How to set up Machine Mikro Mk3 with Abelton live 11?

ChrisH1785
ChrisH1785 Member Posts: 11 Member

Hi all,

I'm new here so forgive me if this has been asked before. I have had the Machine Mirko mk3 for a while and used to use it as a midi controller within logic. I am now on a Pc and am trying out Abelton live 11. However I can't get machine to work as a controller for the life of me. I want to use it to basic stuff touch strip for modulation, pads to trigger drums and sounds. Play, stop record zoom and scan through project ect ect.

I had all of this going in logic but, nothing is working in Abelton 11. I have downloaded the Machine mk3 script from the relevant page on this site.

Do I need to find a template for the controller editor? If so where can I find one?

Any and all help appreciated.

Many Thanks in advance! 😀

Best Answers

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

It's not some randy developer or "just a template"... It's a full blown Remote Script, it's pretty intricate as it adds a ton of functionality, modes, etc that NI simply isn't interested in working on for the foreseeable future... Way beyond mapping button X to do Y.

It's hard to advise since I don't know what you want to do.

If you just want simple mapping then you can do it yourself, that's easy... But note that on Ableton MIDI Mapping is per project, so regular MIDI mappings in one song can't be automatically loaded in another song, you have to do it every time or make a Template-Project and always start with that; also note that if you want more than a static mapping like different "modes" depending on what is selected or what you're doing a Remote Script is the only way to go as well as having a solution that always works across all projects... However, Remote Scripts require quite some Python coding skills and knowledge about the Ableton API, it's not something trivial to learn, the Mackie Script is simple and has thousands of lines of code.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited January 2022 Answer ✓

Oh sorry, I just noticed you did gave some examples

Play, stop record zoom and scan through project ect ect.

For this you can use the Mackie remote Script in AL then in Controller Editor under the Assign tab set MCU as the Type and scroll thru the ID numbers, Controller Editor will tell you what each one does, this works for simple things but you're limited to the functionality that the MCU/Mackie protocol offers.

Answers