M+ standalone optimized Reaktor content from the community

Comments

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 587 Guru
    edited April 2022

Vocoder fx seems quite doable, at least a mono one (takes left channel as carrier, right as modulator). Autotune style pitch quantizer would be a much more challenging build I'd imagine..

I just checked the vocoders at the Reaktor User Library, and unfortunately most, if not all of them seem to have an internal synth voice. Such designs will be impossible to implement for M+, since you can either input audio to an Ensemble (if its a Reaktor FX instance) or input MIDI to an Ensemble (if its a Reaktor Instrument instance), not both. So somebody would need to build an audio-only vocoder like the one I outlined above.

There also seems to be at least one Auto-tune style ens in the User Library, so theoretically an auto-pitch FX is not outside the realm of possibility. However, that's wayy beyond my meager Reaktor building skills.. Vocoder is just a fancy filterbank, an Auto-tune style device is something else entirely..

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 336 Guru

I figured using the library just to as a way for people to keep it streamlined.

Don't post in the thread unless you're linking to an ensemble. Have the conversation about your ensemble over in the library. Maybe someone can periodically update the first post with links; that way things aren't completely buried in comments.

I wouldn't expect NI to give us an actual subforum since it's not a supported feature. I'm not sure the people in the reaktor forum would appreciate us spamming them either.

...but either way; I'm just happy to see people talking about it.

• darkwaves
    darkwaves Member Posts: 336 Guru

That vocoder works; though it's not built for M+ or NKS. All I did was open it on desktop, create a snapshot and mark it as an instrument. Copied over to my USB stick (all of my reaktor stuff is on a USB stick and not the SD card). Enable audio input for the sound slot (i.e. a mic); insert the ensemble in the sound slot.

• tetsuneko
    edited April 2022

Awesome, thanks for sharing! Were these built in Reaktor 6.4.3?

EDIT: While these might be compatible with M+, they all still seem to have redundant GUI's and redundant parameters in Maschine?

• Peter Harris
    Peter Harris Member Posts: 470 Pro

So when you put these ENS files on the SD card for M+, is it in a "user library" directory in the root or a subdirectory of Native Instruments? I can't get them to show up in either case.

• Peter Harris
  • tetsuneko

Gimme a sec.. the exact path which works for me is

"Native instruments/User Content"

You can create a subfolder titled "Reaktor" under this folder in order to keep your user library clearer (I do this for every content type myself, FM8, Massive, Kontakt, etc all get their subfolders..), but this shouldn't actually be mandatory. The most important thing is that you copy all user content under the "User Content" subfolder, that's all that should be required for Maschine+ to find it.

Apologies for not making this clear in my original post. I'll edit it to make this clearer.

BTW, make sure your Reaktor version on Maschine+ is 6.4.3. (You can check this under SETTINGS - Library)

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,302 Expert
    edited April 2022

@tetsuneko wrote:

All the ensembles are created on a mac running OS Catalina, with the same Reaktor version as what is current on Maschine+. Have you updated your Maschine+ Reaktor version?

My M+ is on the current 1.4 beta with Reaktor 6.4.4. Seems that Reaktor on the M+ is unfortunately rather picky about the version used to save an Ensemble.

• Peter Harris
    edited April 2022

That did it. Wow, those are so much fun to play with!

Also makes me realize I have an incredible amount to learn about the underlying audio processing techniques and especially terminology. At this point I'm more or less randomly twisting knobs but that's still fun too.

Now that I've dumped a bunch of ensembles into my User Content on M+ I don't know which member here to thank for which one so thank you all!

Especially love "phase wash" and other auto-modulating ones like that while I'm still learning all the settings. Those I can just turn on and listen to all the cool sweeping back and forth.

• Peter Harris
    edited April 2022

I think I got these working in M+ but I'm having a hard time figuring out which effect comes from which named ensemble. So I'll just thank you generally. 🙂 Is there any easy way to tell which effect as they show up in the magnifying glass icon list came from which ensemble file?

BTW I especially like the "phase wash". Is that one of yours?

One of them was definitely created by a Canadian too! It's called Pizza Pizza Garlic Sauce. 😂 Sadly I couldn't get that one to work though.

• tetsuneko
    edited April 2022

I see. This is actually encouraging news to me! I'm pretty sure these will also work on your M+ if I had built them with Reaktor 6.4.4. I have encountered this exact issue with Massive, where Massive patches made with 1.5.9. on the desktop refuse to open in M+ running Massive 1.5.8.

I will just need to rebuild these with Reaktor 6.4.4. once the 1.4 OS gets a public release. I'm also suspecting this is the reason why many of the other ensembles do not work on your M+, it's exactly the same issue (those ensembles are made with Reaktor 6.4.3 or earlier)

This happens because Maschine+ does not ever show you the actual name of an Ensemble, it just shows you the names of the presets inside an ensemble. Another reason why Reaktor content should be optimized for M+ use. If you check my filter examples, you will see what I mean, as I have only included a single Reaktor preset (aka snapshot) with all of them and have named them with the ensemble name, instead of typical preset names which usually only try to describe what happens inside that specific ensemble.

For now, if you must find out which presets belong to which ens file, you need to open the ensembles in Maschine desktop and look up the preset names from there - the snapshots have identical names inside M+'s browser.

• Dstep ATL
    Dstep ATL Member Posts: 95 Helper

You can sort which ensemble’s presets you are looking at in the browser, like how you would select which plugins presets you are looking at. I can easily sort between the VHS degradation suite presets and the space echo presets, for example. Those are the only two Reaktor effects I have loaded at the moment. Neither are optimized with cleaned up controls, but they work OK.

• tetsuneko
    edited April 2022

Ah, I stand corrected. By the way, are you able to change the mic impulse resonses of the VHS Degradation Suite in M+ standalone? I tried getting the imuplse response list parameter to manifest in Maschine Desktop, but without success (I suspect this is due to the UI method used in the original Ensemble).

I can now resume tackling the VHS suite M+ optimizations, but there's quite a lot to unpack with that ensemble.. So far, I've only managed to remove most of the extraenous UI graphics. On another note, the fact that the VHS suite ens uses embedded audio samples and still seems to work in M+ is also encouraging.

• Dstep ATL
    Dstep ATL Member Posts: 95 Helper

I am honestly not sure, there are so many pages of parameters, and full descriptions of each knob aren’t entirely visible. It can be tough determining which parameters I am even adjusting on the +. With some trial and error I have a rough preset to use, but it’s not great. With Space Echo, the great challenge is that there is no sync, and adjusting the time parameter is on a scale of 300+, making it difficult to dial in a usable delay.