Add keyboard aftertouch support to Maschine

Kymeia
Kymeia Member Posts: 3,605 Expert
edited April 2023 in Maschine

This is a FR for performers and musicians who are unable to fully use their keyboard's midi expression capabilities with software instruments in Maschine due to lack of support for aftertouch. We have an absurd situation where NI 's own flagship S Series keyboards, which have pretty good aftertouch, are not fully compatible with Maschine, nor are synths like Massive X which actually has a dedicated aftertouch modulator, not to mention that almost all software and many hardware synths also support aftertouch modulation. As far as I know Maschine is the only host that actively filters it out. I know there are historical reasons for this due to poor design choices early on in its development, but it's about time this limitation was put to rest once and for all.

In my view this is essential because this isn't just causing incompatibility with current synths and limiting the ability of performing artists to use their keys expressively within Maschine (which for me means I just don't bother with it much as I would like to for soft synths), it's basically a barrier to Maschine and other NI software embracing the new generation of midi and musical expression capabilities including not just channel but also poly aftertouch, MPE, MIDI 2, and MTS-ESP and innovative keyboard controllers like Seaboard and Osmose. Please support this FR.

Comments

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

Wouldn't the logical thinking behind this be that if aftertouch is something you need that you buy a keyboard that has aftertouch capability?

Anyway, I read in a cached post from the old forum that it requires 'Channel Pressure' to be applied, opposed to poly. Is that something that was removed in newer versions?

https://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=maschine+aftertouch&d=4674672702093078&mkt=en-CA&setlang=en-US&w=gMxrsRbdLNlNy9-J6Hn96iihmuu8U9Th

• Kymeia
    edited April 2023

I have several keyboards that have aftertouch capability including, ironically, a NI S-Series MkII - but I can't use any of them to the full extent of their capabilities in Maschine because it filters aftertouch from keyboards out. Hence the longstanding FR

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,301 Expert

+1

@Kymeia the initial post is of the TL;DR category - maybe consider to post the essential request first and move the lengthy recap of the tedious history after that. Just a thought.

• Gee_Flat

@Kymeia Ahh ... once again I didn't get the OP. So what you're saying is when using a keyboard with Maschine software it doesn't support it?

• Kymeia

Yes - well it actively filters it out

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited April 2023

+1

For keyboards or any other type of controller that has AT, it's a general MIDI feature and it's sad that MIDI 2.0 will prob become popular before MAS gets aftertouch support. lol

On a side note I co-sign what @ozon said, consider making requests threads way simpler.

• Kymeia

OK I took out the preamble thanks

• Gee_Flat

The other thing is: I always confuse discussions about Maschine software with 'Essentials' which is what I thought you were referring to.

So you have a S keyboard that I assume all works with KK software and aftertouch, but you're referring to the synths that are a part of maschine - such as the discontinued Pro 53 you posted about.

Just thought I'd bump this. 😉

• Kymeia
    edited April 2023

Thanks. What I mean is if I load synth plugins (eg Massive X or Arturia Pigments which are both synths where aftertouch is used very prominently) in Komplete Kontrol I can play patches that use aftertouch the way they are meant to be played and sound. If I load the same synths and patches in Maschine they will sound and perform differently because it doesn’t support aftertouch. I would however love to be able to use Maschine for this as unlike Komplete Kontrol which is a very limited player host, Maschine can do things like record tracks and integrate fx in projects

• caramba
    caramba Member Posts: 15 Member
    edited May 2023

They are so busy at selling expansions that unfortunately there is not enough time to develop a serious tool. 😠

Fortunately, I have bought a 2nd hand Maschine and not a fully priced new one. Regarding the number of ignored requests through the years company wide, I give up with their tools.

• Kymeia
    edited May 2023

So I'm asking myself what is the point of an update to add Poly Aftertouch and Channel Aftertouch tags to Maschine?

I'm wondering if this is a sign that NI are planning to bring out a new keyboard with Poly Aftertouch capabilities (and if they do hopefully this will finally drive them to also fix this limitation in Maschine)?

• D-One

I'm lost, in what update did that come? Where do you see those tags?

• Kymeia
  • D-One
    edited May 2023

Oh, wow... lol!

Pretty odd... When did you notice the update? Today? EDIT: Nvm the date is in the release notes.

It jumped from 2.17.0 to 2.17.2 🤔

• Kymeia
    edited May 2023

I just hope I am right about what it implies

One thing that is odd, and probably an error, is these tags are available for FX too