Ask Kontakt 8 creators anything

Comments

• Rob61
    Rob61 Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Sorry, you're right, yes I can elaborate. I am relatively new to the "NI World" but I have been working in IT for 40 years, so before pulling the trigger on the NI instruments/MK3 keyboard combo (or any other tech stuff, for that matter) I have done some research because I wanted to understand how much future proof the NK3 hardware was. Now, I know that that hardware has a lot to give, at least for the few specs I could find (not too much, honestly I would like to know more about what's inside those things, and I wish NI was a little more transparent about it, unless it was me unable to find the info I wanted). So the point is, I am assuming, on the little info I have, that the MK3 has a lot more potential than it delivers today with K7, so I was wondering what were the improvements in relation to the hw/sw integration.

K8 seems to be a first step, but since I never install anything on first release, I usually wait between 3 and 6 months (sorry, I don't like to be a paying beta tester, I know pretty well how these things work) I don't have it already up & running. So was asking aroung, trying to gather more info.

Hope it's clearer now :-)

• Calagan
    Calagan Member Posts: 187 Advisor
    edited September 25

Regarding the migration issue (a very big one for any pro user), at least something NI could do is an easier way to copy preset/snapshot from one instance of Kontakt (K5 for exemple) to another (K8 for exemple).

Instead of being obliged to :

• open previous Kontakt version
    • save the preset in a temporary "ad-hoc" folder (because these presets files can accumulate and will not be use ever again outside of a specific session you want to migrate)
    • then open the new version of Kontakt
    • click open a preset
    • go to search the preset in the new temporary ad-hoc folder (that is, of course, not the default folder where Kontakt will search for new presets)
    • open the preset
    • compare both versions to verify if it sounds the same

NI could implement a simple feature of copying a preset directly from a Kontakt instance and paste directly into another, like if it was a text going from one document to another migrating through the clipboard. This way, it would bypass the create folder / access the folder procedure. And when you've got some dozen of Kontakt instances to migrate in a session (and dozen of sessions to process), any quicker procedure is welcome.

The Tokyo Dawn Labs plugins are working like that.

Of course, the iPluginCompatibility feature enabled would instantly fix the issue : but it's up to the DAW creators to implement it in their product…

• MaikR
    MaikR Member Posts: 290 Pro

@Matthew_NI why can’t the older Kontakt version be patched and made ‘context-aware’…?
    That way NI products would become less dependent on 3P software.

• Efalc
    Efalc Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

+1, is there any solution or tool planned or at least being considered for microtuning and xenharmonic music in general? Kontakt's Factory Library 2 is locked, as are many if not all of the new libraries, so it is impossible to use scripts with them.

• MLARS
    MLARS Member Posts: 117 Advisor
    edited September 25

Again there is no info in the manual under Installation how it works in different DAWs.

You cannot release new software every other year and not disclose how users of different DAWs are affected or address the issue of migration vs requiring users to build new templates every time.

This is critical info to provide and and an important UX case. Users may have large templates.

NI should also release Support movies about these things.

• Philipp_NI
    Philipp_NI Product Team Posts: 12 mod

The new sidebar layout you see with version 8.0 is its first incarnation and we plan to further improve and extend it step by step with input of the users of kontakt.

• Hywel
    Hywel Member Posts: 50 Member

Can KK 2.9.6 load and work seamlessly with Kontakt 8 as it does with prior versions?

• Philipp_NI

Hej thanks for sharing your feedback. We aim to improve the behaviour and control on the audio previews with future updates.

• Philipp_NI
    edited September 25

Hello, thank you for sharing your questions with us!

Plugin Migration: Automatic plugin migration for existing projects which have used kontakt 7 requires you to delete the remove the kontakt 7 plugin version from your plugin folder. Please take also a look at the linked article

Which Instruments are hires: Its unlikely that old existing content will be rebuilt with new hires UI. You can expect that the majority of new content which utilize the new UI capabilities will be hires.

Transparent Information by NI around state of Hires Content: Thanks for the suggestion!

Purge: At the moment you need to go to classic view or as workaround also to activate the option to show instrument header within default view pulldown menu. Our plan is to bring step by step features into the new default view. Purge is an candidate to be integrated with upcoming updates and did not made into the release by time constraints.

I hope these answers help you: https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/12972701353757-Notes-about-Auto-Migration-of-Kontakt-Versions-in-DAW-Projects

• corbo-billy
    corbo-billy Member Posts: 101 Helper
    edited September 25

Rectify your last link, please _

Edit: thanks .

• Philipp_NI

Thanks for your question!

To edit an Kontakt Instrument to modify instrument scripts, you need to navigate to classic view via the view menu. Same is the case for KSP Multi Scripts which are currently only accessible within classic view.

On future updates we aim to bring more features into the new kontakt experience. It's not unlikely that we will revisit also the question how to improve the experience to work with alternative tunings.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 2,065 Expert
  • Paul B
    Paul B Member Posts: 156 Advisor
    edited September 25

I am curious about how you save the snapshot in an ‘ad-hoc’ folder.

I assume you mean snapshot when you say preset? The NI terminology is confusing, you save a snapshot and then it appears in the snapshot view but also the preset browser. But I can't find a way to save a preset in any other manner. Saving a preset in Ableton Live saves something that is useless for this process because it saves the Kontakt version as part of the preset, so loading it loads the old Kontakt again.

The Kontakt 7 manual seems to think you can't change the User Content location. If you know better I would appreciate the information, because I'd like to permanently change my User Content folder to an external SSD which contains the installed libraries and user content like my Reaktor User Library.

(and if this is not possible, please Kontakt devs, make it so!)

I'd advise against ad-hoc folders generally, though. It seems messy and complicated for no real benefit. And also makes it difficult to re-use sounds. I know you say you don't need that but I think it's a nice option to have.

Without the use of ad-hoc folders the process with a snapshot is:

• save a snapshot in the default location (not given a choice here from what I can tell)
    • can now load easily into any future version of Kontakt
    • make sure that location is regularly backed up like everything else

But I get what you are saying about the way Tokyo Dawn plugins allow copying and pasting presets. I think what they have done is fantastic and one of many reasons I own almost everything they make.

• Matthew_NI
    Matthew_NI Product Team Posts: 1,284 mod

KK 2.9.6 is not actively supported, so we've neither actively blocked nor tested this.

KK 2.9.6 is the version we froze in time and make available for Kontrol S MK1 users.

This discussion has been closed.