Maschine+ & MC-101 together

Rico010
Rico010 Member Posts: 120 Advisor
edited 11:58AM in Maschine

Hey folks,

Wanted to share an experience about using M+ and MC-101 together as a DAWless setup for composing.

I have M+ for almost 3 years now. I love it. But never could find a solution to the CPU limits when onboard synths are used and had to use it together with other PC/MAC solutions. Frankly speaking, I hate resampling, prefer to keep MIDI editable right away. I am a hobbyist musician, so I have no space and resources for lots of hardware synths.

Recently I discovered that MC-101 has a class-compliant audio device and midi over USB (both). I bought it and connected with M+ as an audio interface and external sound module together. Added another keyboard (Launchkey Mini Mk3) over the second USB port, and I have a full DAWless setup which eliminates the CPU limits at all.

I am still testing this setup. But I already connected all this stuff with just 2 USBs at the back of M+, all USB powered. Adding the M+ power cable and a line out cable to speakers, it is really so convenient.

If anyone is interested in details, I will be glad to share more info. Testing it further, so far so good, and stable. Seems to be a dream setup to me.

Tagged:

Comments

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,646 Expert

So you use the MC-101 basically as a multi-timbral synth with four parts?

(this could be achieved with any similarly featured hardware synthesizer, such as an Virus TI Snow or Waldorf Blofeld - but probably not as portable)

• Rico010

Yes. But I was looking for a budget solution. Virus TI is way too expensive for me as a hobby maschine (though I wish I had it). So I was looking for more affordable (up to 500 EUR) and more portable option.

Mc-101 runs on batteries if needed. With M+ I power it by USB. MIDI is routed to Mc101, Audio from it (by USB) goes back to M+. During travels I can take with me Mc101 with a JBL Charge or similar speaker and a cable. Once back at home, connect it to M+ for sequencing and arranging the full song.

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 462 Pro

What an interesting thought!! How does that work??? I have an mc707, but also my sons 101, you just connect the MC with usb on the back, and then what? How do you set it up? 101 as sound card?? How??

• djadidai

I also wanted to have an MC101 to go with the M+, but then the synth engine was locked on the 101, so I got a 707 second hand, but never tried to connect them with usb, just midi cable and sound cable to a pad on m+. After that they unlocked the engine on the 101, my son got interested in the 707 so I got him the 101, but I like the 101 for some reason more haha.

• Rico010

Yes. Update the MC firmware to the latest. Then on MC select audio driver Generic, it stands for class-compliant 2 in 2 out driver.

Connect MC by usb ti M+ as external audio card. At the same time, send Midi from M+ to MC (same cable does both for MC).

On M+ in Sampling select external input and turn on Monitoring. All sound will be heard from M+ out as stereo. And you extend the M+ with all sounds and power of MC

• Rico010

It is already unlocked. Update ti the latest firmware (1.82 as of now). Also, you may use desktop Zenology to create a custom bank for loading it to MC through its SD Card.

MC-101 has a bit of menu fiddling to edit sounds, but most controls are available unlocked. Though I prefer to do the sound design on laptop and load sounds to SD Card. But you can do adjustments on MC as well.

I also love the Randomizer for new sound ideas on the MC. Gabe Miller have a video on that on his youtube sound. Didn’t use it for now, but it looks as a great quick sketch tool.

• Phex
    Phex Member Posts: 2 Newcomer

Sounds fantastic!
    some questions,

Can you send Sounds over usb from the M+ to the MC101?

Where is your analog output than to the speaker? In the M+ or MC?
    i thought the M+ can just send sound either analog or usb but not both at same time.

• djadidai

yo! I connected usb cable from 707 to M+, the sync worked of course but when I tried to use 707 as a sound card everything got wack. Can you please if you have the time and energy do a “connect for dummies” detailed step by step guide to how you connect and set it up? What I’ve done is I just connect with midi cable between the units to have master clock from M+, and from the outputs I connect them to separate channels on my mixer.

• Andy Wt
    Andy Wt Member Posts: 103 Advisor

Thanks for sharing, but what about midi timing? Is it rock-solid when all 4 parts of MC-101 receive midi events? I'm asking because i observed bad M+ timing issues with external gear.

• Rico010

I had no problems so far. Let me stress test a few days more. I’ll get back to you

• Rico010

Which driver is selected on the MC707? I don’t have 707, mine is 101. It need to choose driver type back and force 1 time on the first trial. There should be two options, Generic vs Vendor. Generic is the roght one. But switch to Vendor and back once. It is a bug. And then it should work good forever (for 101).

• Rico010
    edited April 1

Apologize. I see that while being excited I lost this details. I use M+ as main sound i terface, getting sound from MC to M+ through M+ audio input.

Also, I believe you can send Audio from M+ to MC by usb, but I didn’t try it

• djadidai

I suspect it’s the same thing, where can I select that? Where do you find the option for the vendor/generic on the 101? It will be in the same place on the 707.

• Rico010
    edited April 1

on 101 I open system settings using Shift+Utility button. There is an Audio Driver section (maybe just Driver). It says Generic or Vendor. Just set it to Vendor and then back to Generic and restart.

• Andy Wt
    Andy Wt Member Posts: 103 Advisor
    edited April 2

Thanks! It would be especially interesting to know how it works when some automated CC data is transmitted too. For example filter cutoff sweep, which should generate plenty of MIDI data. I suppose it could be mapped to M+ macro as described here https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/4576586028433-Creating-Custom-MIDI-CC-Pages-for-MASCHINE and recorded into pattern as modulation.

This discussion has been closed.