Why do I get feedback / buzzing noise when I connect maschine mk3 through audio interface?

Mhugh09
Mhugh09 Member Posts: 7 Newcomer

I have my machine mk3 connected to my audio interface from the phones output to one of the audio inputs on my interface but this is causing an interference. Is this because the maschine is also an interface or do i need to change something in the settings?

Tagged:

Answers

• VitalContact
    VitalContact Member Posts: 8 Member

turn your LED and screen brightness down all the way. that helped for me.

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro

How would I see anything then?

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 998 Guru

Don't use the headphone output. As the name implies, it's for headphones, not for connecting to another interface.

What is "my audio interface"? It would be more helpful if you gave details.

• Mhugh09

Sorry yes Im using an m-audio 2x2 interface and I only seem to get it to work through the headphone port. How can I get it to work through the outputs?

• imagevoice
    imagevoice Member Posts: 24 Member

😱 NEVER us the headphone-out for this kind of stuff.

• Mhugh09
  • JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

Headphone is fine for this kind of stuff as long as you have some knowledge around how to address ground loop issues and the potential of having a "too hot" output. However, since Maschine has dedicated line outs, it would be a far better idea to use those.

It should be possible in the Preferences >Audio of Maschine to select which audio output you want to use instead of having to run Maschine into your interface, Otherwise if you MUST use the HP output you may need an inline ground loop isolator

• Mhugh09

The only reason I'm using the interface is because I use MPC as a DAW on my laptop and the DAW won't recognize the maschine unless I run it through the interface, do you of anyway to bypass the interface but to also still be able to use the maschine/maschine 2 software?

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,530 Expert

So, you are using Maschine as a plugin within tghe MPC software? I would have thought the audio would simply go to the host, not direct out of Maschine.

If this is not the case I think you need to describe your exact woprkflow, post some screenshots of audio settings and such because i'm a little confused what you are doing and how

• Mhugh09

Sorry no I can't use it as a plugin on mpc as I've also been having trouble doing this so I'm connecting my maschine to my interface as it's the only way I could get it to work. I'm fairly new to this so please excuse me

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited February 2023

You can buy a 1/4" jack Y-Splitter cable, mono to stereo, looks like this:

https://www.amazon.com/DISINO-Stereo-Y-Splitter-Insert-Breakout/dp/B083R6G1DQ/

A bit odd not to be able to select your interface directly on the Maschine settings tho, never heard of such, maybe you have whatever the windows exclusive mode is? which only allows one app to use the interface? I am a mac guy so I cant help there, but others here surely will.

You should not need any cables if all the software is running on the same computer.

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro

One other advantage I've been really enjoying lately of using the audio out instead of the headphone jack is that you can then use the headphone jack as a separately reputable monitor signal, allowing you to preview a new group or sound "silently" then when you have the settings how you like then routing the monitor signal back into the main output.

DJs are used to that functionality but it's really fun in M+ in a live scenario too.

• Mhugh09

So I have the maschine connected to the interface from line out L&R and it still has a really annoying interference, but when I connect it directly to my speakers it's fine. Is this an issue with the audio interface or even an issue with settings on my laptop. I'm using windows 11 and the audio interface is an m-audio 2 x 2

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 998 Guru

It looks from the photo that you're feeding the stereo output of the M+ into the "instrument" input on the front of the 2x2. That's not a stereo input.

Going by images online, it looks as if input 1 is on the rear. Assuming the unit allows panning of the inputs, you need to send the M+ outputs to BOTH inputs of the 2x2 (one left, one right).

• Mhugh09

So do you think I need a different cable to connect it the right way? Seen as my mk3 and audio interface are both connected via my laptop is it possible to get them to connect directly via USB?