Traktor 3.9 is -almost- "crashing" (no sound, blurry waveforms)

Comments

• OliverGross
    OliverGross Member Posts: 60 Helper

Yes, it‘s really bizarre, but it helps definitely, I had no crashes at all since months….

I have also put this in the bug section of the betas, hoping that one of the developer will recognize this „solution“ and can analyze it.

• DJDL
    DJDL Member Posts: 77 Helper

A little update for us affected users to beware. Last Saturday I got the freeze again, even with the "Load Only Unto Stopped Deck" disabled. This time it happened with just a track playing and doing nothing else, not even touching my equipment, as a band was coming on stage and I stepped away from my controller to speak with them. The music just stopped and we all looked at each other thinking the sound guys had done something with the PA in order to set up the band, but they assured me they hadn't. Upon getting back to my computer, there it was, an unresponsive Traktor Pro 3.10 and a blurry frozen waveform.

So disabling the STOPPED DECKS function has helped in terms of how frequently the hangs happen, but it is still not 100% safe for work.

By the way, I didn't upgrade to 3.11 because the issue is still there and I also have an S8 thats buggy on that latest version.

NI, please, PLEASE, do look into this dreadful issue affecting Apple Silicon users.

• OliverGross

Oh no….I‘m sorry to hear that!

This is really sad. I have seen you are on M1 Pro and Ventura? I have a M2 Pro, but I‘m not sure if this makes any difference.

Have you analyzed the track for which this Crash happened? I just ask because NI told there would be a fix in 3.11. because of corrupted files. Maybe this one got you. But it‘s strange that this happened as you hasn‘t done anything at all.

3.8 with Rosetta seems to be the last stable Version. So you can maybe use this with your S8. Just so annoying this bug :-/

• DJDL
    DJDL Member Posts: 77 Helper

You might be onto something there, and perhaps there are multiple triggering points for the crash. Disabling the STOPPED DECK thing might fix some of them, but the corrupted tracks fail might still be a vulnerability. In that case, 3.11 would allegedly cover that. I will at least play this same track a few times and see if I can consistently replicate the crash. If i can, and should 3.11 fix this, I'll have to upgrade and deal with its own shortcomings.

No way I'm going back to Rosetta, as I have done massive library organization since then and I dunno if an older Traktor install is going to pick up after a newer collection. Besides, the setup I'm now using the most includes the X1M3, which is not compatible with 3.8.

Thanks for your suggestions, tho.

• OliverGross

Hey @DJDL

the same with me, I have also the X1 mk3 and have to stay on 3.11.

But one question, I saw that you took some screenshots of the last crash.

Do you also have a crashlog of it?

Unfortunately, I hadn‘t any because I had to force my Mac to reboot. If you have the logfile, it could maybe help the developers.

• 1kalcapone
    1kalcapone Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

Same mystery happening on my end. Running Traktor 3.7 with S4mk3 on a 2015 MBP i7 Quadcore, 16GB RAM. I thought a quick update to 3.8 or higher would fix it but apparently not from what I’ve been reading across multiple threads on the internet.

This is such a crazy unexplainable bug. I have been using Traktor for 10 years now and have never seen anything like this.

I’ve been meaning to make the switch to Serato and this is looking like the final push. I can’t use a software that crashes and the company continues to not address it.

Traveling abroad next week for about 3 months and I’m considering not even bringing my controller with me. Pretty much dead weight at this point.

NI PLEASE FIX THIS

• Nev Cope
    Nev Cope Member Posts: 4 Member

I've been having this exact issue (followed by the "flushing background tasks" you exit) for years. Tried a reinstall 3 or 4 times, "cleaned" my MP3 collection as per NIs instructions, etc. and the problem persists.

I found it never happened at a gig, only at home and when connected to a monitor. Make me think that in my case it's a display driver issue

• Icekenga
    Icekenga Member Posts: 3 Newcomer

I have this problem very often. The music just stops and the waveform becomes blurred! Only the traktor reboot helps! This problem occurs on version 3.11.1. And even on the old version 3.7

NI PLEASE FIX THIS

• gmcro
    gmcro Member Posts: 4 Newcomer

Anyone who tried an older version - like 3.5.2 had the same problem ?

• SpirosG
    SpirosG Member Posts: 18 Member
    edited March 16

An update from my side, Load Only Into Stopped Deck seemed to work for a while, but I've had this happening again a few times, so i couldn't stand to be embarrassed anymore everytime the music was stopping out of nowhere, i had to live with the anxiety of having another source ready on an empty channel and make sure that the track on the other source would sound compatible to the one i am playing at the time during the set and then to restart Traktor fast (😆 big library doesn't help) and mix the music again from the other source. I got a bit sick of this anxiety, I wasn't able to concentrate or enjoy it.

During important gigs, i avoid to use Traktor nowadays.

It's been almost a year and there is no response on this from anyone within NI @Friedemann_NI

• DjKrankyFranky
    DjKrankyFranky Member Posts: 5 Member

Quick comment on this issue here,

I had the exact same problem on 3.11.1 on Windows 11, Kontrol S2 MK1. So this is not exclusive to Mac. Lucky for me it happened during preparation. It started with some sound issues, then I noticed waveform was blurred. The song I was working on had a loop in it. That's the only noticeable thing I can think of.

I haven't played live since february last year, so my last use of Traktor was on 3.7.0 (prep and live) and I had zero issues like this.

I have the Load Only Into Stopped Deck activated.

I'm quite worried with this instability because I have a gig coming in 2 weeks. I will probably rollback to 3.7 just to put the chance on my side. What can be worse than a reboot during a live session?

How can we get more attention from NI on this?

• tunabreath
    tunabreath Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

I use stem files and since this week the bottom 3 stem waveforms get blurry. This happens when I start the next track with a 'fade in/out' marker. Or when I jump in the track. Once its blurry the only way to fix it is to reload the track. I'm on traktor version 3.8.x and have 'load in stopped deck' turned of. My mac is dedicated for traktor use only.

Traktor became completely useless because of this. Live this would be unworkable at best. I will try to update my traktor, however I see post from other people on later versions also. What worries me is that I do not see any responses from NI on this topic.

I'm a software developer myself and I think it is ok if you say: we do not know why this happens, we need more data/help. Then people with this problem can provide more data. Any honest response would do.

• Gully B
    Gully B Member Posts: 13 Member

after having this happen almost every gig on TP4 on a MacBook Pro M3, I’ve come up with a plan B emergency plan to help.
    it is in NO WAY a solution to the problem though!

I save an offline playlist that’s relevant to the gig ahead of time on Spotify, then route my MacBook audio to the S4MK3 - when I see the initial signs before the crash where the tracks won’t load into the deck or the waveform goes blurry etc, then I know I have <10 seconds before the music will cut out.

In that 10 seconds I fade out the song playing and start a song on Spotify. Then you have to Force quit Traktor because if you quit normally it gets stuck at flushing background tasks.
    reboot Traktor and usually I don’t run into any other problems for the rest of the gig.

Weirdly enough, the crash usually happens in the first 30 mins of a set (I usually play 6 hours). Once rebooting after a crash, I haven’t had any issues for the further 5 and a half hours.

• Hirschie
    Hirschie Member Posts: 19 Helper
    edited August 2

I have this problem now too with 4.01 (at a small 1 hour test set) ! This never happens before with 3.11. The waveform got blurry and the sound stops and you are not be able to load a new track on any of the decks. only restarting traktor helps. this is weird. i go back to 3.11.

(Windows 10 22H2 latest cumulative patches)

• HAYDNversusALIEN
    HAYDNversusALIEN Member Posts: 2 Member

This has been happening to me as well since 3.7. I'm still having to use 3.5. And now I have the same issue with TP4. Using a PC laptop\Windows 11\i5. This was happening on my last PC too (win10). Sucks that I paid 75 for the upgrade and can't really use it out on gigs. If I have to walk on eggshells every time I use TP4, I might as well stay with the version that just works. And NI isn't helping to solve this issue.