Pioneer DDJ-400 mapping problems

Jupiter4
Jupiter4 Member Posts: 10 Member

I’m trying to map this controller to Traktor 3 and having trouble. I’ve downloaded a few user made templates which all have at least a few issues. Does anyone have a perfect mapping template for this they'd be willing to share?

I have one that I've got to work fairly well but my main problem right now is that the headphone cue buttons are also mapped to the filter on off button (the ones on each channel). I can’t find any “filter on off” in the list so not sure how to unmap.

If I sort the Assignment Table by the "Mapped To" column, I should be able to see any other controls mapped to that same midi note which in this case is "CH01.Note.C6". There isn't anything else in the list mapped to that note, just "Monitor Cue On". So I can't figure out why the filter on off button is being triggered as well?

Any ideas?

Answers

• Sûlherokhh
    Sûlherokhh Member, Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 2,539 mod

Filter On/Off is automatically triggered by a few of the native device mappings. I know for sure that it happens with the S4MK2 and with the subchannels of remix/stem decks via the default F1 mapping. Do you see any device panels (extra tabs) in the preferences window?

• Jupiter4

Hey thanks for your reply!

Are you referring to the "Controller Manager" section in Traktor preferences?

Heres an image of what i'm seeing in preferences.

• Sûlherokhh

Yes.

I can see already that there are no extra panels for NI devices, so, one potential source of your troubles is already eliminated.

Can you upload the tsi files that you are using? I can make a quick check what they do. If you have a list of the midi notes/CC's of the controls (and the channels used) it will be helpful to upload them as well.

• Sûlherokhh

I just checked DJ TechTools and looked up the top mapping.

DDJ-400 TRAKTOR 3 MAPPINGS 2022 V1

If this is the mapping you are using, i know what the problem is. I have reproducing the instructions (without picture) and focussed on the important sentence.

Description and Instructions

For the "RELOOP" function to work properly, you need to set the "CUP" function to "instant".
    For this you got to go to preferences >>> transport >>> cue play (cup) mode - set to instant
    As shown in the picture - everything that is written works!The main FX section... it is what it is ! Since controllers for traktor have 4 knobs for fx, I can't find another better way to map this section. BEAT function buttons controls the 3rd knob on the fx which is usually the interval, but is not an accurate one. I can't do more since there is no other available knob!
    Sampler section of the pads and shift functions are not mapped, at least not now ! So there are 5 pad modes still free if you wanna experiment. I'll let you descover what is in FX PAD mode 1 and 2... :) I hope you'll like it !!! FX PAD 2 are more agressive, but depending of your style, you may like it. Also I like to be able to desactivate the mixer fx so I have the fx tail. So CUE buttons are activated with shift, while normal operation is filter/fx - on/off. Play button with shift have flux reverse/censor function.
    Enjoy and have fun !Cheers !
    Iceman the Dj

The important part:

… Also I like to be able to desactivate the mixer fx so I have the fx tail. So CUE buttons are activated with SHIFT, while NORMAL operation is FILTER/FX - ON/OFF. …

• Jupiter4

Yep, here it is:

• Sûlherokhh
    edited August 15

In the mapping file 'DDJ400-MIXER' i found this:

CUE Monitor [Toggle] is Ch1(2).G#7, while MixerFX On [Toggle] (the new name for Filter On), is Ch1(2).C6.

Is any one of those on the SHIFT layer?

In the mapping file 'DDJ400-DECKS&BROWSER' i found this at the bottom:

Did you add those? If not, you should remove them. The last ones are duplicates and the first one has only been added for a single deck like an afterthought or test. Also the first two don't use channel 1 and 2 like many of the other assignments but channel 16, which may reference a totally different device originally.

Whoever put this together (no disrespect) has probably left those in by accident.

Edit: Does any of this help you?

• Jupiter4

No offences taken at all! I downloaded this from somewhere and then experimented a bit to try and fix the issues so it may have been me that accidentally added them.

Sorry not sure about the SHIFT layer… Do you mean do they have SHIFT as a modifier?

And do you mean delete all four that are visible in your screenshot?

• Sûlherokhh

And do you mean delete all four that are visible in your screenshot?

Yes.

Sorry not sure about the SHIFT layer… Do you mean do they have SHIFT as a modifier?

The only modifiers in use in this mapping are two counters so you can cycle through the MixerFX, so no, modifiers are not used to enable SHIFT. Which means that when you hold SHIFT, all control elements that are affected will have a different Note/CC as long as you hold it down. This is called the SHIFT layer.

Which buttons are used for CUE monitor? What are their MIDI notes? What are their MIDI notes when you hold SHIFT down?

• Stevan
    Stevan Traktor Mapping Mod Posts: 1,954 mod

I can guarantee this mappings are working and made those nly because all other mapings are incomplete.

https://traktormaps.com/mappings/pioneer-ddj-400-remix
    https://traktormaps.com/mappings/pioneer-ddj-400-jog-fx

You definitely don't need a modifier for the monitor cue buttons, those are built nto hardware.

1. Enable midi learn.

2. Hold Shift and press the cue button to map it.

3. Disable Learn button and test.

• Sûlherokhh

Ah i see. Then G#7 and C6 notes are just two different buttons per channel.

• Jupiter4

Sorry for the delayed reply!

Without Shift "Monitor Cue On" is Ch01.note.C6

With Shift it's Ch01.note.G#7

However when I release Shift it changes to Ch01.note.D#4

(This is in DDJ400-MIXER)

• Sûlherokhh

All right, now you know that with SHIFT you toggle CUE Monitor, without shift you toggle MixerFX. If you want to have it the other way around, you have to exchange the notes of the two pairs of assignments.

However when I release Shift it changes to Ch01.note.D#4

The moment you release the SHIFT button? Or is this the note of the CUE button pressed right after you have released the SHIFT button?

• Jupiter4

That is when I release the SHIFT button.

Ok I think I've got this sorted out now! I reset both Mixer FX On so that they are mapped to N/A.

Now my headphone cue buttons don't trigger the filter.

Now my problem is that lights on the monitor cue buttons on the DDJ-400 aren't changing when I press them even though they are having the desired effect in Traktor… Any ideas on that issue?

• Jupiter4

The monitor cue buttons lights on the decks are still correlated to the Mixer FX On.

So when I turn Mixer FX on or off with the mouse, that changes the light on the Monitor Cue button on the DDJ400. But other than that they're not connected.

• Sûlherokhh

Well, there is another pair of assignments, they are MIDI Out commands. These have to have the right notes to make the LEDs go on and off. Usually the LED's have the same notes as the buttons they are on or next to, but for some controllers they are different, especially if there are several differntly coloured LEDs used. I don't know your controller but i would first try are identical notes.

If that doesn't work, check out a manual for the controller with the correct information.

This discussion has been closed.