Maschine+ 4-D Encoder failure

2»

Comments

• Son_of_q
    Son_of_q Member Posts: 11 Member

If your MK3 is in warranty I'd definitely send it to them for repair. If not, just ask them for the exact part number of the EC11 pot they're using and do what MKB posted earlier and get it from Mouser or DigiKey. The encoders don't seem to be any more than about £9 so it's quite affordable.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,217 mod
    edited October 14

@MKB No problem.

I’ve shown this to a few people in your line of work and everybody so far always surprised by when they see it. I wonder if they did it like this instead of an actual "joystick" was just to save money or to enable direction+pushdown in a small footprint or avoid drift and other cheap joystick long term issues.

I have a MK3 teardown on youtube if you want to see more of the inside and a thread about the M+ too.

Excuse anything stupid I might say as this is not my area of expertise, I'm just a curious idiot.

Yeah. Pretty much… If I remember correctly, pushing towards a direction raises the tactile switch in the opposite direction, causing it to click… Pretty smart.

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,633 Expert

@D-One I would assume the PCB design is the same for the Mk3. Did you ever open one of those models?

• D-One
    edited October 15

Yes, the pic i shared is from the Mk3, the M+ looks the same to me. I think I've opened everything NI i ever touched: Studio, MK3, Mikro Mk3, M+, KKS MK1/Mk2, M32 and Traktor Z2… The only thing I did not open is the KKS MK3.

• Son_of_q

@D-One You don't happen to know the exact variant of the EC11 pot used in the MK3/M+ do you? NI are asking to ship my unit all the way to Obernburg, Germany via UPS, which I've personally had really bad experience with and would rather get the repair done locally but don't want it screwed up by using the wrong pot!

• D-One
    edited October 15

Nop, I only know the the 8 endless pot models as thats the only part I've personally replaced.

Looking back at my teardown video theres no numbers on the Enc to get clues but AFAIK these are all the mostly the same… I dont think you can screw this up if you're decent with a soldering iron, but proceed at your own risk.

2+3 pin EC11 Enc, 30 Detents (counted manually) and a shaft length of around +-15mm, if you remove the cap there's a far bit of space around the shaft in the housing so dimensions dont need to be super accurate, personally I just order a couple different ones with roughly the same size and detents and try it out.

If you want to get close to OG model the take it out and mesure, that should help to narrow down the huge lists on mouser or digikey, try other things first like reseating the ribbon, give it a isopropyl clean, inspect for damage, dry/broken solder joints, reflow the solder, etc… Replacing the Enc should be the last resort.

• Son_of_q

Thank you buddy, I'm seeing if NI will cover the cost of a local repair first. They should as that's what's stated in UK and EU Warranty rules but you never know. We've got a top rate general electronics repair shop near where I live so it makes more sense for both parties to get the repair done locally at a major fraction of the cost of shipping, paying LetMeRepair (NI's chosen repair shop) and return shipping so it should be the ideal solution for them. I'm decent with a soldering iron but I'll take your advice and only mess around myself as a last resort :)

• D-One

Since they got some sort of office in the UK maybe they also have some authorised repair shops/ team, it would make sense given the size and importance of the UK and… Brexit shipping complications.

I doubht it but its worth a try if you can avoid shipping to Germany.

• Son_of_q

Exactly, Brexit has made the entire thing a nightmare. The likelihood of the unit getting completely trashed in transit is massive and then there's the whole issue of NI's repair policy that if they find anything else wrong with it outside of what I've described there will be an additional charge and the unit is effectively held to ransom until it's paid. Then it will probably be utterly destroyed by UK customs on the way back.

Also, if anyone else in the future is reading this and has the same issue, the encoder you need is an Alps Alpine EC11E15244B2 and it can be found here: https://www.mouser.co.uk/ProductDetail/688-EC11E15244B2

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,633 Expert
    edited October 15

Brave! 🦸🏻‍♂️

Regarding the zip ties: That’s also how I secured and tidied the cabling on my pedal boards. 🤓 But I used red clips and black zip ties for a heavier sound with more distortion. 🤪