Why does everyone want Tidal?

mykejb
mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,097 mod

Bearing in mind the restrictions on using Tidal commercially, why is it such a huge requirement for DJ software? Just curious ...

-- Mike

Comments

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,218 Expert

They want to play request on the fly. It has decent quality and a huge selection of both electronic but also "open format" tracks. Great for for example weddings.

You can listen to music on your phone, if you like a track add it to a playlist. Come home and instantly play that playlist on your DJ gear.

I don't want it, but I can see why people do.

• mykejb

But you can't use Tidal in any commercial/public scenario? That's what I don't get - it's not like it's a DJ pool or anything like that.

• lord-carlos

Well you course you can. No one will stop you. Maybe it's against some EULA.

• mykejb

ok ... "It's against the licencing agreement to use Tidal in any commercial/public blah blah blah" :)

Maybe that's why NI aren't rushing to integrate it into an application that's obviously very much designed to play music in public?

• lord-carlos

No, NI is not rushing anything. Not even bugs or features that are a decade old.

• SteveKDJ
    SteveKDJ Member Posts: 132 Helper

And what if the place where you're playing is Wifi-free?

Everyone's on their phones, just don't have a signal for long.

that's when everyone will realize the concept of live playback.

(No matter what year it is!)

• lord-carlos

If there is no internet you can't play the request and you use your regular tunes.

What is the concept of live playback?

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 566 Pro

It works surprisingly well with Beatport. So Tidal can't be that much different. Beatport allows an offline locker of 1000 tracks with the top tier plan.

As far as being able to play in public. Weddings and private parties don't need a license for copyrighted music. (In the US at least).

It does take a bit longer to load and analysis of tracks and a person definitely needs to make sure they are prepared to stream and reliability of a connection. And if not, they can choose the traditional Djing method.

Many people are also live streaming Dj sets now (myself included), so wifi or ethernet and a good service is already set up anyway.

You should try Beatport streaming it is so much easier.

• SteveKDJ
    edited February 2023

I was thinking of the above, or playback over Wifi :)

Personally, I'll stick to your usual musical method.

I'll take whatever I can think of and know.

When asking for something, I ask the person to describe what they want.

(artist - number) address format.

More than three quarters of people can only spell it correctly.

It's not pretty, but it works. :)

I'll take what I can... in the requests I ask the person to write down what they want. I have fewer requests that way. 😜

Let us not forget: I am talking about Hungary.

• SteveKDJ

Well here you have to pay for everything. there is a small discount for professional DJs (Registered members)

and that's it.

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 566 Pro

Yes Beatport isn't cheap. But I was kind of wasting money on buying tracks before, because I ended up with music I didn't listen to or mix more than a couple times.

You asked why they want Tidal. The simple answer is it is quick easy and so much music. All categorized and no need to store it.

• Tellmeaboutit123
    Tellmeaboutit123 Member Posts: 493 Guru

Tidal has much better quality, more choice for event djs who need this level of music diversity for their customers.

• SteveKDJ

I am not against it!!!

Unfortunately I can't wait another 100 years for the requested features and improvements.