Tried MPC 3.4 beta and it was a...

BigPictureSound
BigPictureSound Member Posts: 65 Helper

…huge miss on Akai's part.

The new UI is lovely, lot's of quality of life improvements with a much more focused and intuitive workflow.

All great except one major thing, the arranger mode is per sequence with no way to drop in "scenes" and experiment like in Maschine. I was expecting a more intuitive global arranger able to string together multiple sequences.

1:1 track workflow replacing programs is great, but without the ability to quickly experiment with composition/song structure Maschine still has a lead here.

I went ahead and canceled my MPC X SE backorder and will hang on to my MPC One to see where everything goes, but besides being much prettier, MPC 3.0 is still held back by rigid sequences and an archaic song mode.

Comments

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,563 Expert

I have a Maschine+ and also an MPC X SE (which has the new OS installed).

I think Akai have made a smart move here, to make it work more like a traditional system. They're getting a lot of positive feedback. Long term it will work in their favour IMO.

Yes it's different to the old system - but the old way was hella confusing with all its separate component parts and how they interact with each other.

I watched a YouTube video earlier of a well known MPC head trying to explain projects, sequences, six different track types, programs etc. It took him 30 minutes and I was still confused at the end. I had to watch someone elses video to get my head around it. It's a huge mess.

• BigPictureSound

3.0 is definitely much better, and a solid update for Akai, but for me, I was really looking to see how they addressed arranging a whole song while allowing sequences (scenes) to be swapped in and out quickly. Unfortunately nothing changed in that regard.

Maschine is still the fastest way for me to create because of the scene/arranger workflow. If NI adds even half of what was on that survey, Maschine 3 will be great.

• Beatsandmore
    Beatsandmore Member Posts: 81 Member

For those that have not use the MPC before software Will Never have a bias opinion.. 3.4 is good move the arranger will improve its still in beta..

Now the real question what improvements have NI done nothing with there standalone at all.. let's be nice and welcome customer focus akai listened!

• BigPictureSound

My review is fair based on my needs. Whatever NI does or doesn't do in the next update is a moot point since even with sparse updates arranging is still better in Maschine.

Why is wanting to arrange in sections or blocks a biased opinion? Anyone reading these forums is likely already a user, and will want to know.

The fact they left song mode as is with separate sequences leaves this update open to legitimate criticism. Yeah it's a great update but what's the point of any of it if finishing a song is still stuck in the old method? Also it is extremely unlikely that Akai changes how this works any time soon, like years.

NI probably already read my post and if they did then also saw the opportunity.

• Beatsandmore

It's a beta how do you know akai I respect your post I do.. I like when companies listen to there customers that's all.. 😃

• BigPictureSound

Oh yes, 100% this. Akai has a gorgeous looking standalone app but Maschine is simply better for people like us.

The amount of people commenting over social media that MPC 3 killed Maschine, and then to actually see the beta first hand and know for a fact it was bombastic exaggeration is amusing to say the least.

• Andy Wt
    Andy Wt Member Posts: 93 Advisor

Dear NI, please make "inspirational standalone hardware DAW with the fastest workflow". M+ is already more than halfway through to this awesome target

• Beatsandmore

Mpc standalone is different from maschine.. what is meant by killing maschinethey mean standalone maschine + which I bought and sent back is not there yet.. maschine software for me I use as a sound module love the expansions and instruments from NI.. as a kontrol mk3 owner I hoping for the app to work like analoglab v seamless with its hardware and fast..

• BigPictureSound

That's interesting because I ended up ordering a Maschine + which arrived yesterday after trying the MPC 3.4 beta and will be selling my MPC One as soon as I transfer the songs over.

It's for sure a cool device, I just never used it as much as Maschine.

I still feel Maschine standalone is faster, but to each their own. 👊

• Beatsandmore

Work flows is all we want I grew up on MPC's and are my go to.. I have tried maschine studio and had it for a few years I just couldn't get my mind around the flow.. to each as own let's just love making music!