Maschine+ Mute group midi only

S Righteous
S Righteous Member Posts: 158 Helper

At the sound level, you can mute just the midi, or the audio as well, which can be quite abrupt, but if it's a long sample - sure.

I can't find any way to have the Group level mute the midi only? Usually that's the mode I prefer - let the loops play out one last time before I make a change. Is this possible? I have a weird memory that my early experience with Maschine was that it only did midi mutes at the group level, so perhaps there is a global setting I am not seeing?

Answers

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,648 Expert

Interesting question! I always thought that Group mute was in fact just muting the Group audio outputs, including the sends.

Maybe the sends can be excluded?

• S Righteous

Well I believe muting the group does not mute the cue of course, so you can cue it.

But can you have the group mute only mute the midi info, and not the audio as well, as you can for sounds?

• Warpt1
    Warpt1 Member Posts: 28 Member
    edited October 9

The audio coming from the midi sequencer only happens because the midi sequencer is playing specific notes as you programmed them so killing the pattern (midi) will kill the audio, where any given group can only have one pattern playing at a time, muting the group will mute the instruments being played by the midi pattern as well.

While it would be awesome to have a pattern sync, like insanely awesome, changing patterns within a single scene is instant and you have to time it right, like between the end of the last note of a bar and the 1 count because the audio from that pattern will drop out until the next midi notes are played.

But we do have Scene sync. Press IDEAS button in the top left. While holding Shift+Follow/Grid press pad 6 to select "Scene." if in ideas mode, "Section" if in song mode. Now you can have a set scene length. I.e. 8 bars and when changing scenes, the currently playing scene will finish before switching to the next scene.

If you create the next scene early enough or set a long enough scene length you can click patterns on/and off in scene 2 while scene 1 finishes, and if you get it done before scene 1 finishes, scene 2 will be ready to go, armed with a new pattern from your existing selection, or you'll be ready to loop the next one. You can also utilize the step sequencer to edit patterns you've duplicated while it's waiting to switch, and if you need more time you can just click back to scene 1 before the end of the loop and let it restart, then go back to working on your new scene after selecting it.

I got lucky and somebody sold me a Maschine Jam for a really great price, which I use for having 1 button access to creating/switching patterns and scenes, where doing it from the M+ requires jumping between the ideas menu and the pattern menu, which is manageable once you get used to it.

• S Righteous

Just to clarify this point: "The audio coming from the midi sequencer only happens because the midi sequencer is playing specific notes as you programmed them so killing the pattern (midi) will kill the audio,. . . "

- not if it's a 16 bar loop for example.

If you have a midi note triggering a 16 bar loop, once it's triggered, the audio will play on. But at the sound level there is an "audio mute" option, so that when you mute that pad, the 16 bar loop is muted, even though it's midi note may have been triggered 4 bars ago. If you only mute midi (at the sound level) that 16 bar loop keeps playing, but is muted on the next replay of the pattern.

With groups, there is no "audio mute" option, it's always set to audio mute, and that's a shame. I assume there is no workaround for this.

• Warpt1
    Warpt1 Member Posts: 28 Member
    edited October 10

My bad I misunderstood and after playing with my M+ and digging through the manual.. and learning a thing or two the closest things I came to it were pressing stop to stop the sequencer, which you could come back in with "restart" , or simply creating a new pattern. The only other way I personally know if to get an entire group to finish a loop and not restart is via scene sync.

I defer to those more experienced on whether there is another way as I'm not seeing it.

• 6xes
    6xes Member Posts: 714 Pro
    edited October 9

will the locks state help?? limiter on the FX? *shrugs

create a additional duplicate pattern, with the midi muted

• S Righteous

I haven't used Lock States with any full project, so I'm going to test using those to achieve the results I want, and I have a feeling that is the best route here. But I will report back.

• S Righteous

You can mix volumes to zero and have the lock apply those. I'm a bit wary of adjusting volumes in this way, until I do more testing, as it takes me a long time to get the right mix.

I like that you can morph! But I don't like that Lock is a snapshot of 'everything' - I think it would be very useful for example to have macro only locks, or mute state only locks. I use mutes and scenes to create arrangements live - and it would be awesome to be able to return macros to 'reset' starting values for different sections - but Lock saves group mute states as well, which kills that idea unless I use locks for everything, and don't use Scenes and group mutes for live arranging.

• Psyearth5
    Psyearth5 Member Posts: 295 Member

I recommend you to look at Lock States because it's very useful for doing everything you described but at the same time do much more controlling multi Parameters and morphing between them on linear Time Line in Patterns Song Mode, Clips. I trigger them with Note in Maschine by making MIDI going out and coming back. All of 3 exclusive Controls I can control all of them and I would be able to control 16 different Controls.

For Program Change I use external MIDI device via USB for Kontakt and Reaktor sounds change. I see that on computer it's easier to adjust it in Preference under MIDI settings.

I do everything in Maschine Standalone Mode only, previously I was MK3 and did everything in Maschine only. I have couple of DAW's but I couldn't accept that Maschine is not capable for finishing everything so I took a Week to use Maschine only and it's become so fast and with amazing features I started to do Music only when I'm inspired, more accurate during the inspiration and it was big thing for me.

I hope that you will explore those Lock States and do Volume Faders down immediately or during Fade in or out because it's better than sudden Cut off the group or sounds.

• PeterB49
    PeterB49 Member Posts: 24 Member

Just switch to an empty Pattern should do it