Maschine+ 1.5 = OUT NOW

Options

Comments

• AdelV
    AdelV Member Posts: 223 Pro
    Options

I have been working with the update the last 2 days and I must say that I have no problems. After the reboot it took a little long to boot the device, but then it was ok. Kudos to NI @Kai_NI

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 610 Guru
    Options

Did you shut ddown Maschine+ immediately after updating? If you didnt, it might explain slow reboots, as shutting down after updating supposedly finishes some background cleanup tasks

• djadidai
    djadidai Member Posts: 394 Pro
    Options

Ok, so I should have the stones to update my unit?

• AsylumSpeaker
    AsylumSpeaker Member Posts: 25 Helper
    Options

I mean, this is a thread about the M+ 1.5 update. And yes, it's a pretty major M+ update.

USB class compliance has always been a minefield, with lots of manufacturers' interfaces trying to skirt or push the boundaries of what compliant means. Class compliant "should" work is, I think, a pretty normal thing. iOS devices and interfaces, for example, have exactly the same situation. Class compliant "should" work, but in some cases it just doesn't for whatever reason. People check carefully if their devices will work before they buy them, and manufacturers test their devices and label them as iOS friendly, even if they are class compliant.

Stable, unchanged software is a sensible model for pro audio. It's not the only way to be, but it's a perfectly normal design philosophy. I would much prefer consistent modernisation updates to big new features. I bought the tool I bought, and I'm happy with my purchase. I want it to be a better version of what it is, not a completely different new thing. If NI find the time, energy, and design potential to add something amazing, that's cool, I won't be upset if M+ gets a granular engine, or a Maschine optimised version of Absynth or something. But I'd prefer if they added a Reaktor API, or over the air file transfer, or anything else that makes what's already there better.

• PK The DJ
    PK The DJ Member Posts: 1,157 Guru
    Options

OMG still people are throwing toys from their prams and behaving as if they're entitled: "I bought this product so Native Instruments have to do what I say. IMMEDIATELY!"

😲

• OhulahanBass
    OhulahanBass Member Posts: 141 Pro
    Options

I have had no issue with update. Glad to hear class compliancy issues seems to be on the radar!

• jolly Dodger
    jolly Dodger Member Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Latest on my sd-card needs formatting message after updating mare. (Apologies for delay reporting back, big delivery push this week at work)

• so I backed up, and then put the card in again, strangely it did not complain, but then I noticed I had no expansions, and after I download them it looked like it downloaded them, but after, no expansion was visible. Then worked out nothing was writing to the sdcard.
    • so I reformatted the sdCard (13m old sanDisk ultra 512), reset the Maschine to it’s init state, authorised, and downloaded my expansions. Moved over my old user content folder (but it failed twice doing this, so dodgy sd-card is looking probable), fired up a electro acid funk ridim project and bob’s your uncle. Tidy. Panic over. Moral of the story don’t buy sd cards from Amazon.

The only wierd thing now is that 3/4 of the expansions are now missing their icons when looking in the browser.

• jolly Dodger
    jolly Dodger Member Posts: 55 Member
    Options

I’ve had 4 grooveBoxes and 5 cc usb interfaces. All the box’s had inconsistent compatibility that changed with firmware updates with the different devices not/working. It looks like this is a programmers nightmare. My 2c. M+ is slightly less cc compatible than some other boxes. The most compatible cc interfaces are RME and Beheringer umc 1820.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,886 mod
    edited December 2023
    Options

Ahh the old irony of complaining that others are complaining... 😜

Fair enough, that's a sensible opinion especially in regards to the M+ in standalone mode specifically, If I only used it in Standalone I too would prefer a stable/unchanged philosophy, assuming current users are increasing, happy and it is stable to begin with... Although I don't fully see evolution as a hindrance to stability, rushing releases and other issues seem to have more impact on that IMO. I won't expand on that as I don't want to be rude and get in on the NI bashing.

I guess your priorities are as valid as anyone else's, a better way to implement Reaktor or a dedicated browsable lib to install user content could solve many people's requests I guess.

• Jiglo
    Jiglo Member Posts: 154 Advisor
    Options

I had a freeze loading a Group earlier. Had to hold the power button, then restart. The only issue i've had so far in maybe 4 hours of use.

• Goldie B
    Goldie B Member Posts: 5 Member
    edited December 2023
    Options

Thanks, Tetsuneko. This is how I do it if I have to, however this involves uninstalling it, and all its cables and mic and power etc, from where it neatly lives (with cables tied and tidied away behind it), in my standalone space - which is deliberately away from the computer, with a rack of keyboards, so I can have a creative jamming area that isn’t in my office, in front of a computer, where I have to spend a lot of time during the rest of the week. I’ve even bought an extra power supply from NI (the one they recommend as compatible - but which is in fact too loose, and doesn’t have the locking mechanism of the original), to aid with making this more practicable. But realistically, by the time I’ve moved everything around, I’ve often run out of time, or lost the vibe. And then when I do do that - I’ve still left myself the job of putting it all back again before I can get back to work in my office. So realistically, it just tends to sit in one space or the other a lot of the time, which is a shame - especially when I’m only moving it in order to transfer a file - on a device which supports wifi. It also means changing mode, which also requires a restart.

Another nice middle ground might be if I could leave it permanently connected via usb for file transfer (I could potentially run a really long cable, and cover it with tape so no one trips over it where it would cross doorway) - but while still being able to have it operate in standalone, powering the speakers in my computer free zone. This would also mean I could use the unit with my computer, and quickly move files - without burning my mac’s cpu playing tracks that could be using the maschine+’s internal processing power. I run its outs into my UAD apollo and its onboard DSP for this reason sometimes, when it’s in the office - as my mac is currently the weakest link in the chain (I’m just using UAD Luna on the mac as a tape recorder with baked in UAD DSP effects) and I can’t (yet) quite justify/spare the outlay on the kind of Mac I’ll want to upgrade to next). It seems a shame burning mac CPU power Maschine 2 when the Maschine+ has its own just sitting there - just in order to enable transferring files easily - again, on a device which is wifi capable :)

I hope that makes the use cases a little clearer. It just seems a real shame and inconvenience that I can’t just stay in standalone mode, and send out a file over the wifi network.

Even better would be an NI Cloud area (they muuust be working on one, right? Potentially for an updated Maschine with more juice, further down the line - but I can imagine making it work across so many legacy instruments is probably a tough task.

But Rome wasn’t built in a day (and trust me, I understand design and development processes well - and what I think I’m sensing here is a very enthusiastic, caring and well intentioned, possibly relatively newly reassigned, team who I’m grateful to see so engaged - and who I’m guessing will be doing their best over the coming months and really are listening - especially if we don’t beat them up to much in their first few sprints! - much of which inevitably usually means laying some less exciting, foundational groundwork when a new team gets assigned, potentially with the previous team’s help) - I’m looking forward to seeing what’s coming - just getting my vote in early for some simple, low cost/complexity way of sending a project across wifi without at least 10 mins rearranging my spaces - and then another ten putting it all back. It’d just take one little bit of a spontaneity killer out of the way!

To be clear, I have no inside knowledge here - just many years of designing and speccing systems in challenging environments!

Happy holidays to all - and I’m looking forward to seeing what else comes along!

• tetsuneko
    tetsuneko Member Posts: 610 Guru
    edited December 2023
    Options

Yeah, NGL I wouldn't mind if the wifi connectivity could also be used for user project and content management (content tagging via wifi sync would be an awesome feature for example!), that'd be great. Personally I just run a 3 meter USB cable to my computer from the standalone and jump to Storage mode & back again, but can understand not everyone has their computer even within 3 meters of their standalone unit

• Jiglo
    Jiglo Member Posts: 154 Advisor
    Options

I thought i'd found another bug after adding another sample pack i'd just made and it not being visible in my User library, but it seems I needed to run for a while so it could update all the content on the sd card.

Having nearly 300Gb of content, I left it running for maybe 20 mins while I cleaned the cooker and it had finished by the time I got back. Rebooted it and it now takes slightly longer than before, about 27s to boot up and around 1m 8s to finish scanning my content compared to about 25s and 47s before, from 1 timed run.

• Alexios
    Alexios Member Posts: 92 Advisor
    Options

Help the affected user! I contacted support and have been out of work for 3 days already! Give me back the previous firmware! Be merciful! I already asked for this!