High quality, small 4-out interface for TP3/Mac use?

2»

Answers

• muthafunka
    muthafunka Member Posts: 39 Helper

Thanks but sound quality is important plus I think I maybe tried one of those when they came out and the build was junk…ho hum

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,564 Expert

Looks like a re/side-branded Maya though

As I posted before, it's another product from the same company. It just has 8 outs rather than 4 outs + 4 ins.

Both this and the MAYA44 are listed as compatible with Ventura and Apple Silicon.

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 3,006 Expert

Thanks but sound quality is important

Than RME Babyface Pro FS. Good drivers, low latency, good DA, good phone out. And good build and good and loooong support.

Or a bit worse RME Babyface Pro.

• muthafunka

At risk of….ok I'm way too fussy but good as the BFP is…cables sticking out of 3 sides like a frkn octopus drives me nuts and isn't great in cramped booths etc. At this rate it'll be a Motu M4 I guess but still holding out hope….

• Kubrak
    edited June 12

Old Babyface then? ;-) It has connectors from two sides…. But one has to use that multi-cable…

Yes, spider like design of BF Pro has its downsides, but using "right angle" plugs for USB and phones is IMHO quite good solution/compromise.

https://cz.farnell.com/pro-signal/psg91621/lead-usb2-0-a-male-rt-angle-usb/dp/3403457?gross_price=true&CMP=KNC-GCZ-GEN-SHOPPING-PMax-Catch-All-8th-May&mckv=_dc%7Cpcrid%7C%7Cplid%7C%7Ckword%7C%7Cmatch%7C%7Cslid%7C%7Cproduct%7C3403457%7Cpgrid%7C%7Cptaid%7C%7C&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwjqWzBhAqEiwAQmtgT5JYVfaok_VhEoLcRr7wVkf68P493DF816DlTau1Gjz_8krMsZVQFBoCwwgQAvD_BwE

• muthafunka

Zoom ams-24 looking interesting size/feature-wise but sound? Hmmmm…

• Kubrak
    edited July 8

@muthafunka

Babyface has arrived. It does not look that bad. At the end…. No spider or octopus.

RME provides Babyface Pro with 90 deg. plug USB cable. And if one has also 90 deg. phones's plug…

Low latency, excellent sound, excellent drivers, ……

For sure, there is handfull of less expensive options….

• muthafunka

Hey Kubrak, looking good and thanks for sharing, I'll keep that in mind. Will that double as a main interface for anything you do at home?

• Kubrak
    edited July 9

@muthafunka

It could be used at home, but I have other RME interfaces for that purpose….

I have bought BF mainly for using with Traktor. I will use it also for microphone in Traktor setup. It is sort of handy. You see, what happens, one may easily controll microphone volume, if needed. And so on.

And yes. I "needed" a new "toy".

Concerning home use. Yes it has high quality AD/DA, high quality phone output, no problem to connect active loudspeakers/monitors. You could even connect TV/CD player using toslink.

It has two ins for microphones and two ins for insruments/lines. Or feed signal from BF to other device using toslink.

It is usable even without computer in standalone mode. Which may be handy. Just one cannot set pan for input signals…. But routing of signals, volume, mix, phantom, … one may set even in standalone use.

Yes, it costs. But build quality is excellent and one may expect driver support for 15-20 years.

• muthafunka

I see, that's a serious purchase for mainly Traktor use. Between the S4 mk3 and Metric Halo I use in the studio I only do 4 or 5 pack-and-go gigs/year now so the BF is a bit much…even I couldn't justify that to myself. Looks like I'll end up with a Motu M4. Thanks for the back-and-forth though all, much appreciated.

• Kubrak

For playing few times a year and nothing more, it would be overkill…. I play twice a month, but still I could live without it. Just, it is handy, easier to carry, controll and so.