I understand what you’re trying to achieve. You want to use Reaktor (Blocks) as an effect processor, while sequencing some sound generators in the same Rack at the same time, using an external midi source?

If that’s correct, then it’s easy to do in Ableton Live, and I suppose it should work in Logic as well. Unfortunately I’m not familiar with Logic and can’t help out. But if you explain a bit better what you want to do, then maybe someone else can chime in.

• Emoney

Yup that's exactly what I want to do.

If you don't mind explaining how to do it in Live then I might be able to implement it in Logic.

• nanotable
    nanotable Member Posts: 93 Advisor

Sure, just set up a new midi track (in Live), route the output to the track containing Reaktor fx, and select the plug-in instance (and midi channel? I’m not sure — I can see 16 „different“ Reaktors, I just select the first one called 1-Reaktor 6 FX). The notes from this midi track will appear in the Util Note In block in Reaktor, as usual. Good luck!

• Paule

… as usual. Good luck!

A good answer to your question: „Is there a way … audio 2 P/G“ — It's solved!

• colB

but I wasn't aware that was basically impossible.

It's not impossible, it's just going to be something that you will need to work with to learn the limits... it won't just be a transparent plug'n'play type of thing.

It is impossible to do it with no compromises, but if you find an approach with a compromise that is ok for you, it should work out!