Exporting to audio file from Kontakt in Ableton problem. Need a Kontakt wiz'.

XinvolkerX
XinvolkerX Member Posts: 8 Member
edited September 2022 in Kontakt

Hi everyone. Who here is a wiz at Kontakt?

This ONLY happens with Kontakt (full version of 6) inside Ableton (I am using 11). This behavior does *not* happen with any other VSTi controlled MIDI track when either frozen & flattened, or directly exported to a WAV audio file.

Attached is an image example of a kickdrum that was originally laid out via MIDI in the piano roll of Ableton live 11. The MIDI "draw" is snapped to the grid perfectly (shown above the audio file) but when I either flatten & freeze, or export out as an WAV audio file, there is this ever-so-slight amount of space before the full audio sound plays (the sound is not cut off, it's as if it shifted to the right ever so slightly and is not snapping directly on the grid like the other VSTi's do when they bounce to an audio file format. This slight space actually reminds me of the behavior MP3's have in the beginning of their files (an option Ableton does not have so this isn't that)

The shift is visually noticeable as you can see, but not so far shifted that it can be noticeable to the ear, but the fact of the matter remains, is that it has moved during the MIDI to Audio conversion. And this is bothersome. This is happening with every library within Kontakt not just the one I used to make the kickdrum example for you all to see.

My workstation is strong, and I never have any latency issues with any processing. And as I said all my other VSTi's snap to grid perfectly fine when flattening & freezing or direct from MIDI to audio WAV file export.

So please if there is anyone in here can 1) explain this odd export behavior, and 2) how can I make this stop happening and allow Kontakt to behave like the rest of my VSTi's when exporting to an audio file?

thank you for any help that is offered.

Alexander

Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 9,321 mod

Hey @XinvolkerX Is the delay compensation selected in Ableton ?

• XinvolkerX

I held my breath and went to that drop down menu, saw it was checked... so I unchecked it and gave it a try and still gives me that little space in front. Grrrrr. Thank you for the idea though!

• Jeremy_NI

Is there any effect or plug-in after the Kontakt track ? Does it happen for any Kontakt instrument ? Can you reproduce this in any project ? If you can, can you post a blank project where you can reproduce the issue ?

• XinvolkerX

Now that I opened a blank project and just focused on the issue, I can see that it is not uniform to all as you can see in the new attached photo.

A little bit of space with one, some obvious space with another, and no space with the top one.

I do want to say that with the middle one you see "Hardcore Kick Configurator" which is the first one I ever noticed it happening with, I immediately looked at the samples provided within the library's sample folder and dropped some of the separate layers into my audio editor to see if the samples themselves visually had the space and they did not. I made sure to look at ones that I was using specifically, and all of their waveforms start right at 0.0.

• Jeremy_NI
    edited September 2022

You didn't answer all questions: Is there any effect or plug-in after the Kontakt track ? If you can, can you post a blank project where you can reproduce the issue ?

• XinvolkerX

Hey Jeremy, sorry about that kinda' jumped the gun there for a sec.

No there are no effects or any other plugins after the fact. In the screen shot I uploaded this morning, you are looking at a completely blank project where I was able to reproduce the issue.

But as you can see in the screen shot, while I thought it was a universal issue, I can see now that it is not happening with every sample library. The 808 library kit, its fine. the empire Breaks kick seems off too, however I am not sure if that is due to an issue the wav transition process or if that library humanizes a little off the grid so I cant say 100% its doing that by design or not.... but there is no doubt every time I transition out to wav with the one titled Hardcore kick Configurator, it's doing it each and every time.

• XinvolkerX

New bit of info. I have another library that is put out by the same company Products - Lussive Audio Store

Their library known as Screech designer does this as well. each time. I just tried it.

So I am wondering if this is product specific. Might not be a Kontakt issue.

But again.. the samples within the library do not have any space before them. So something is making that happen somewhere when the MIDI converts to Audio File.

• XinvolkerX

The issue has been located and confirmed to the Lussive Kontakt products. See attached.

• XinvolkerX
    Answer ✓

Here is proof of the fix per their recommendation... It was done by disabling convolution reverb. Hopefully they will work to create and provide an update to their line of libraries soon.

• Jeremy_NI

@XinvolkerX Thanks for the update!