Maschine + as a slave with midi clock?

RobertGlotzbach
RobertGlotzbach Member Posts: 11 Member

Hello all,

I am considering to purchase the Maschine +. My idea is to program some rhythm tracks with it and when done, do additional instruments in Studio One. What I want to know is if I can put the Maschine + in slave mode so that it's programmed tracks will follow Studio One including its tempo changes.

I searched everywhere but could not find a clear answer...

Many thanks :-)

Tagged:

Best Answers

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    Answer ✓

Yeah, sure.

Over MIDI Clock or Link, the latter is a bit more modern and stable from my experience and works wirelessly but Maschine never implemented the synchronization of start/stop which was released by Link in 2017... Could be an a pro or a con depending on how you work.

• D-One
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓

No prob. That is correct.

I guess it can be usefull in composition as a way of triggering Maschine only when you want and also as a way of breaking free from having both timelines always hard synced. It's a bit hard to explain if you're not Maschine user yet, but imagine your song has 8 bars at the start without any rhythm tracks, if things are always synced you will need to add 8 bars of silence to Maschine if your synced with MIDI clock, while with link you can just manually start it whenever...

• RedwardMc
    RedwardMc Member Posts: 84 Advisor
    Answer ✓

I don't think Studio One has Link anyway

Answers

• D-One
    Answer ✓

Yeah, sure.

Over MIDI Clock or Link, the latter is a bit more modern and stable from my experience and works wirelessly but Maschine never implemented the synchronization of start/stop which was released by Link in 2017... Could be an a pro or a con depending on how you work.

• RobertGlotzbach

Many thanks D-One :-)

Do I understand it right that with midi-clock, Maschine+ will indeed start/stop from Studio One following its tempo? And with "Link" it will not start/stop..... how would the latter be useful/work?

The thing is, I am interested using in Maschine in such a way that it would not tax my computer with BBCSO loaded too much.

Best regards, robert

• D-One
    edited June 2022 Answer ✓

No prob. That is correct.

I guess it can be usefull in composition as a way of triggering Maschine only when you want and also as a way of breaking free from having both timelines always hard synced. It's a bit hard to explain if you're not Maschine user yet, but imagine your song has 8 bars at the start without any rhythm tracks, if things are always synced you will need to add 8 bars of silence to Maschine if your synced with MIDI clock, while with link you can just manually start it whenever...

• RedwardMc
    RedwardMc Member Posts: 84 Advisor
    Answer ✓

I don't think Studio One has Link anyway

• D-One

Oh, good point. I didn't check, I just assumed it did.

• kinskop
    kinskop Member Posts: 18 Helper

I don't know your setup but it's maybe important to add that Maschine+ can not recieve an send clock at the same time. So if you would like to receive Midi Clock from your computer and then pass it on to other hardware, say trough Maschine's Midi Port, that would not be possible. These devices will also need to receive Midi Clock directly from your computer.

Fortunately for me this wasn't an issue, even by using Maschine as my Master Midi Clock for my studio setup. But thats only because I sync Maschine and my DAW with Ableton Link. This way I'm still able to send a clock out of Maschine to other devices.

May this information be absoloutly useless to you 😉

• RobertGlotzbach

Hey thanks Kinsop, it sounds as if it would not be a problem for me also; no plans to use more than just the DAW and maschine+. It arrived two days ago, so I will need some time to get acquainted with it, but so far, I love it already

PS... not useless at all :-)