Why is N.I. installation so problematic?

ritchie 123
ritchie 123 Member Posts: 5 Newcomer

I tried to install all my N.I. products in a new win 10 computer. (I have maschine installed in 3 x computers)

After spending very many hundreds of pounds on new software, I have problems locating install folders for some of them. I cannot resolve this problem on any of the three installs)

Why can't N.I. install into ONE c/drive folder, instead of dozens?

This nonsense with invalid locations (now over 3 x computers) is untenable and merely indicates N.I's failure to develop working software.. Either that, or to make their software deliberately problematic)

Is it rocket science to develop software which checks all install paths and moves the problems to correct locations? (some of which don't even exist on a clean computer) Also to create correct folders and point automatically to them?

Native Access doesn't even work properly, and only worked after repeated uninstalls and re-installs.

I have severe buyer remorse after spending 900 euros updating my N.I products.

I have Maschine Studio, Maschine MK 3 and Jam.

ritchie

BG

Answers

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,159 mod

Without much real information about anything then it is difficult to give any advice or to try to answer your question. Also we need a lot more information such as version of Windows 10 , version of Native Access used , screenshot of path settings in N.A. just for starters.

Why can't N.I. install into ONE c/drive folder, instead of dozens?

You don't give any reference to what you are actually referring to, But logically and usually then stuff is not installed into one folder , I have several music software products and none of these installs everything into just one folder. Also then N.I. gives choices in folder settings in Native Access for peoples convenience and many appreciates that. I am left with the impression that either your problem stems from having used custom folder settings or you are using too tight security settings for Windows or other security programs or you might have a common problem with your Windows installations that you are not aware of ?

If problem persists then please contact N.I. Native Access and Installation Support .

At the page N.I. Native Access and Installation Support be sure to scroll down to page bottom to see if there is a log-in request , if there is then log-in,then at next page again scroll down and small blue chat box ought occur within 15 seconds. Then write in chat box and when getting suggestions then select did not help when it didn't,that ought to bring you on to either chat with human or open a ticket. There has been introduced chat support for Native Access assistance (at least daytime on normal work days)

(You need to use a browser with Cookie , Security and Extensions settings that will allow for log-in on the page for the page to work)

Please check the new KB article on How to get support through the link here

• DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 897 Guru

Actually I think NI products are more amenable to allowing users to make decisions about where they want things placed than most software. The user gets the choice of where they want their instrument libraries placed and can easily move them to different locations to aid in managing storage requirements across any number of drives. They even give you a good range of tools and facilities for determining where something is located across your drives and they automatically mark a warning on libraries that are not located where Native Access expects them to be.

I probably have somewhere close to 4 terabytes of libraries spread across several SSD's on my system yet I can easily and quickly locate any of them and every single one works flawlessly with no errors. Now if you move libraries to a different location without coordinating it through Native Access, then yes, there will be problems. But even that is easily remedied with the tools NI provides.

The fact you have three computers is no problem either unless you don't have them networked together. Of course you would still most likely want to have different local installations of the Native Access application on each computer and the references to the library locations would have to be commonly referenced somewhere within the shared network. At least that's how I do it. Have you done that?

I'm going to guess (and it's not really a stretch), that the problems you're having are less related to NI programming and more related to you not knowing how to effectively use the tools NI provides.

• ritchie 123

PC specs; 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12400F 2.50 GHz edition; Windows 10 Home

Installed Ram; 32.0 GB (31.8 GB usable) Naive Access version; 3.14.0 (all PC's)

I have not changed any file locations from the N.I. defaults on any computer. (I don't need the aggro) On my new computer, C/drive is 4 terabytes. The others are both 2 each for C/drives.

I do not share any computers nor network. All are separate, and I do not move any files to other destinations (ever) Again, I don't need the aggro and lost days and nights and paying for something so badly designed as to be useless...

." they automatically mark a warning on libraries that are not located where Native Access expects them to be."

Yes, I know that..and that is my problem. The problematic software does not even have a title! only pictures. (blue blobs as a 'descriptor'…) Might have been a good idea to name the uninstalling files, so that I could hunt for them, if the unfortunate software has installed them elsewhere.. (547 MB and 581 MB)

I would add that Traction Waveform, and Arturia softwares (and many others) all install seamlessly without ever saying that the software is in the wrong location/s and I have never had install problems with any of them, over decades.

NI does not even create folders to install at the correct locations if no relevant folders exist, and neither do they give the 'create folders '? option..

Obviously N.I software is written by people who know the software, but have not designed it to install flawlessly, and everything is a protracted mess, and just getting more of a mess as software updates and other libraries are released. .

Neither can they produce sensible user material, and the unlucky purchaser has to go to forums to try to search for solutions. If I didn't have the NI hardware I have, I would just continue to use Cubase 13 pro DAW, as I have (the original Cubase) since Atari days.

NI is expensive flawed software, with impossible to sensibly manage software upgrade paths. My Maschine software was fine on all 3 computers, until I wasted my money on 'upgrades'..

• PoorFellow
    edited 11:14AM

I have not changed any file locations from the N.I. defaults on any computer.

Thank you for adding information.

Could we please have screen shot of the File Management 'defaults' in Native Access Preferences ?

." they automatically mark a warning on libraries that are not located where Native Access expects them to be."

If there is three little dots to down right of the products and if the 'Installation path' is mentioned there and clickable could we then please be told or get a screenshot of where that points to ?

The problematic software does not even have a title! only pictures. (blue blobs as a 'descriptor'…)

This part of your description actually makes it sound as your problem could be another than what you think since this makes it sound as if what you have is old remnants of 'legacy software' showing (e.g. Kontakt 5 or Reaktor 5). If turned on then try turning off the 'Show discontinued products' in Native Access preferences.

Else , some of what you have described in your described in your last post makes it sounds as if could be related to access problems created by a general user access problems or access problems created by security programs or settings.

Again , if we in the forum can not help you or you'd rather just continue to working with support right away then if problem persists then please contact N.I. Native Access and Installation Support

• ritchie 123

Top 2 x installs will not work. Three dots at right side only show release notes, and no file paths. All defaults point to original locations, and none have been changed. Top one is something Kontact prog or small library. .

Thanks for your help.

• PoorFellow
    edited 1:18PM

Top 2 x installs will not work.

Thank you for the information and for the screenshots.

As I suspected then the two "Top 2 x installs will not work. " are related to legacy installs which if I remember correctly will disappear if turning off the 'Show discontinued products' in Native Access preferences.

If that is all your problems consists off then I am not sure if there is a 'fix' since that is a known N.A. issue : Thumbnail of Unknown Software in Native Access .

But I will call for @Jeremy_NI and ask , Jeremy_NI , sorry for bothering you , could you please confirm state of this ?

• ritchie 123

Very many thanks… Maybe my installations are OK.

best regards richard

BG

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 11,830 mod

@Mert_NI Any idea what's up here?

• ritchie 123

Yes Jeremy. The link led me to exactly the problem ..

Poster said; "Actually i see it too in my Native Access, in fact i see 2 of those! "

I have exactly the same problems, with exactly the same products. Presumably redundant installs, or something,,

thanks

ritchie

BG