how to download on external hard drive

aj8
aj8 Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
edited 10:53AM in Native Access

so i have been having a lot of trouble figuring this out suppose to be simple but has takes 6 hours of my weekend for this, here the issue have had it downloaded on my pc and is taking up too much space so i uninstalled everything went into my preferences chose the recommended routing options but then its continues to download onto my pc taking up heaps of space i have tried everything and now it says i have to repair all the plugins but when i try to relocate them or reinstall them and select the folder its says that cant be located

also when i chose what folder for the install paths it also comes up with vst 32 and 64 bit file locations bt there both set on my pc and cant figure out how to put them on my external drive? do i have to create another 2 folders for my vsts inside the Ni library they tell you to make in your external hardive

pleae someone help i just want to make music

Best Answer

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,159 mod
    edited April 25 Answer ✓

do i have to create another 2 folders for my vsts inside the Ni library they tell you to make in your external hardive

Despite what some people might tell you then it is not advisable to move VST away from system drive , and most certainly not when it comes to VST3 (that's a big no!) !

You should only set Downloads folder, and Content location (marked with red on picture) , leave the rest as is per standard (marked with blue on picture) !

When you download then it will take space in the download folder as well as it will take temp space on system drive for installing. And of course all the libraries (Content) will take space permanently when installed !

Answers

• PoorFellow
    edited April 25 Answer ✓

do i have to create another 2 folders for my vsts inside the Ni library they tell you to make in your external hardive

Despite what some people might tell you then it is not advisable to move VST away from system drive , and most certainly not when it comes to VST3 (that's a big no!) !

You should only set Downloads folder, and Content location (marked with red on picture) , leave the rest as is per standard (marked with blue on picture) !

When you download then it will take space in the download folder as well as it will take temp space on system drive for installing. And of course all the libraries (Content) will take space permanently when installed !

• aj8

so thats how i originally had it set up but for some reason its keeps installing everything on my pc is it meant to store the download on your pc or on your hardrive? because for example i download guitar rig pro and is creating a desktop shortcut and is in my installed application folder on my pc bt nothing is saving to the NI library folder i created in my external drive, isnt that where all the data should be held then?

• PoorFellow
    edited April 25

Quote : Guitar Rig 7 Pro is the ultimate multi-effects rack and amp simulator

Guitar Rig comes as both a stand-alone application and as a plug-in , and both of which as you can see at the screenshot posted earlier is put on system drive. So Guitar Rig is not an 'expansion' and it does not count as 'Content' , Content would be 'expansion' and content libraries/Kontakt libraries such as e.g. the free 'Jacob Collier Audience Choir' .

Once your apps and plugins are installed and you start to install the expansions and libraries then it will start to put it on the Content drive destination !

• aj8

right, i think i understand a bit more now so also things like the ozone 10, kontakt, would have to be installed normally on your pc, and then all the expansions would be like, Mysteria and thrill? is that correct?

thanks very much for your help on this really appreciate

• PoorFellow
    edited April 25

Yes , that is correct ! More music software makes allows that one install e.g. content, sounds and expansions to other drive, but the programs themselves usually goes to system drive as do the plugins !

This discussion has been closed.