R E T I N A. Still waiting in 2024. Surreal.

ianstudio
ianstudio Member Posts: 2 Member

It's 2024 and Retina is still sorely lacking in may areas of the NI experience. Just updated to Traktor 4 for instance. What a letdown. Insulting to the Mac community at this point.

Comments

• Felwinter
    Felwinter Member Posts: 3 Member

Wait, for real? I was JUST ABOUT to upgrade to Traktor 4 and had the thought of checking the forums. At this point I think that the NI team is just obsessed with pixel-art and wants to build Traktor as an homage to 1998 software.

No money from me until I get my retina resolution.

• maniacintosh81
    maniacintosh81 Member Posts: 518 Guru

Maybe my eyes are too bad, but I don't get why everyone is so keen on Retina/HiDPI with Traktor. Yes I see the difference even in working distance while DJing. But to be honest it is no big difference for me, as long as I won't get really close to my display. Pixel-art is a great exaggeration. Usually I interact with my turntables, mixer and controllers while DJing. Using my MacBook just for crate digging and loading tracks usually.

• Felwinter
    Felwinter Member Posts: 3 Member

| I don't get why everyone is so keen on Retina/HiDPI with Traktor

Because, at this point, it's just laziness on the part of the devs. In 2024 it's almost more difficult to create low-res assets than hi-res.

My eyesight is great and I want to keep it that way. Squinting over my laptop in a dark club because I cannot read an aliased font cannot be good for my eyes, and makes for a terrible user experience on a product that it's NOT cheap.

• Isotoxin
    Isotoxin Member Posts: 198 Advisor
    edited July 18

Maybe You can show us how bad this aliased font looks like on Your laptop? I have a Lenovo with a 2560 x 1600 screen and there is no problem with aliasing fonts and no, experience is not terrible.

• Owner
    Owner Member Posts: 477 Guru

because your eyes are too bad 😎

joke aside: it was at least mentioned on their last roadmap. this should be a good reason to ask for it, not?

• Isotoxin
    edited July 18

Here's how TP4 looks on the aforementioned 2560 x 1600 screen. Is it possible to mark the pixel-art parts of the screenshot picture?

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/4jv8qp0hts3fitmgvb2x5/2024-07-18-215752.png?rlkey=b9kvpy9437gn3xpsl4bzpeunq&dl=0

I have a few pictures made with the phone camera in the dark. Please someone help me find the surreal parts of the not industry standard retina view in these pictures:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/svd12x99vcxdz6xgqs75j/PXL_20240718_191556579.jpg?rlkey=coh8q276cua3x6ouahhy00j9y&dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/v9sjtukam0t55y0lx3kqg/PXL_20240718_191617606.jpg?rlkey=8w365ugizfv4e5y0lp5b280p6&dl=0

The phone pictures are blurry on the sides, but the center part shows the "worst of the worst picture". Just like Windows 1998 logo!!!! 😭

• dannys1
    dannys1 Member Posts: 18 Member

Mate, you've got a Lenovo laptop, this conversation is irrelevant to you. Window still doesn't even deal with HDPI displays properly. The 16-inch MBP is 3456 x 2234 at 254ppi

It is a joke that they gave a new UI skin and didn't bother to do high resolution graphics for it. It's so easy to do, we've only had retina screens for 12 years now… TWELVE YEARS.

It's not so much in use that it's a pain - I mainly use the screens on my S8 and controllers, it's when you're beat gridding and setting up your library it's a drain to look at. It's literally the ONLY non-retina app on my entire system and has been for years.

• Isotoxin
    edited July 18

So we are still waiting for screenshots of Your mentioned "the drain"…

And please explain to me how this conversation is irrelevant for me? Just because my screen is 2,7 inches bigger than MacBook Air 13.3 with the same screen resolution, the conversation magically becomes irrelevant?

• dannys1

What PPI is it? that's all that matters. Here's a screenshot, looks like ******.

• leesinthemix
    leesinthemix Member Posts: 319 Guru
    edited July 18

I could honestly think of another 50 features and/or improvements to the UI and UX with Traktor that I'd like before I cared about retina display and high DPI.

Can you honestly say you like to see this before Tidal, batch stem separation, faster stem separation, live stem separation, automatic flexigrids, Phase HID, coloured hot cues, labelled hot cues, full sweep mixer FX, more than 4 FX units, more modifiers, smart(er) playlists, Soundswitch support, adjusting pitch manually when Ableton Link is enabled, more hardware support, NEW Traktor controllers, a Z2 MK2, a D2 MK2, an F1 MK2?

Please be serious.

• dannys1

The difference being, most of those things will take an entire re-write to add. Just making the graphics 2x should be a weekend job for someone. It's not hard. It's been TWELVE YEARS.

The software honestly is feeling very dated and hacked together now. It feels very legacy - and I think it's a bit daft they've released 3 versions which are nothing more than small increments on the previous legacy code. I imagine it's a mess in there.

• leesinthemix
    leesinthemix Member Posts: 319 Guru

You haven't been on the forum for very long. The codebase has been steadily rewritten for the past few years.

• dannys1

It definitely hasn't, there's loads of legacy stuff in there.

Regarding these.

1. Tidal I don't use, don't care about it, never will.
    2. I'm not interested in the Stem separate features anymore as it's just using Izotopes splitter from RX11 and I don't like the results it gives, so batch or speed won't change that. I'll continue to do what i've done for the last few years and create my own Stems with demucs, lossless ALAC and the STEMS SDK.
    3. You're not going to get real time stem separation from Izotope, they simply don't do it. They'd have to use a different implementation which they won't do now.
    4. It would be good for an automatic flexigrid but I can't see how it'd honestly work - even Ableton can't do that. If you load in a live track and need to beat grid it, you'd have to do it manually in Ableton just like you have to in Traktor now, so I can't see what happening unless there's some immense development in machine learning to achieve it down the line.
    5. Whilst the software looks this bad I don't care about colours or cues - i'm using the S8 and external controllers anyway - if they put them on those, then sure, but I can do coloured stuff on there.
    6. More and better effects would be useful, a lot of the effects are useless junk unfortunately. djay pro does have a much more usable selection.
    7. Better playlists maybe
    8. Soundswitch perhaps, it'd be nice.
    9. Is that a bug with Ableton Link? I've not noticed it when using with Maschine
    10. Not bothered about new controllers, i'm happy with the S8, D2, F1 and Maschine setup. I'd like to see them do an S8 Mk2 now that STEMS are getting a new life with this method.