Maschine+ Power Bank guide

Options

Comments

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 2,362 Expert
    Options

Ah nice thread.

I needed something similar for my Traktor S4 mk3, but from a ~12v source battery. I ended up with a step up / step down converter and some soldering.

For the laptop I bought a 12v car battery to USB C converter. If I had known those 15V PD Cable existed I would have gone that route for the Traktor controller as well.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,884 mod
    Options

Thanks, Carlos.

PD and USB-C are finally becoming common thanks to modern phones and laptops with low power consumption.

What's that setup for? Outdoor events?

• lord-carlos
    Options

Yeah, that was the idea. Though I have not used it much for that. One time I was in the middle of Copenhagen + a large soundboks. Fun times.

But also to keep all my gear in one place. It has audio out and power in on the backside, for easy connection without having to lift the s4.

• 2A2E
    2A2E Member Posts: 30 Member
    Options

A little off topic, but I use the Apple MacBook Air M1 power supply with the mentioned 15V PD Cable, also cool because I can leave the original one in the living room.

• D-One
    edited December 2022
    Options

Ohh... Snap, never thought of that, it works.. It's nice to know, thanks for sharing! I guess it can be an alternative for anyone who wants an extra power brick.

For giggles I tried the cable plugged directly into the M1 Macbook Air lol, M+ doesn't boot I guess it can't give enough juice but would be funny/ironic to power a standalone with a laptop.

• lord-carlos
    Options

Just having this cable has a backup might be a good idea. When you go on a gig but forget your power supply. It's easer to find some USB-C ones and plug your cable in, instead of trying to find a 15v barrel one :D

• D-One
    Options

Good tip. I've had that happen and had to turn to controller mode instead. I got two cables so one is going permanently into my bag!

• dj MvT
    dj MvT Member Posts: 8 Member
    Options

Seems to be running without issues.

Cheap powerbank from Amazon and cable from AliExpress. Although it doesn't meet the specs at all the Maschine is running perfectly fine on it. Ideal when traveling :)

• Supercreative
    Supercreative Member Posts: 13 Member
    Options

MERRY X-MAS @ all!

This is my solution:

So far it works perfectly! In the next days/weeks I´ll provide some information regarding hours of battery usage.

a) EASYLONGER 26800 mAh USB-C Powerbank with up to 100W PD. This thing is able to charge my 16" Macbook.

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09FT4SHSV?ref_=cm_sw_r_ud_dp_A56M9GTHKPPNJJ47CBQY&th=1

b) DSD TECH - power chord (15V 3A)

https://www.amazon.de/dp/B09FT4SHSV?ref_=cm_sw_r_ud_dp_A56M9GTHKPPNJJ47CBQY&th=1

Remark: Currently, this hyperlink is not showing the 15V cable, because obviously, it is out of stock.

• Supercreative
    Options

So far, battery loading with the 96W power adapter from my 16" MacBook takes approximately 1:30 hrs. 👌🏻

BTW: Is there no possibility to edit my previous post in this "new" forum? 🤷‍♂️

• Nico_NI
    Nico_NI Administrator Posts: 1,124 admin
    edited December 2022
    Options

You can edit your post for a couple hours after sharing it. Any mistake you'd like to change?

• Supercreative
    Options

Hey Nico, thanks for this advice.

I´m fine. No need to change something.

I was just missing an "edit button". Since I was not really active in this new forum, I need some more time to get familiar with all new things in here. 😉✌🏻

• Backbeat
    Backbeat Member Posts: 3 Member
    Options

15V Ripcord runs smoothly even if the Maschine + has 100% CPU.

The maximum power I mesured that Macshine + is draining was 10.12W .

P=U*I so I =P/U =10,12W/15V= 0,67 A or at 5V (from Battery Pack)-> 10,12W/5V= 2,024A

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,354 Expert
    Options

The Ripcord is rated at 0.6A thus it’s actually throttling your M+.

Try with a sufficient power source (Power bank with DC 15V/3A) and you will get higher current read outs.

• D-One
    edited January 2023
    Options

Not sure if it's throttling as that's hard to verify but the power requirements have to be above what's necessary just to allow users to connect devices to the M+ that take power from it, like External HD's, MIDI Controllers, or anything you might plug in it's USB ports in the future. So, the offitial minimum required specs have a fair bit of headroom.

I'm not an expert but 0.6A VS 2.66A sounds like a massive difference. USB-2 is 500 mA, M+ has 2x so that's 1A, subtracting that from the official 2.66A and we get 1.66A, so... I personally wouldn't use any power source with an amperage lower than that - assuming I'd never use anything connected to the USB Ports.

Underpowering such an expensive device long term to save 50$ or so on a propper PD solution seems all kinds of wrong IMO, but again... I'm no electrical expert.