maschine stops emitting midi when used as vst

bnckd
bnckd Member Posts: 5 Newcomer
edited October 22 in Maschine

hey there. stuck here with midi curiosities by maschine.

1) let's say i do some drumwork on tracks 1 to 4, then use 5 to 8 as midi sequencer to control a few modular synths. load drums, etc...set channels correctly and off you go.

2) I wanna record the synths and the master out of maschine..so I open Live, set everything up (loading maschine as vst) and press play. Everything plays, also the midi tracks, but there's no midi coming out of maschine anymore. Also the midi settings in settings are gone.

what am I doing wrong here?

Oh and does anybody know why maschine is not saving it's settings with a template?

I did this autosampling template and everytime I have to setup everything from scratch.

Unbelievably annoying imo.

'thanks in advance for your help.

Best Answer

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,262 mod
    edited February 26 Answer ✓

Well... Plugins (MAS-Plug in this case) do not have access to whatever MIDI Port you're using to control your External Synths when using Maschine standalone app; MAS-Plug can only send MIDI to the Host DAW.

You will notice that while hosted Maschine's PAD's only MIDI Out option is "Host", so set it as such and crate some Ableton Tracks and configure them to receive MIDI from Mas-Plug, then you can send that MIDI Thru whatever MIDI Port you want to control your synths.

Red is Maschine sending MIDI to MIDI Track, blue is where you have to send it to whatever MIDI Port you use for your Synths - You would also need an Audio Track to record Audio.

A simpler way to "record the Master out of Maschine" would be to just export it.

Answers

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 387 Guru

You'll need to route through your DAW when you open it as a VST.

• D-One
    edited February 26 Answer ✓

Well... Plugins (MAS-Plug in this case) do not have access to whatever MIDI Port you're using to control your External Synths when using Maschine standalone app; MAS-Plug can only send MIDI to the Host DAW.

You will notice that while hosted Maschine's PAD's only MIDI Out option is "Host", so set it as such and crate some Ableton Tracks and configure them to receive MIDI from Mas-Plug, then you can send that MIDI Thru whatever MIDI Port you want to control your synths.

Red is Maschine sending MIDI to MIDI Track, blue is where you have to send it to whatever MIDI Port you use for your Synths - You would also need an Audio Track to record Audio.

A simpler way to "record the Master out of Maschine" would be to just export it.

• bnckd

Aaah. thx! ..well so I'd need to have everything handled by the daw eventually.

Any ideas for the settings not being saved issue as well?

And is it just me or are the settings in general quite "chaotic"? I mean every time I wanna multisample I'm stuck in settings for at least 15 minutes, it's definitely cumbersome...

• bnckd

master recording is just a placeholder...of course I export everything at some point, if there's anything at all. I really use it for midi most of the time. The real issue was midi not being sent so the moment I switch my daw on for recording the mídi was gone. But that's clear now. The way I want it seems to work though when I disable all usb audio and midi in my daw settings and use the din midi in to sync maschine with the app opened but not the vst.

• D-One

What settings? MIDI port cant be recalled because it doesn't exist while hosted.

As for multisample I am not sure what you're talking about, I reckon you mean Auto-Sampler, but what is not being recalled?

• bnckd

That, yes. Literally everything. Which notes, how many notes, midi port, etc. only the length of sampling is stored I think. It's that configuration I have to do from scratch every time I use it, and even after that I have go back and forth between main settings and sampler settings until I hear anything....at some point I made screenshots of every page because I thought I'd go crazy the next time and even then it would not work straight out of the box.

• D-One
    edited February 27

I'm confused, the whole point of the Auto-Sampler is to create Maschine "Sounds" instruments (multi-sample patches if you will) to be re-used later, you don't need to load a full project for that, and if you load those Sounds in MAS-plugin or the standalone app should not make any difference, it should load them as you saved them.

• bnckd

The default project in order to do the multisampling, that's what I'm talking about. Imagine a live or whatever other daw project with a specific recording template where you'd open that project and the correct order of tracks and their routing of course, along with the settings you want incl all tracks armed pops up and you're ready to go. It does load already sampled and saved sounds, yes but when I want to sample I have to everything from scratch, and imo it's tedious. But I guess it's just the way maschine is, file management and all that as well is quite a mission, we all know that so I guess it's intertwined;) Anyways thx for the heads up and the example with Ableton.

• D-One

Oohh, I see.

Well, you just have to have a template for the Maschine app and another for Maschine-Plug/Ableton, it's impossible to use the same due to what I explained above, not a Maschine issue, it's how Plugins/MIDI works.

This discussion has been closed.