How to see iCloud folder?

Alta
Alta Member Posts: 17 Member

Hi,

I can't see under Files the iCloud folder. I added it manually in preferences/add folder...scanned it...however Maschine software doesn't see it. Did I miss anything..?

Thanks!

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

There is no relation between a custom User Library path and the FILES browser, meaning a path you added thru preferences won't be automatically bookmarked as a "Favorite" in FILES but you can add it yourself.

The iCloud folder isn't a normal folder, it a shortcut to a folder named com˜apple˜CloudDocs... So to bookmark it on the FILES browser navigate to:

Your-HD-Name> Users> Your-Name> Library> Mobile Documents

Then right-click the com˜apple˜CloudDocs folder and select 'add to Favorites'.

Note: I have no idea if using iCloud to store Maschine content works well or not, especially for important things like projects and such, never tried.

Answers

• D-One
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓

There is no relation between a custom User Library path and the FILES browser, meaning a path you added thru preferences won't be automatically bookmarked as a "Favorite" in FILES but you can add it yourself.

The iCloud folder isn't a normal folder, it a shortcut to a folder named com˜apple˜CloudDocs... So to bookmark it on the FILES browser navigate to:

Your-HD-Name> Users> Your-Name> Library> Mobile Documents

Then right-click the com˜apple˜CloudDocs folder and select 'add to Favorites'.

Note: I have no idea if using iCloud to store Maschine content works well or not, especially for important things like projects and such, never tried.

• Alta

Magic! It worked. Thank you so much!

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Hey @Alta On a side note, it's not a great idea to sync folders you use in your audio applications (and specially ours) with iCloud as it can create major issues. I'm not sure it would affect you in your use case but we had a lot of painful issues related to files in folders synced to iCloud.

• Alta

Thank you for flagging that, @Jeremy_NI ! if I run out of disk space an external drive would work? Any specs you could recommend?

• aafanatic
    aafanatic Member Posts: 35 Helper

@Alta any external SSD will work. I use a 2TB NMV drive for all of Komplete ultimate and a lot of expansions. It is total overkill and if I had it to do again I would just get a regular portable SSD that connects to usb C.

• D-One
    edited March 2023

anything works really...

External HDs = cheaper, higher storage capacity, more longevity - slower and very susceptible to physical damage (like dropping it on the floor)

External SSD = Much faster, lower capacity - more expensive but borderline indestructible by physical damage.

External NVME SSD = Same as SSD's but absurdly faster, a bit more expensive (or a lot, depending on the brand), and require your computer to have a modern USB.

The above applies to the 1-2TB range, once you go above that to for example 4TB then both SSD and NVME prices start getting crazy, like 400/500$ while an external HD is still easy to find at 100/150$.

Which one did you get?

Tough pick to be honest because nowadays there's lots of brands that sell NVME's at pretty much the same price as SSD's, sometimes even cheaper altho it might require buying the drive separately from the enclosure.

• aafanatic
    aafanatic Member Posts: 35 Helper

@D-One I got the Acasis 40 Gbps NVME M.2 enclosure and the WD Black SN770 2Tb which cost about $300 to build and is connected to a Thunderbolt 4 port. But, if I had it to do again I would just get a Samsung T7 Portable SSD that can do 1Gbps on usb 3.2. I can fit all of Komplete 14 Ultimate and Maschine on there and bring it back and forth between my desktop and laptop;-)

• D-One
    edited March 2023

Oh, interesting... thanks for sharing. Note that Gbps is not GB/s.

Your setup is great, just a bit wasteful on the enclosure as you don't need 40 Gbps (5GB/s) for this kind of stuff, a half-price one rated for 20Gbps (2,5GB/s) is already good enough. Had you gone that route then it would have been the same price as a Samsung T7, +- 160+40$ but much faster.