Machine MK1 Controller working on M1 Apple Silicon Macbook Pro?

Christoph
Christoph Member Posts: 2 Newcomer
edited June 2022 in Maschine

Does anybody have a workaround to get the mk1 controller working on a new M1 macbook Pro? I checked the Intel based workaround but that doesnt work here.

Mac Osx Monterey 12.4

Macbook Pro 14" - Apple M1 Pro Chip

Best Answer

• JesterMgee
    JesterMgee Member Posts: 2,535 Expert
    Answer ✓

Yeah this is where Win and macOS differ greatly.

Old and obsolete hardware such as the rather ancient (in tech terms) MK1 controller on Windows will probably be fine as drivers for these kinds of devices carry over fine. My old Evolution MK-461C I used on Windows 2000 still works today, tho it is class compliant.

macOS on the other hand is not so forgiving and kind of demands you (and allows developers to do the same) to get with the times. "Got money for a shiny new M1... Then you must also be able to afford a new Maschine too."

Drivers for the MK1 are here:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/drivers-other-files/

Beyond macOS 10.11 you are kind of out of luck without some trickery which on an M1 system will probably not work.

Time for a new controller.

Answers

• Sunborn
    Sunborn Member Posts: 2,244 Expert

No idea what is going on in Mac, but on Windows 10 is working perfectly.

Maybe you didn't download its drivers and thus Mac can not recognize it?

MASCHINE Controller Driver 2.8.0 - Mac OS X 10.9 - 10.11 is the latest available.

• JesterMgee
    Answer ✓

Yeah this is where Win and macOS differ greatly.

Old and obsolete hardware such as the rather ancient (in tech terms) MK1 controller on Windows will probably be fine as drivers for these kinds of devices carry over fine. My old Evolution MK-461C I used on Windows 2000 still works today, tho it is class compliant.

macOS on the other hand is not so forgiving and kind of demands you (and allows developers to do the same) to get with the times. "Got money for a shiny new M1... Then you must also be able to afford a new Maschine too."

Drivers for the MK1 are here:

https://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/downloads/drivers-other-files/

Beyond macOS 10.11 you are kind of out of luck without some trickery which on an M1 system will probably not work.

Time for a new controller.

• JesterMgee

As I posted, there is a difference in how Windows and Mac are designed to support hardware and as I also linked to the same driver you posted it is clear the driver supports only macOS 10.09-10.11 which was halted in support in 2015. There has been a few ways to trick the installer on some later versions, but M1 is completely new processor architecture on a new OS release so a driver would need to be developed for it... which given the hardware's age will not happen.

This is why if you choose to use macOS you will need to accept that at some stage, you will just have to update your setup to keep pace or choose to stay on older operating systems and hardware.

• Sunborn
    Sunborn Member Posts: 2,244 Expert

"...This is why if you choose to use macOS you will need to accept that at some stage, you will just have to update your setup to keep pace or choose to stay on older operating systems and hardware....."

OFF TOPIC: And this is exactly why i never trusted or used MAC, since 1998 (and never regret that decision)! Yes, they are stable etc. etc. they have some advantages, but i never liked their "millionaire style philosophy". For me they are very overestimated machines and, numerous times in the past my tweaked Windows beat down several similar Mac's. However, i agree that for the average user, who doesn't know (or want) to "dive" inside his tool and tune it to perfection, a Mac solution might sound more appealing ...if he afford their extremely expensive prices of course.... i rather prefer to make a 2 month trip to Thailand and eat prawns every day! 😊

• Mutis
    Mutis Member Posts: 472 Pro

Class compliant devices work better on mac (and iPads btw). I’m using old Vestax controllers with my iPads

M1 is build over A chips (iPad pro) so class compliant should work also with M1 but also Apple is releasing Driverkit for latest iOS/iPadOS. DriverKit isn’t available for non-M1 based iPads which should show where the focus is being made.

https://forum.audiob.us/discussion/50498/wwdc-2022-apple-announcements#latest

Said that and to blame “someone” about compatibility… Maschine Mk3 or Traktor S4mk3 aren’t compatible with iPads due NI driver system, just audio interface in the best scenario but I can use Launchpad pro mk3 withour any issue among Vestax controllers or (also old) M-audio xsession pro etc with my iPad/iPhone due these are class compliant.

Maschine Mk1 is old but the compatibility with M1 is more related to the non-class compliance and inHouse driver from NI than new silicon. Blame NI for that or blame yourselves for put money into NI. Developing a driver for M1 could be possible in the future if cpu inside Maschine mk1 can handle it. I could plug all my old and dicontinnued vestax (the brand not longer exist anymore) controllers but I’m still waiting the day I can plug an F1 to my iPad (xone k2 or samson conspiracy or livid instruments are alternatives due being also class complaint).

When I say “NI has been too much x86 dependent and has a technical debt” isn’t just as mac user but as djing/producing buyer. Even the Z1 onky works “fully” using NI’s apps being S2/3 mk3 and old s4/2mk2 (but not s4mk3) fully usable by third party apps… and luckly so since Traktor Dj2 app seems now discontinnued… almost those mk3 seem to point a change in direction but s4mk3 and mfi excuses don’t stand anymore since Rane One works with Djay Pro app.

M2C

• tbgib
    tbgib Member Posts: 1 Member

This is a ridiculous conversation. This should not be a blame the system problem. This is a blame NI problem.

I've paid you guys tons of money for hardware - if you force me to buy new hardware, I will buy someone else's.

Get off you butts and write drivers for the new OS and processor. Otherwise this is just a chance to lose customers.

• tato
    tato Member Posts: 2 Member

100% agree with tbgib.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited December 2022

Then do it, get something else, vote with your wallet. Altho... I am not aware of any company out there that makes affordable HW (that needs drivers) and supports it for 13 years+ on MacOS.

I've eliminated Steinberg, Rane, Waves, and Avid/Digidesign from my list of companies I buy HW/SW things from exactly for the same issue: not updating drivers or their software leaving me no choice but to buy new HW or a paid SW upgrade...

The MK1 is from 2009, officially supporting it for a decade was already impressive compared to most companies out there.

• mjyigit
    mjyigit Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

traktor s4 mk1 is not working with my new apple MacBook Pro m3pro This is so bad.. you must fix this problem! in other case me and my all dj friends and also in the internet portal we will not advice NI products... I hope you can fix this in 2024's first month !!

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

https://community.native-instruments.com/discussion/440/s4-mk1-on-m1

Zero chance, it's a 14-year-old controller discontinued in 2016, old HW and modern Mac's don't combine well, unfortunately.