The Maschine 4 (Speculative) Thread

Comments

• BLOCK WAS HERE
    BLOCK WAS HERE Member Posts: 6 Member

I hope NI makes something happen.. I’m so invested in their products. I love my mk3 and I’ve been waiting to see what happens with the Maschine SW before I buy the KK keyboard.

I love maschine just ready for an Official update before I put anymore money into NI.

Fingers crossed tho!

• Warempel
    Warempel Member Posts: 21 Member

Yeah, have been looking into it, but it's relatively expensive. The MPE pads are probably the reason, but I am not really bothered about MPE. I prefer "normal" keys. Strangely, there is no option to connect an audio interface over usb, just ADAT and I do a lot of vocals and guitar. No arranger view access is also a pain so standalone will never really be possible.

The MPC One+ or even the Key 37 seem a good fit for what I do, but the MPC workflow is of course a bit archaic.

Don't know, I may change my mind about Push3...

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,627 Expert
    edited February 21

Push 3 is a gorgeous thing! My collection consists of a Maschine+ (bought first), an Akai MPC X SE (bought next) and a Push 3. They all have their good and bad points, and I don't regret buying any of them.

[later] I'm having to LOL at the YouTube "influencers" calling the new Echo Versions expansion dubstep.

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 462 Pro

So during the years I’ve accumulated a few bits, but the M+ is so extremely superior so it’s more or less hard to describe how much better it is. M+, Mc707 (and a 101 for my son), Tr6s (partially for my son), S1, Volca bass, Circuit Tracks (gave it to my son), Korg emx1, and I gotta say the emx1 has a fantastic sound and groove, and it’s really hands on, you see all options and functions, not so much shifting and menu diving, but all other units are very limited compared to M+, they all have a few things that I appreciate, and it’s nice to mix the instruments to get different flavors, a little here, a little there and within 15 minutes you forget what sound is playing from where, but I have so much fun messing around. But when push comes shove I use M+ to produce tracks that I finish for release.

• Schmapps1
    Schmapps1 Member Posts: 140 Pro

Right? Hahaha. "Hmmm this doesn't really sound like Dubstep I don't think...."

good lord 🤣

• djadidai

lol is that true? Then that must mean they don’t know what the freak they’re talking about!! I must say I enjoy the vibes and sounds of the new exp!! Dub techno wise I hear some potential. However many things can be created with a little bit of synth and fx knowledge. Maybe I’ll buy it at the black winter sale.

• tempsperdu
    tempsperdu Member Posts: 424 Pro

Schmapps1

I think people really want to comment on that, but they are holding back because they just don’t want to allow themselves to believe it hahaha. We’ve been hurt before

Endlessly.😂

Presumably, they aren't abandoning Maschine and Kai's query thread would lead us to posit that they are not yet sure what they want to do with it, or if you've been around NI for a bit you might just cynically feel...what they think they can get away with.....................

How they could 'break' so much of Maschine and make it slower to use than it's ever been, then leave it for months in that state without seemingly a second thought, doesn't inspire the greatest of confidence, but hey ho, I remain open to the idea that good will come of this till it doesn't.................

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 3,009 Expert

@Warempel

So there "might" be an update to the Maschine SW.

You do not understand NI language.....

That gets translated to English: "Get ready!!!! There is the new version ready for release. Very soooon!!!"

--------------

It is sort of obvious NI works on new Maschine SW and new Traktor as there has not been much new things for long. And the both are pretty old...

And new HW slowly comes and it is not compatible with current SW. ;-)

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,255 mod
    edited February 22

@PK The DJ

I'm having to LOL at the YouTube "influencers" calling the new Echo Versions expansion dubstep.

It certainly leans more towards dub-techno but what's wrong with calling it dubstep? A few of the demos sound a lot like Mala and tons of other classic dubstep producers, not to be confused with modern brostep AKA Skrillex style.

Tons of electronic genres fused with dub influence.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,407 Expert
    edited February 22

Agree.

And I also agree with “people don’t know what they are talking about”. But…maybe they do?

Dubstep isn’t even a genre anymore, more a “container”. You can have hip hop influenced dubstep, techno influenced dubstep, more electronic influenced dubstep, or reggae influenced dubstep… Which, in facts, is where it all started from (and from where the name come from…you know…dub is a thing and started in Jamaica in the late 60s).

Therefore…if one is searching for those other influenced dubstep (which imo have only partially to do with original dub…and also original dubstep)…then yeah…this almost reggae pack has only few aspects to share with it (even if we can listen only to few sounds examples…who knows… maybe a lot of its other groups have a more “electronic/modern” feel in them).

But if you know from where dubstep is coming from, then… you can surely find things to use in this new expansion. Which is true in any case…as someone already said, you can make almost any genre of music with almost any type of instrument…it’s up to your creativity. Without which (the creativity) we probably wouldn’t even have seen the birth of the concept of dubstep, since nobody would have thought “you know what? I want to take some concept of Dub music (delays, echoes, spring reverbs, transforming one sound by interrupting it and using just its frequencies drown with fxs to create a new type of sound) and infuse in them a modern vibe, by mixing them with sonorities created later in the years”. In the same way as if Jamaican engineers in the late 60s didn’t have the creativity and curiosity (forced also by the limited possibilities they had) to experiment with tape recorders and the dated devices BBC left on the island (when England left after Independence) to use them in a “different” way, we wouldn’t have had Dub. Which then lead to the birth of so many new styles (yes, even techno in the end comes from what they did in those years, even if it sounds so different). Quite surprising how many things come from a relatively small island of poor people. Full of inventive, these lazy Jamaicans ☺️ (one of the best definition Rastafarians gave of themselves: “Crazy, lazy, but full of intentions”)

If what one is looking for is already prepared sounds (or even already completed loops to just paste in their song) to use “as they are” and as hundreds of others will use and to fit one single genre of dubstep (the more electronic influenced one), then you have other packs, like Drop Squad (even if, also with that one, some good hip hop influenced dubstep can be done)… otherwise, if you “know what you’re talking about’, then…yeah…Echo Versions can be also a very valid dubstep source

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 674 Guru
    edited February 22

I was kind of keen to learn more about the hats and snares of that pack, as those are the oneshot samples I like the most when it comes to Caribbean style of riddims.. You know those mangy hits they have on the old records which have this nice sibilant dirt to them.. But I'm not dropping 50€ just for some snares and hats LMAO

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,407 Expert
    edited February 22

Instead of dropping 50 €, drop a ridiculous amount of reverb on the hats and snares you already own and you’ll get to that Reggae feel 😂 (it’s an oversimplification , but you get the point ☺️).

Oh…and use a snare that has been made with metal: that’s where that “nice sibilant dirt” come from. Once again, Jamaicans artist having little possibilities didn’t allow them to buy wood ones…luckily, since this created that typical, very recognizable signature sound 😉

And cut down the sustain…even muffled sound is typical on Caribbean snares (you’ll probably never see a drum set from Jamaica without tons of tape sticked on it…but now we have an easier and modifiable way to do it by simply turning a knob 😉)

• djadidai

And dont forget the delays with long feedback

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,255 mod
    edited February 22

"Dub delay" generally means feedback + hp/lp filter and semi-often not in typical 1/2, 1/4, etc... but also in triplets or not 100% on grid; I not an expert but I do like me some dancehall and reggae. :)

By that logic every modern genre is not a genre but instead a container, sure... I'm fine with that POV although we tend to call it just sub-genres when things are heavily modified and/or blended.

All I am saying is there's definitely a fair bit of "Dub" in that expansion, so it can be used for dub-techno or dubstep or the other 100 dub-whatever sub-genres out there. One of the sound designers is a full-blown reggae drummer, another a dubstep producer (I think), while the main one (and most others) are techno/house; it shows across in the demos...

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,627 Expert

I have now purchased the expansion, and it's lovely stuff - now having heard some of the demo tracks, I would still say it's more dub reggae than dubstep.

BTW if you like dub reggae, check out a guy called Pachyman.

This discussion has been closed.