The Maschine 4 (Speculative) Thread

Comments

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,406 Expert
    edited February 22

Pachyman is quite good…a sort of King Tubby disciple with rustic melodies ☺️

And when he infuse some Cumbia in his dub, he becomes even more interesting

• basehead617
    basehead617 Member Posts: 135 Advisor

I don't really get calling an expansion any particular genre - I use them for individual sounds.. are people just talking about loops and the demo songs?

• nightjar
    nightjar Member Posts: 1,322 Guru
    edited February 22

Sigh... so silly

As silly as the thousand flavors of metal...

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,255 mod
    edited February 22

Well, that's your personal use case, nothing wrong with that but most people want to know what the intended goal and style of their sample packs is because certain things in some genres or sub-genres are super duper specific.

I'm my genre context for example you can't make authentic 90's 'boom-bap' with a modern Trap expansion and vice versa, well... technically people can do whatever but it sure won't sound like that era if you use a 909 kick instead of one from an actual drum break from the 70's... because the sound texture is miles apart. I wouldn't expect screeching digital bass sounds on a Jazz kit for example.. that sort of thing.

Genres are used just to give an idea of the contents, but again... one can use it for whatever. I'd say the majority of folks into Kits are too lazy to learn the nuances that make certain things sound like certain genres to begin with, hence marketing directly to specific target audiences.

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 424 Pro

When do we get the Psychobilly Reggae cross-breed expansion????????

...and will anyone buy it?

• Schmapps1
    Schmapps1 Member Posts: 140 Pro

Well for me, I just think that Jamaican Dub Reggae from the 60s, and post-2000s Dubstep are two such wildly different genres that it’s kinda comical to me that anyone could confuse them whatsoever 🤷‍♂️

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,255 mod

Humm... Probably after the Metal-Jazz-Country-Trance Expansion coming next month.

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 462 Pro

once upon a time when I was young and wild living in Barcelona I went to a few huge dubstep parties (curiosity) and I must say there were loads of roots reggae influenced superdubby extremely bassy dubstep. Not just the typical skrillex sounding dubstep.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,406 Expert
    edited February 23

Btw…even Skrillex made reggae influenced things…and not even too bad (well…having JR Gong in it helped a lot…)

And it was even “mixed” up with a Native Americans inspired music video…yeah…mashing many different cultures is definitely cool ☺️

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 674 Guru
    edited February 23

Facts, Dr Dre actually used quite a bit of TR-909 on his boom bap beats.. He just used it with good taste and skill ;)

Here's a quote about the subject:

"The best way, to me and what i witnessed in an actual dr. dre session, dre layers a Roland TR-909 deep kick, tuned to about -70 on the mpc's pitch adjustment, with a acoustic drum sample from a vinyl break, using the start and sample adjustments on the mpc, he can tightly adjust and isolate the "kick" he then uses the trigger mode to stack the 909 kick with the acoustic kick, that way the low end is automatic but the high and mids come from the acoustic kick. try it, you will be amazed!! your kicks will be almost perfect, of course a little eq'ing will help, but half the work is already done. I hope dre doesn't read this, i just gave out his million dollar secret!! most of the game does that to their drums!! trust me i seen it!

Most of dr dre's drums, breaks where he samples off of comes from this record collection called "Dusty Fingers" check it out, it's got A LOT of the kicks and snares he uses and has used on the Chronic 2001 which was the first time people got to hear the "Best drums on the planet". also "Strictly Breaks" is a killer collection. Again the key to getting the low end is the TR-909 Kick/acoustic sample stacking method, that's all you need!!"

When I was talking about the Dub hats and snares, I was referring to the "underbiased"/off clibration tape sonics that you hear on some records.. almost sounds like vinyl tracking distortion.. That's the stuff I'm after.. It's hard to imitate ITB. As for the dub fx themselves, I got a real spring reverb, several flavours of delay pedals and all the UAD reverbs, so I am totally good on that dept thanks 😎

• tom80
    tom80 Member Posts: 29 Member

Well this thread has completely lost focus.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,627 Expert

Ah yes, sorry. We want MataDAW!

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 462 Pro

It hasn’t lost focus, we’re just continuing the discussion that started 24 pages ago:)

• Impermanence
    Impermanence Member Posts: 156 Pro

Please, Quit calling it a DAW.

NI listened the customers who think it is not a DAW.

To solve the problem once and for all:

They call it MataDAWG!

Digital Audio Workstation Gamechanger.

This discussion has been closed.