Why does Maschine 2 app show fuzzy, low resolution graphics and fonts?

BJ_Dobbs
BJ_Dobbs Member Posts: 10 Newcomer
edited October 22 in Maschine

Why does Maschine 2 app show fuzzy, low resolution graphics and fonts on my 4k monitor? All my other software displays nice and sharp. M2 looks like a leftover from Windows XP.

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,262 mod
    Answer โœ“

โ˜๏ธ Indeed.

The bigger the monitor the more noticeable it will be due to pixel density, the only way for clear GUI is native resolution (100% - no scaling) which will make everything super tiny on a hi-res screen, which then makes you sit closer or squint which is not great for your eye health..

Pick whatever scaling is more practical for you, imo 100% makes Windows unusable, so 125% or 150%

Answers

• BJ_Dobbs

I've tried DPI settings changes. Nothing works. Is there an update for this problem? Tnx.

• reffahcs
    reffahcs Member Posts: 848 Guru

You need to change your scaling, not the DPI settings. Try something like 150% to start with, you may need more on a 4K monitor.

Right click on the desktop -> Show More Options -> Display Settings -> Scale

• BJ_Dobbs

Hey reffahcs,

thanks for the info. I'm using a 32" 4k. Windows suggests 150% scaling which I've been using for a long time. I just tried 100%. Indeed M2 resolution improved greatly but it became really tiny as did everything else on the desktop. I've never had an app that suffered res issues from 150% until M2.

Nonetheless, I have something new to explore. I'll test settings e.g folder sizes and fonts at 100% and see. Top image 150%, bottom 100%.

• reffahcs

That's quite a difference. I don't think there's much Windows can do to make programs sharper, seems like 125% might be the sweet spot between being large enough to see, but not too fuzzy.

• BJ_Dobbs

I could get used to 100%. I'd just need to sit a lot closer to the screen. ๐Ÿ˜‰

• reffahcs

That's the main reason I went for 32" 2K monitors. I'm too old for 4K ๐Ÿ˜…

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 666 Guru

Maschine is not HiDPI compatible. It doesnโ€™t look good at any resolution higher than 1440p, looks best at 1080p, unfortunately.

• D-One
    Answer โœ“

โ˜๏ธ Indeed.

The bigger the monitor the more noticeable it will be due to pixel density, the only way for clear GUI is native resolution (100% - no scaling) which will make everything super tiny on a hi-res screen, which then makes you sit closer or squint which is not great for your eye health..

Pick whatever scaling is more practical for you, imo 100% makes Windows unusable, so 125% or 150%

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,633 Expert
    edited March 3

I'm using 100% on Windows here, and it's perfectly usable (I'm no spring chicken either).

32" 1080p

With 4K on the same size screen though, things will be 4x smaller.

• D-One

Well of course it's usable, the lack of Hi DPI does not affect 1080p screens because wellโ€ฆ 1080 is the resolution Maschine was designed for, it's not a high-density pixel count so there's no need for any scaling.

The lack of High DPI that makes things fuzzy/blurry only affects 4k / Retina or similar/higher pixel densities.

• PK The DJ
    edited April 1

Well of course it's usable

I was responding to your comment of "100% makes Windows unusable".

A month later you've changed your mind? ๐Ÿ˜

• D-One
    edited April 1

No, I didn't.

"unusable" on hi-res screens like the one OP has (4k), you dont have a hi-res screen, thus no problem. Wellโ€ฆ. Maybe it was hi-res back in 2002 but certainly not in this era.

With 4K/Retina and 100% scaling (windows or mac) everything is tiny, the only way things that were designed to be 4x bigger can be "usable" when 4x smaller is if you have a gigantic screen really close to you or use a magnifying glass to make music. Not sure who would stand 3 feet away from a 70" screen thoโ€ฆ

Humโ€ฆ. Now that you mention the date I'm confused, your post is indeed old but I just got a notification, maybe a forum bug or some comments got deleted for some reason.

• PK The DJ

on hi-res screens

โ€ฆ.which was not written in the original post. The H in HD stands for High, so my screen is certainly not low resolution. Nor is it out of date. There are still plenty of HD screens being sold today. ๐Ÿ˜›

This discussion has been closed.