Komplete control setup with Machine Mk3 How to play different instruments at the same time?

Paint_Stream
Paint_Stream Member Posts: 1 Member
edited October 22 in Komplete General

Hello....

I have a Komplete kontrol and a Machine Mk 3. I want to set them up, so I can play drums on Machine for better feel, and instruments that fits better on keybords on K Kontrol.

I can get to work separatly but can´t find out how to dedikate instruments to one of them.

I have tried with midi chanels. But I don´t feel that I can control and define whats happening in the DAW. I run them in Presonus Studio One 6 Artist.

Anyone, Please.....

Best Answer

• Jeremy_NI
    Jeremy_NI Customer Care Posts: 11,851 mod
    Answer ✓

@slinksta007 Oh boy! That's a lot of questions, and not all relevant to this topic. Maybe it would have made more sense to create dedicated posts, one per question, especially these are a bit tricky topics. Not blaming you of course, you already spent quite some time on it and we're here to help. Dediacted posts would also mean more people chiming in.

I might not answer all your questions here but will try to help.

Your situation is complicated because of the following:

• You own a MK1 keyboard (that has been discontinued)
    • You have a Silicon Mac that doesn't support VST2 anymore.
    • You also want to use a M32 and a Maschine Plus.
    • You want to have host integration with Cubase for both keyboards

I don't think you can have this working 100%. These articles on how to keep vst2 & vst3 was more to secure transition for projects with the Komplete Kontrol plug-in tracks. It's not meant to use a mk1 keyboard with the VST2 and other devices. You can't really have one version of the 2.9.6 plug-in or app taking care of the MK1 and the 3.x.x version taking care of the rest. Even less if you want to use both in the same DAW.

You should consider sticking with either 2.9.6 or 3.x.x.

If you choose 2.9.6, everything should work for now. The MK1 and the M32, as well as the M+ as controller will all work, not at the same time but you should be able to switch the focus by putting one of the keyboards to MIDI mode. Then you don't get the new browser in Komplete Kontrol version 3 and above.

If you choose Komplete Kontrol version 3.x.x you loose the integration with the MK1 keyboard but it can still be used as a standard MIDI controller.

I hope that helps and avoids future headaches.

Answers

• Jeremy_NI

Unfortunately it is not possible to control two different instruments from the keyboard and the Maschine controller, they will always play the track in focus. A workaround can be to put the keyboard in MIDI mode but it can easily revert to control the Maschine software. Maybe some users have found workarounds, I've edited the title, so hopefully they'll chime in.

• slinksta007
    slinksta007 Member Posts: 24 Helper

Hey Jeremy, my question9s) is/are partially connected and partially not.
    I'm on a mac running sonoma and cubase 12. I have a Machine+, a KK S49 Mk1 & a KKM32.
    i've seen the advice on how to run 2 x standalone komplete kontrols of V2.9 & 3.0 at the link at the bottom of this message.
    Question 1: is can i have the S49Mk1 controlling one synth and the M32 controlling another one by choosing the relevant one from the dropdown menu (see screenshot). And my machine controlling say a drum synth or its own drum preset?
    Even forgetting about the machine + for now, if before updating the komplete kontrol standalone app (and keeping the 2.9 standalone in another folder in the inside of the komplete kontrol folder so i can have V2.9 & V3 running simultaneously or alternatively)
    If i duplicated some komplete Kontrol vst2 plugs and renamed them komplete kontrol 2.9, and did the same with the VST 3 plugs and leave them as komplete kontrol (or could potentially rename them komplete kontrol 3 if it would still work), could i open one instance of komplete kontrol 2.9 vst2l and kontrol that instance with the S49MK1 and one instance of Komplete kontrol vst3 and control that instance with the komplete kontrol M32? Could that in theory work?

Question 2 in the midi input and output of cubase 12, the midi "driver" DAW-1 is avail and selected as input and output for the S49Mk1 to control the (auto)focus.
    (BTW the DAW -1 went missing (was deleted by kk V3 install?) last time i updated komplete kontrol 2.9 to 3.0 making autofocus not work.
    Is that normal?

After upto 6 hours of reading threads and forums and youtube and the like, i got the DAW-1 back by
    A) On mac / Komplete kontrol - reinstalling KK 2.9,
    B) in AVG anti virus - By whitelisting certain native instruments files from my AVG antivirus software. such as NTK daemon, NIhardware agent, NIhostintergration agent ect…
    C) In Cubase - By unchecking the komplete kontrol virtual input from cubase midi ins and outs.
    D) in Cubase: - by by selecting the remote kontrol editor and then get default factory layout, then apply

Question 3:
    If i update komplete kontrol v2.9 to V3.0 now, (keeping 2.9 in a subfolder as advised by NI, will the autofocus DAW-1 go missing again?

Question 4:

Now that i have the M32 it seems to have a different midi input/output "driver" in cubase midi in/out right?
    eg Studio M DAW?

Will Machine + also have a different midi input/output "driver"
    Eg. Maschine+ DAW?

Hoping you can help and clear up a few things,
    Cheers Joey :)

• Jeremy_NI
    Answer ✓

@slinksta007 Oh boy! That's a lot of questions, and not all relevant to this topic. Maybe it would have made more sense to create dedicated posts, one per question, especially these are a bit tricky topics. Not blaming you of course, you already spent quite some time on it and we're here to help. Dediacted posts would also mean more people chiming in.

I might not answer all your questions here but will try to help.

Your situation is complicated because of the following:

• You own a MK1 keyboard (that has been discontinued)
    • You have a Silicon Mac that doesn't support VST2 anymore.
    • You also want to use a M32 and a Maschine Plus.
    • You want to have host integration with Cubase for both keyboards

I don't think you can have this working 100%. These articles on how to keep vst2 & vst3 was more to secure transition for projects with the Komplete Kontrol plug-in tracks. It's not meant to use a mk1 keyboard with the VST2 and other devices. You can't really have one version of the 2.9.6 plug-in or app taking care of the MK1 and the 3.x.x version taking care of the rest. Even less if you want to use both in the same DAW.

You should consider sticking with either 2.9.6 or 3.x.x.

If you choose 2.9.6, everything should work for now. The MK1 and the M32, as well as the M+ as controller will all work, not at the same time but you should be able to switch the focus by putting one of the keyboards to MIDI mode. Then you don't get the new browser in Komplete Kontrol version 3 and above.

If you choose Komplete Kontrol version 3.x.x you loose the integration with the MK1 keyboard but it can still be used as a standard MIDI controller.

I hope that helps and avoids future headaches.

• slinksta007

thank you Jeremy :)

• slinksta007

Hey Jeremy,

just wondering if i was to sell my KKS49MK1 and got a KKS49MK3 so all my KKS49MK3, KKM32 & M+ were all on native access 2, could i then use different devices to control different synths and drum machines? or is it still the same problem? (also when i did get the M32 and the S49 MK1 working at the same time, and clicked the little keyboard focus to the s49, as soon as i clicked autofocus to another track, it would auto flip to the M32 (it was being priority) and which was working buggy also. so gonna disconnect the machine and the m32 until i finish this project, as i'm super paranoid if i update the komplete control again i'll lose my DAW-1 midi input and output option avail again (even if i have the updated KK in its normal folder and the old 2.9 KK in a sub folder to be able to use it)….

I can use VST2 on apple silicon if i open cubase in rosetta mode.

Lastly when i bought Maschine+ i thought i would be able to control all the drum synths like machine kits, and battery kits, and any other drums found in KK with the machine+ pads but was i wrong? Can i only control machine kits?

Thaks again for all your help and advice. I need to stick with my S49MK1 at least for now to finish a remix i'm working on for a label. When that's finished i'll buy the MK3 and sell the MK1.

• Jeremy_NI

Well, for now there is no Maschine integration at all for the MK3 keyboards. There are talkings about implementing some kind of basic integration. For now using the MK3 keyboard with the Maschine software is not ideal. even when the integration comes in, I don't think you'll be able to control one device with one keyboard, another with another keyboard and another one with the M+. The auto focus function will take over.

The behaviour of the MK3 will also be the same when used in conjunction with another Komplete Kontrol keyboard. The Komplete Kontrol plug-in can only handle one device at a time.

This discussion has been closed.