What is causing a high pitched noise on output?

Droseth1
Droseth1 Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

Hi,

I have a traktor kontrol s4 mk3. It’s relatively new. The main outputs continuously output a high pitched squeaky sound. Any ideas on what’s causing it?

thanks!

Tagged:

Best Answer

• AnderOtis
    AnderOtis Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Answer ✓

Disable any effects or filters in the Traktor software to see if they are contributing to the issue. Try connecting the controller to different audio sources to determine if the problem is specific to the controller or not.

Answers

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,320 Expert

I once had that when an USB devices connected to the same computer made some kind of power feedback.

Does it also happen on the headphones out? Does it happen if traktor is not on? Does it happen if s4 is on, but not connected via USB to anything?

• Droseth1

It stops when I turn the traktor off. It does not come out of headphones or booth, just main output. It’s plugged into a patch bay, and I’ve checked that and the cables. Nothing else plugged in the patchbay causes this problem.

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru

Any TV devices sending audio to your system somewhere?

• Droseth1

Yes it is connected through the patch bay. The TV is nowhere near the Traktor.

• Gee_Flat
    Gee_Flat Member Posts: 906 Guru
    edited March 2023

So you think I asked that question for nothing? 😋

Disconnect it from the bay and report back. If I'm wrong, you can eliminate that element. Generally I am wrong.

• Droseth1

Ok I disconnected the TV source, but the high pitch noise is still there. It’s definitely coming from the Traktor.

• Markovicz
    Markovicz Customer Care Posts: 381 mod

Do you still experience the sound? Is it audible already with normal gain levels or do you have to crank them up? Does it disappear when pulling down channel faders?

• AnderOtis
    AnderOtis Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
    Answer ✓

Disable any effects or filters in the Traktor software to see if they are contributing to the issue. Try connecting the controller to different audio sources to determine if the problem is specific to the controller or not.

• Bill Batska
    Bill Batska Member Posts: 4 Member

Hi Guys, I'm having a similar problem. I originally had the S2 and had no problems regarding Audio running the WASAPI driver, I didn't even know there was an ASIO driver for the S2 until I had this problem with the S3. Now I have the S3 on the same laptop and I'm at my wits end. Everything from Win 10 to drivers have been updated and I still get this high pitched sound coming through speakers and headphones. I also do 4K video editing on the same laptop. As a test to break down what could be a possibility, I ended up disables the editing program via MS Config and it eliminated the problem, so I thought it did. After a few days it's slowly coming back. I conected my iPad to make sure its not the controller and that worked fine. I have also done a test with Latencymon and it shows very good results. Another test that I have done is played music from win media player without launching traktor but using the S3 conected to my PA speakers and I get the same result. The minute I unplug the controller, the audio from win media player works fine. I've kept the laptop clean and only installed an editing program, OBS for streaming and Traktor Pro 3. I can video stream to multiple platforms at once with no issues but cant seem to figure out the high pitched squeal when I'm running Traktor on its own with nothing else running. I have also tried that ASIO4ALL driver and that was a complete disaster so I quickly uninstalled it.

Has anyone had this experience, would love to have some input if there is something that I have missed.

• Scratch-E Con
    Scratch-E Con Member Posts: 89 Advisor

This will solve your problem: https://www.delock.com/produkt/62588/merkmale.html

Not cheap but it works, I use one myself.

• Bill Batska

Thank you so much for your response @Scratch-E Con, Just as a test I have stuck my S2 MK3 on the same laptop as a test with the ASIO driver and it works like a dream, no crackles, pops or high pitched noises. I have some sort of driver issue running my S3 with the WASAPI drivers unfortunately. Even running the laptop on battery to isolate a power conflict was the same outcome.😥

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert

It is highly preferable to use ASIO driver to WASAPI driver anyway....

The solution by @Scratch-E Con may help great deal, if there is grounding problem or problem with ground loops.

Generally, it is highly advisable to run all connected equipment (PC, controller, loudspeakers, ...) from the same wall electricity outlet. Outlets even in one room may be on different network branch, or one of them may be sort of defective (loose grounding wire or so...). And it creates big ground loops which work as sort of antena that catches signals from TV/radio set, TV/radio broadcast, mobile phone/broadcast, microwave oven, switchable power sources, PCs and many more....

• Bill Batska

Thank you so much for your response @Kubrak.

After all the tests I have done and totally understand where you're coming from regarding ground loops and all other electronic devises that could cause audio conflict, I have come down to the conclusion its after the last Traktor 3.9 update. I use the ASIO driver for the S2 unfortunately there is no ASIO deiver for the S3. I have done tests with the S2 now and I have similar problems using the ASIO driver so it's definitly after the 3.9 update. Work around is to go into windows MS config and disable conflicting programs. So far thats the only solution.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert

@Bill Batska

You may try to use older Traktor. Installation of new version does not remove it from the system. Instead it is in Traktor Backup folder. And all previous Traktor versions used....

• Bill Batska

@Kubrak

Thank you for your reply. After a weeks worth if testing and jumping through rabbit holes, I was at my wits end. I did run the older version of Traktor, the system become very unstable from crackling, popping and robotic high pitched sounds regardless of what I did. Eventually I had a brain storm and bit the bullet, I Backed Up all the Traktor files, I then totally Uninstalled traktor/drivers and reinstalled Traktor 3.9 again from scratch. The problem was still there so I started digging in deeper and went into my bios setting, I discovered and disabled Hyper-Threading, I disabled CPU C States but left Intel speed Shift on to stop the processor from peaking and BANG.... I feel like I have a new computer. The processing power I have now on my laptop is mind blowing. As a test I threw in some MP4 video track into Traktor that use to crackle like crazy and to my surprise they were playing back perfectly so the standard WAV and MP3 formats were a walk in the park for Traktor. Hopefully this will help someone digging through the forums. The main cause was CPU C States as it prevents the CPU from running at full throttle to conserve power.

Hope this helps someone as CPU C States is not mentioned anywhere on the NI site.