Does NI actually fix issues with their software?

jeffdavis0704
jeffdavis0704 Member Posts: 7 Newcomer
edited October 22 in Native Access
I just purchased my first product and it won't download. I saw that the issue has been reported numerous times and it seems that they just rely on the "community" to reply and "figure it out". This seems silly given the amount they charge for their products.

Further, if they can't write an installer, is their other software any good?

Answers

• mykejb
    mykejb Moderator Posts: 1,624 mod

Which software did you purchase? Do you have the the latest version of Native Access installed? What error message you get?

• jeffdavis0704
    I purchased Strummed Acoustic 2. I followed all of the prompts for Native Access and that part worked fine. I have tried installing the Strummed Acoustic product about 12 times now through Native Access. I have tried everything listed in this forum and even uninstalled Norton to confirm it wasn't causing the problem.
  • jeffdavis0704
    The error is the "Failed Download" that has been reported by many users for a long time
  • Mark Oxley
    Mark Oxley Member Posts: 268 Advisor
    edited February 15

I was also having an issue downloading other libraries in Native Access and managed to resolve this myself where 2 tickets to NI support couldn't help. I found inside my library content folder previous failed downloads and deleted them. Look for an .iso or .exe and folder with the name of the library your having issues with in the library content folder and delete them if found then try downloading again.

It might also help to run NI's uninstall tool (link below) and see if this library shows up. If so uninstall it from here and retry installation in Native Access.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003509269-Fixing-Software-Update-Installation-Issues-Windows

I also had a similar issue updating KK and Kontakt many times through Native Access which both failed with an unknown error being thrown up every time. The solution was the same. Inside the library content folder were 2 .exe files for KK and Kontakt. I removed them and then retried the updates, both updated first time after this.

• chk071
    chk071 Member Posts: 526 Pro

Which version of Native Access are you using? Which OS are you using? Which OS version are you using? What kind of computer are you using?

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 2,104 Expert

" I have tried everything listed in this forum and even uninstalled Norton to confirm it wasn't causing the problem."

Excellent. This is one item you should never return to. Norton should be avoided at all costs. If you really need to use AV - just let Win Defender do it's thing (if you are on Windows).

The "failed download" thing can have several causes - more info as requested by chk071 would help.

VP

• jeffdavis0704
    Thanks all for the feedback. NI support provided a direct link that worked. I guess that's the solution instead of actually fixing their installer.
  • kitekrazy
    kitekrazy Member Posts: 6 Member

As for Native Access for me it's the other f word that happens. I get tired of it. Direct downloads are needed.

• mylescs
    mylescs Member Posts: 3 Newcomer
    I'm losing a lot of patience with NI's lack of support, given how much of their stuff I've owned over the years. I can't even use software I've paid because nobody has reponded to my previous request.
  • DunedinDragon
    DunedinDragon Member Posts: 905 Guru

I've never needed a direct download and everything always works just fine. You might not need them to provide a solution either were you to answer some the basic questions you've been asked such as what version of Windows, Native Access and Kontakt (I assume Kontakt but you haven't specified).

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 3,009 Expert
    edited February 17

I have been using NI SW for many years. And I needed download link only few times.

1) There was repeated problem to download bulk Kontakt Library during NI release of new Komplete version. Download servers were overloaded... NI support gave me direct link.

2) Download of Traktor repeatedly failed on one of my computers, but not on other. I got installer from computer where download worked and installed it on where it did not.

3) Old Kontakt Libraries that are not downloadable using NA had to be downloaded from NA web.

• Avasopht
    Avasopht Member Posts: 14 Member

This 100%.

Some UX features that save users a hell of a lot of frustration and wasting copious amounts of our time are trivial to develop.

I'm watching it slowly "install" all of the expansions I already have on my SSD. It does the same thing on Windows and OSX.

I had to manually locate each instrument even though they all reside in the same folder.

It could be a painless procedure for users without much work.

---

I'm guessing this is all developed by third parties, and the accounting department has vetoed every effort to remove a huge pain point for users because they just don't want to fork out a small amount of cash to do so.

It shows 0% respect for users.

I've forked out a lot of cash and was not expecting this no-frills experience.

• BIF
    BIF Member Posts: 945 Guru

I've never needed a direct download either, and I have downloaded literally terabytes of data with Native Access. Yeah, NA versions 1 and 2 were not the best. But we've had V3 for months now, and it seems to be quite reliable.

And yes, he never answered the basic troubleshooting questions. When OP has another problem, we'll probably have to go through this all over again, including the begging for information part of it...won't we?

• Avasopht
    Avasopht Member Posts: 14 Member

NI provided a solution to the OP, so they didn't need to answer the basic troubleshooting questions to solve it, because NI did that already.

When you have more than a million users, you'll always have a small percentage who suffer from issues because of the minute differences in the state of their OS and rare bugs that are eventually triggered by a small minority of users.

It's why companies with a dedicated QA team still rely on beta testing to catch bugs (because it gives you a wide enough net to invoke rare bugs).

It also happens with hardware - a small percentage of manufactured stock will have defects that the vast majority of buyers won't experience.

• Vocalpoint
    Vocalpoint Member Posts: 2,104 Expert
    edited February 20

@BIF

"NA versions 1 and 2 were not the best. But we've had V3 for months now, and it seems to be quite reliable."

Gentle reminder - there is no such thing as an "official" Native Access v3.

NI (in all their development and marketing wisdom) has somehow managed to keep BRANDING this product (officially) as Native Access 2 - while someone, somewhere thought it would be great (but not confusing to the users AT ALL) to allow the actual version numbering system slip (midstream) from its 100% correct V2.x designation to an (inexplicable) v3.x designation without any explanation or logic whatsoever.

Only a bunch of developers who never see the light of day could think this is a good idea.

I cannot tell you how many times I have had to explain what it is I am talking about - endlessly - to users having issues with NA when I suggest they download the "latest" Native Access.

Almost a guarantee now that if/when we ever do get a Native Access v3 - it's versioning system will most likely be called v4.x.x

VP

This discussion has been closed.