Previous versions of recently updated Kontakt libraries / compatibility with K6 older libraries

Comments

• dexl
    dexl Member Posts: 51 Member

This really has to be brought to NI's attention, @Jeremy_NI. For the amount of money the software is sold, it's outrageous the company is pushing updates that break people's setup. I know Kontakt 7 is wonderful, but there are thousands of NI customers who want to work with Kontakt 6 that they might have bought pretty recently.

• MrFresh
    MrFresh Member Posts: 54 Member

They aren’t forcing anything, if you have Kontakt 6, and you have the current version, just don’t update the K7 instrument.

• MrFresh

Pushing a Kontakt 7 update doesn’t break you K6 system unless you choose to update to the K7 instrument and you don’t have K7, I don’t get it.

• GDabZ
    GDabZ Member Posts: 11 Member

I beg to differ. As there is no dependency management of any sort into Native Access, it shows updates for instruments that are incompatible with my currently installed or maximum possible installable version of Kontakt. Which means if I'm not being attentive during updates, or if I'm setuping a new machine, Native Access will deliver the wrong content for me.

It just happened on a new Macbook: I opened NA, installed Kontakt, installed Noire: Noire can't launch. And then I've got to look for the correct installer myself. This is bad user experience.

And one might say: this is the desired behavior. I'm pushed to update out of practicity, because when NI will have updated all of its instruments to run on Kontakt 7 I'll be damned if I'll spend an afternoon looking for the correct installers, instead of just buying Kontakt 7, which I don't need.

Correct dependency management in NA would propose correct installers depending on currently installed or selectable version of Kontakt in options panel.

They are not forcing the update per se, but they are making the experience more difficult for those who don't. It's a dark pattern.

• AndreBlais
    AndreBlais Member Posts: 13 Member

I'm also a victim of this absolutely glaring oversight on NI's part. It's hard to understand why Native Access continues to be second only to IK Multimedia's absolutely dog sh!t installer lol... Come to think of it they might actually be in third place - second place I think has to go to Spitfire Audio (yes, their installer is absolutely busted).

• MrFresh

I'm not saying dependency management is unnecessary. I'm simply saying it's not a need for me because I am attentive to what is being shown as updates. If I still desire to use Kontakt 6 Full, every time I see an update pushed by NI to my NA, I simply read the Release Notes and if it requires Kontakt 7 (even though I have the K7 Player), I simply don't download and install it, that's all. I have 7 updates in my NA queue right now that will not be installed until I decide to use K7 Player or install K7 Full.

• neilf
    neilf Member Posts: 1 Newcomer

This is a welcome set of files, thanks, saved me putting in a support ticket, but really, breaking changes should be flagged. It's not that people don't want to use K7, its that they might be stuck on 6 with versions of their DAW, Reason 10 in my case.

• Calagan
    Calagan Member Posts: 183 Advisor

î î î î î î î î î î î î

+1000 to this î î î î î î î î î î î î @AtomOfScent

• dexl
    dexl Member Posts: 51 Member
    edited December 2023

OK, after downgrading Noire to Noire 1.1., from the first page file, my DAW's MIDI input/output settings got completely messed up, there are multiple FAIL messages next to Komplete Kontrol A-series keyboard as well as my other MIDI controllers. Seriously?!

So it's either Kontakt 7 or Kontakt 7, right? Thank you, NI.

I reverted to the most recent version of Noire, yes, MIDI FAIL messages disappeared (!), but this means I cannot acces my old projects in Kontakt 6.

Read my post again. If I don’t update K7 instrument, everything breaks down. If that's not forcing then how would you describe my situation?

• bezko
    bezko Member Posts: 1 Newcomer
    edited December 2023
  • Jojo123
    Jojo123 Member Posts: 318 Pro

So...I mistakenly updated two libraries and please dont come at me all you who say no ones holding a gun to head forcing you to update. Its an easy oversight and just a cursory look in the forums will tell you how many have got caught out and all the fallout as a result. It makes much more sense for NI to make it easier to see when we should update - as people have rightly said.

Anyway, as a result dealing with google drive and all the fiddling around has become infuriating and ridiculous. Ive spent hours faffing around with this. I successfully downloaded Electric Sunburst delux, but Ive had 3 failures for Picked Acoustic.

I have no idea what the error means but it cant be my computer because I got Sunburst successfully. I also have no idea why the date created in the Bin is whack or the discrepencies with the clock icon. They ALL took about an hour each and failed just before completion. (Grrrrrrr)

PLEEEEASE Native Instruments PLEEEEEEEEASE host your own products. Why are we forced to use google who I try to avoid like a plague. Downloading from them is also less secure (your own (NI) words) and they tell you the files are too large to scan for viruses. Such a company as large as Native Instruments surely has the wherewithal to host all the installers including the older ones. We've been asking for this for a very long time. Look how much time this would have saved, for both NI Staff and customers. ANd also this... they (google) are often as slow as molasses and certainly no better than NA1 in my experience, which Im loath to update seeing all the issues with NA2.

I am absolutely FED UP with google drive. So much so I tried the route of uninstalling Picked Acoustic, and using my K13 UCE harddrive which would have the old installer. However no dice. NA recognized my K drive but said it would update it anyway (Grrrrr) If theres a way around this that Im not seeing can you tell me?

If thats not possible can you please give me a zip file. WHen I had issues with Stradivari Cello it was only a zip that was successful in the end. I have no idea whats going on with your files and why all this drama keeps happening. Its no wonder people are venting their frustration. We love your instruments but the administration side is taxing on a lot of folk.

• MrFresh

Ok, my misunderstanding. If you started in K6 with Noire, what I don't understand is if you are downgraded Noire 1.1 for K6 again, where along the way did things change such that your MIDI is now messed up, I guess that's the part I don't understand.

• komthusr
    komthusr Member Posts: 47 Member
    edited December 2023

That's exactly what I don't understand either. The moment I downgraded Noire (to be able to open it in Kontakt 6), the MIDI hardware ports for my Komplete keyboard and my other MIDI controller got a FAIL next to them. So basically I couldn't use them in my DAW, they were unresponsive. The problem got fixed immediately after I upgraded Noire in Native Access, but if course I'm back to square one, I can't open my old Noire projects with Kontakt 6. :)

So it's an either/or situation.

Can someone else confirm this, I am wondering if this is just my situation or are there more users with the same/similar problem.

• MrFresh

It may be a one-off. Early last month, I accidentally upgraded to Ashlight for K7, which caused problems in K6. All I did was download the K6 version, installed it, and was able to use it again in K6 with no issues, no changes to anything, including my S49 Mk2.