R E T I N A. Still waiting in 2024. Surreal.

Comments

• leesinthemix
    leesinthemix Member Posts: 319 Guru

Ableton has been able to warp flexible grids since 11.3.2.

There are many people who want the features I've requested, if you don't then that's a you problem.

• lord-carlos
    lord-carlos Member Posts: 3,210 Expert

Ableton and Djay can do autogrids :)

A general UI overhaul would be great.

• funkyant_Tf
    funkyant_Tf Member Posts: 4 Member

You're playing a gig, your 13" laptop is a couple meters away, I don't get what the big deal is?

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,530 Expert
    edited July 19

@dannys1 Please bear in mind that Native Instruments don't make Traktor just for you and your needs.

Just because you don't use Tidal, or have no interest in stems, or think the FX are junk, or aren't bothered about new controllers, doesn't mean those things are less important.

Equally, not everyone uses a Mac, and not every Mac has a high pixel density screen, so to all those other users Retina doesn't matter.

You mention Djay Pro in your post, but seem unaware of Algoriddim's Fluid Beatgrid system. You don't have to beat grid manually in Djay Pro or for that matter in Ableton Live as you claim.

The Traktor 4 GUI on my screen (32" 1920x1080) looks no worse than any other DJ software. The worst in my opinion is Djay Pro as it looks OK on a smartphone but not on larger screens.

The problem in Traktor 4 seems to be confined to the tooltips (they're terrible on this screen too), which you shouldn't need unless you're new to Traktor.

• dannys1
    dannys1 Member Posts: 18 Member

I mean you can make that arguement for anyone requesting anything. Obviously they don't make it for anyone in particulars needs. You don't have a high res screen so thats fine - all text is hard to read on a retina screen on a Mac - also there is no Mac that doesn't come with a retina screen and hasn't for years - only if you're going to pair up a low resolution 1080p monitor is that likely and honestly I don't know how you can use anything less than 4k at a minimum for productivity, it's horrific.

A retina GUI is just low hanging fruit, it'd take a few hours, it's 12 years late. Adding more music platforms would be great, where is Apple Music for instance too? But that requires negotiations and agreements, the GUI department could have done this in a weekend like they have for every other NI product. You wouldn't accept an iPad or an iPhone app that looks this poor on a display.

• dannys1

When i'm playing a gig I barely look at it at all - it's for prepping and sorting the music library it's horrible.

• dannys1

Ableton has been able to warp flexible grids since it was created. I used to do it back in 2003 when I used it to DJ live music recorded music.

Ableton also has has a retina interface. I mean i'm still waiting for Maschine 2 to have one too as well so it's definitely an NI problem all over.

• PK The DJ
    edited July 20

Ableton has been able to warp flexible grids since it was created

….and yet yesterday you were claiming that Ableton couldn't do it.

Obviously they don't make it for anyone in particulars needs

Then why list all those things that you don't use, you don't care about? How is that relevant?

Ableton also has has a retina interface

There's no such thing. Retina is just Apple's cutesy name for a screen with a high pixel density. It's the screen that's "Retina" not the software.

• Isotoxin
    Isotoxin Member Posts: 198 Advisor
  • leesinthemix
    leesinthemix Member Posts: 319 Guru

Haha, good swerve mate.

You said it couldn't warp automatically, which I pointed out that it has been able to do for more than a year now.

• Isotoxin
    Isotoxin Member Posts: 198 Advisor

BTW, i'm repeating myself, but every MAC/Retina user should read this:

It is about TEXT on the "holy retina screens in MAC".

• dannys1

I've read it - not sure what your point is. It's not just text, EVERYTHING looks better at 2x resolution. It's like going from 480p to 4k.

Look quite clearly all of you vehemently opposed to it can't afford to use a Mac and that's fine.

• dannys1
    edited July 22

Ah I stand corrected, sorry - I wasn't aware Ableton had actually made it so it would totally automatically beat grid a tempo changing track. I've got Ableton 12 from them, but i've genuinely never tried or used it yet. This is quite good to know - i'll test it out. If it's automatic it's probably still quicker to do this and them import it into Traktor already fixed?

(a bit like it's still better to create STEMS outside of the auto stem option)

• dannys1

I didn't make a list of things I don't care about - I replied to the guy who made a list of things he preferred over retina implementation.

I mean it's just now a pointless argument over who wants want first.

I think the sad thing is we're squabbling amoungst ourselves about lots of features that Traktor is missing because in all honesty, it's in a bit of a mess - but i'm fully bought into the eco system with lots of their hardware - and predominately the S8 and D2. Maybe with version 4 they've now got a proper team working on it that'll actually update and add features as it appears "3" was an experiment with all the possible buy out rumours slowing it all down. I'd like to see all of the features mentioned added and more. There doesn't appear to be much that Traktor has the other software doesn't apart form the hardware support.

I'd also like to see 6 deck support - or at least the ability to have 4 standard desks and then two assigned remix decks for instance, instead of having to use Maschine.

• PK The DJ
    edited July 22

It would indeed be amazing if Traktor had a "mini me" Maschine built in - like Serato and Ableton did with The Bridge.

https://www.ableton.com/en/products/bridge/

Ability to load and play Maschine files within Traktor as easily as using remix decks or stems. Yes please!

In fact some of the Traktor 4 screen shots did IMO make it look as if it was possible.