what pro & contra for updating Traktor Pro3 -> Pro4 ?

The Sarge
The Sarge Member Posts: 154 Helper

hello everybody,

I usually update software as soon as it is available, unless the current version completely fulfils my requirements. Sometimes I also try to save money, especially if an update of several older versions is available at the same price.
Now I don't like the update price of 75€ for TraktorPro 4, but I would still like to know from you what pros and cons there are for the update - i.e. which old bugs have hopefully been fixed (using S4Mk3), which are still there and which are new, how stable under Windows11 etc. ?
2 pieces of information first:

1. Stems are still not interesting for me at all, due to my mixing style
  2. I haven't yet had a track where I could have used flexible beatgrids (I play Techno, Trance and Hardcore)

as always I am happy about every tip, hint, link
have a nice weekend
The Sarge!

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

Comments

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 3,395 Expert

You can use the demo and give it a spin.

But there is not too much new yet. Even some new bugs.

I can't imagine them fixing s4mk3 bugs.

• The Sarge

oh, that would be a pitty

I don´t like installing demos anymore, because there´s always something left in registry or other hidden pathes of the system, but thanks for the tip, didn´t knew that there is one for TPro4

and new bugs didn´t sound good, but did you know if the flickering is fixed?

• maniacintosh81
    maniacintosh81 Member Posts: 563 Guru

If you have no use for stems and flexible beatgridding the other two new main features are pattern player and Ozone Maximizer - now without subscription. But even if you have subscribed: You need to upgrade to continue using these features! Traktor Pro Plus is no longer offered. Running subscriptions will be cancelled (or are already cancelled).

The flickering is fixed in TP4. And in TP4 there is at least a chance that any bugs will be fixed; there will be no more fixes for TP3 most likely.

• The Sarge

subscription is no way to me, since my health causes unplanned break time by time

flickering fixed sounds good

yes, most companies stop fixing problems when a major update is released

thanks to you, too

• lord-carlos

Oh yeah, I forgot about the flickering screen issue that made sorting by bpm unusable for me on tp3. That alone is quite the quality of life upgrade for me.

And just to be clear: There is NO subscription with tp4. (And now also not anymore with tp3)

The demo will create a new folder under ~/Documents/Native Instruments/Traktor 4.x.x, which you can delete. Good to clean that up once in a while, because Traktor creates a copy with every minor upgrade. You might already have quite a few folders in there that are safe to delete. Nothing to gain by thinking about leftover registry entries.

• The Sarge

thx again

no-more-flickering would be a QOL for me too, but paying to get this fixed and for new bugs makes me not so happy 😟

• The Sarge

could you please tell me, what new bugs? maybe they didn´t affect my workflow, THANKS

• lord-carlos

Mostly around remix decks. I think some shorter samples won't play at all.

You can't change the downbeat / "the one" mid song. You can set it where you want, but in tp3 you could choose to reset it to another beat later on. In my collection I only have very few songs that need that.

As far as I know both issues have been addressed by NI in the forum and I would suspect they are looking into these. But if either one is important for you I would just wait.

• The Sarge

thanks again

hmm, even with deepl.com I didn't quite understand what is meant by the 1 in the middle of the song. Sometimes the 1 is not where it really is at the beginning, then I delete it, set a new cue point to which I assign ‘Grid’ and everything is okay again -> is that what you mean? hope not, because that's the case with classic techno.

Remix-Decks where a point to chose Traktor over other, but to tell the truth: didn´t used them till know nor really tried them 😜

so hopefully the "the one" thing isn´t that what I need, TraktorPro4 is getting closer to my "buy now"-list → because when transfering from old PC to new one, something went wrong, so I´ve to do a lot edit in the track-collection, but with this flickering it´s a pain in the ******$

• The Sarge
    edited October 14

there was so much text here, was deleted by the AI because of one word :(
    so again:
    even with Deepl I didn't quite understand the point with ‘the one’, does that mean something like this: sometimes, especially with old techno tracks, the grid is not on the 1st BD, then I delete the marker, put it in the right place and give the CUE the ‘grid’. If this is not what is meant, TraktorPro4 moves to the top of my shopping list!
    Something went wrong when I moved to the new PC, so I have to edit a few things in the track collection, but with the flickering it's really exhausting and takes up unnecessary extra time, which would have been done with TP4.

Translated with DeepL.com (free version)

• lord-carlos

When you listen to a track you count the beats 1 2 3 4 1 2 3 4

"the one" is the down beat. And you can set that in both tp3 and TP4.

But in very rare cases the downbeat changes mid song. Currently you can't have two different downbeats with tp4.

• The Sarge

thank you very much for explanation

I don't think I've ever had anything like that, only occasionally that the 1 of the 4 bar scheme came after 2 bar instead of 4, so TP4 is coming nearer and nearer 🤩

btw: updates are not possible to use the Xmas-voucher on, right? but if, I´ll wait till then 😉

• Patch
    Patch Member Posts: 301 Pro

No reset downbeat with Grid Marker. Makes 4 unusable for me.

• The Sarge

as I´m coming from Cubase, I loved the possibility to have the choice of running old and new version, so I ask you: is it possible to switch using TP3 and TP4?

@Patch sorry, but can you give a little desription what you try to do and didn´t work? thx

• lord-carlos

Yes, you can switch between them. But they will have a different collection.nml

So if you update a playlist in one it will not update on the other version. Unless you start the import again.

Patch just re-iterated the same thing I said, you can't reset "the one"