Mac and Maschine compatibility

Ilaria
Ilaria Member Posts: 2 Member

Dear all, I want to get a Maschine and a Mac Book Pro but I am not sure how to proceed:

1. I would get a brand new Mac Book Pro with the new chip M2 but I read that some interfaces (MASCHINE MK3 is the one I'm interested in) might have some problem with MacBook M1 Max / Pro ... M2 is not even mentioned.
  2. My second option could be to use my old computer, a Mac Book Pro Intel Core 2 Duo, OSX Yosemite 10.10.4 and get a Maschine MK1. In this case I am worried about the not up to date versions issue. Actually I am already experiencing issues (download failed) while installing Native Access 1.5.1 as suggested by NI support.

Will Native Instrument find a solution for new the Apple chip and when? Could the second option be a good idea while waiting for the new chip relative updates?

Thanks for your support and suggestions :)

Ilaria

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓

I'd just wait a little bit until other people report what's going on with M2, it just came out, this is something you really don't want to be the first in line to do but I guess it depends if you're buying that laptop exclusively for Maschine, if that's the case wait, if you also use it for other stuff I guess just buy it now. NI does not give a straight-up ETA on when things will be fixed.

As for your 2nd option: on a Mac that old you're stuck with an old version of Maschine and buying an MK1 in 2022 doesn't sound like the best idea when you're planing to jump to the latest gen asap.

As I understand the "Interface" issues are just really that, the Audio interface, until it's fixed just use the internal Audio interface of the laptop if you don't own an external one.. But since the M2 is so new there might be other problems, so... it can be a bit risky.

Answers

• Blindeddie
    Blindeddie Member Posts: 1,559 Expert

All we know is that "It is being worked on"...no specific timeframe given. Not sure about the M2 as there is no mention in this article! (as you stated)

Compatibility of Native Instruments Products on macOS – Native Instruments (native-instruments.com)

most products will work in Rosetta mode and that is the only workaround at this point!

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 389 Pro

Until Maschine software is not native, I wouldn’t chance it. M1/M2 is the same type of processor, native M1 apps will work with M2 and vice versa.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓

I'd just wait a little bit until other people report what's going on with M2, it just came out, this is something you really don't want to be the first in line to do but I guess it depends if you're buying that laptop exclusively for Maschine, if that's the case wait, if you also use it for other stuff I guess just buy it now. NI does not give a straight-up ETA on when things will be fixed.

As for your 2nd option: on a Mac that old you're stuck with an old version of Maschine and buying an MK1 in 2022 doesn't sound like the best idea when you're planing to jump to the latest gen asap.

As I understand the "Interface" issues are just really that, the Audio interface, until it's fixed just use the internal Audio interface of the laptop if you don't own an external one.. But since the M2 is so new there might be other problems, so... it can be a bit risky.

• Ilaria
    Ilaria Member Posts: 2 Member

Thanks for your tips guys! I will let you know how the Maschine and the M2 will treat me (after someone else will share his or her experience ejejeje).

• geeklamb
    geeklamb Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

This apparently is not the case. While some NI software works with M1, nothing is currently working for M2.

While I don't blame NI for having to respond to an unreasonable degree of breaking changes from Apple, it is incredibly frustrating that they don't give even a remote timeline on when they think this kind of thing will be done. Even letting us know if M2 systems will even be able to run with Rosetta in the near to medium future would be a big help.

• Flexi
    Flexi Member Posts: 366 Pro

It is exactly the case, you can ask Apple direct, anything developed for M1 will most certainly work on M2, or it has been developed wrong in the first place, the most likely scenario is NI do not have an M2 and they are covering their own ass by saying that, that is common practice.