Can I transfer komplete select after upgrading?

Mark Oxley
Mark Oxley Member Posts: 268 Advisor
edited October 22 in Komplete General

I'm selling my kk s61 mk2 keyboard. It came with komplete select 12 but I've since updated it firstly to Komplete 12 standard and then most recently to Komplete 14 standard. Can I transfer the komplete select licence and still keep Komplete 14 standard?

Best Answer

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,414 Expert
    edited April 25 Answer ✓

If the path for your upgrade was using your Komplete 12 Select as a the base product (therefore you had a discount because starting from there) it could cause problems. Before selling/transferring anything, I would ask support to confirm if your Komplete 14 standard will have problems.

On the paper…yes, it should have problems, since your K12 standard depends on the k12 select and the K14 standard depends on the k12 standard, but if they say otherwise… I suppose it’s a matter if they make an exception or not

Answers

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,414 Expert
    edited April 25 Answer ✓

If the path for your upgrade was using your Komplete 12 Select as a the base product (therefore you had a discount because starting from there) it could cause problems. Before selling/transferring anything, I would ask support to confirm if your Komplete 14 standard will have problems.

On the paper…yes, it should have problems, since your K12 standard depends on the k12 select and the K14 standard depends on the k12 standard, but if they say otherwise… I suppose it’s a matter if they make an exception or not

• PoorFellow
    PoorFellow Moderator Posts: 4,192 mod

Whole question builds on a misunderstanding. 

komplete Select that came with your keyboard is considered 'base software' and is non-transferable. But it does not have to be because if you sell the keyboard and then transfer hardware to another person then the other peson will automatically receive their own copy of the base software while you retain yours also That way all foundations for the bought upgrades are retained even if selling the hardware.

It's explained on the page : Buying or Selling a Native Instruments Product Second-Hand

Quote :

You only have to unregister the hardware in your user account and will receive a License Transfer ID that you can pass to the new buyer. After the buyer has imported the License Transfer ID to their own account, they will receive the same software bundle as you, the original owner.

In short, this means that the seller keeps the software that came with the hardware - and the new owner receives it as well. This way, all potential upgrade paths, that are based on that software, stay intact.

Please note that there are a few exceptions with older products. For these products, the software license shows a tag that the license has to be transferred to the new user by our Account Support team.

• Mark Oxley
    Mark Oxley Member Posts: 268 Advisor

Thanks. I guess that makes sense as the upgrades represent quite a big investment on what was free software initially.

This discussion has been closed.