Wouldn't it be great if USB power let you run Maschine+ in standalone mode...

Options
sashaagafonoff
sashaagafonoff Member Posts: 1 Member
edited December 2022 in Maschine

Now that I've drunk the Kool-Aid and love my Maschine+ WITHOUT all the extra controls and VSTs, I exclusively use it standalone... until now! Aaargh!!! I moved countries and didn't pack my power supply, and guess what??? USB power doesn't work the same - so even though the unit can function while on USB without power connected, it can't access the SD Card, and I can't even access the SD Card while it's in Maschine+

It would be great to just connect the USB to a power port and have it all just work as a standalone unit... but I'm guessing it can't be done because power output from a USB-B is so low. Hey NI, maybe next version of Maschine+ could use a USB-C instead of yet another unique power supply???

In the meantime, guess i need to get used to ONLY running Maschine+ as a controller only until I get a USB-C to power cable or replacement power supply that fits... :-(

Tagged:

Comments

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    edited December 2022
    Options

This is why I hate weird uncommon connectors on power supplies, if you lose yours you can't just go to a store and pick a new one the same day. IMO a locking mechanism is not worth that hassle.

Yes, the SD is part of the computer inside the M+, so if the computer does not boot it's inaccessible.

It would be great to just connect the USB to a power port and have it all just work as a standalone unit... but I'm guessing it can't be done because power output from a USB-B is so low.

Exactly, M+ needs 15V 2.6A and USB2 is only 5V 0.5A... that's a long way off, USB3 provides more amperage but it's also a long way off.

Hey NI, maybe next version of Maschine+ could use a USB-C instead of yet another unique power supply???

That would be great as USB-C is the future but wouldn't do what you expect exactly as I dont think USB-C laptop outputs are designed to deliver that much power (15V + 2.6A) anyway... afaik it can use that to charge but not as output. At least my M1 can't power the M+ via USB-C 15V PD Cable, but if I use that cable with my M1 charger it does work.

Perhaps this can be an alternative for you, buy a USB-C 15V PD Cable + an M1 MBA (or similar 30w+) charger, works fine:

Of course, since this is Apple it's rather expensive, 40$ but just get any other brand, and make sure it can deliver 15V 2.6A and if you have the right PD cable it should work fine. My Power Bank thread has more details about the cable and such:

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/7883/maschine-power-bank-guide

Or you can just buy this one from NI:

https://www.native-instruments.com/de/pricing/power-supply-40-w/

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,354 Expert
    edited December 2022
    Options

@D-One offered:

I have one of these for sale, unused, because it does not work with my M+.

• D-One
    edited December 2022
    Options

Wait, what? Are you sure? I think it was NI themselves recommending it, it has the same specs. Does the DC barrel connector not fit or something?

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,354 Expert
    edited December 2022
    Options

Yes, indeed, it’s the one recommended by NI (and on the Thomannn store). But although the physical specs for the barrel connector are the same, they are not identical and it seems that the acceptable production tolerances are different.

Mine would not make secure contact. Support at NI couldn’t reproduce the problem with their test units, which most probably were from a different production run. It’s probably hit or miss.

See attached video.

• D-One
    edited December 2022
    Options

Wow... Ok. In that case If I needed an extra one i would get this one:

It has those 2 metal tabs inside the barrel connector like the M+ original one does, I guess those tabs are a failsafe to ensure it always makes contact... To make up for tolerance issues.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,132 Guru
    Options

Just checked my 15V WITRN USB-C PD cable, and it also has those springy metal tabs inside.