Has NI abandoned Maschine

13»

Comments

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,405 Expert

Agree with almost all points, except Autosampler being “not much if any use for the majority of Maschine users”.

I’m the first one telling it’s many years Maschine doesn’t get many serious updates/improvements, but I must admit Autosampler is one (maybe the only).

Having the ability to go to your friend studio with just your laptop and sample his Minimoog by clicking a couple of times on the mouse to set up the preferences and then having it to play with your Maschine is, in my opinion, a big feature. But it’s not enough

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,252 mod
    edited September 2023

That just proves how subjective these things can really be. I didn't say it wasn't a "big feature", I said the majority couldn't care less, which in my eyes is actually factual but of course I cant prove it. Sampling a real synth from a friend is of course cool, then again theres literally only 11 posts on the Sampling Room sub-forum and it's been more than a year up there... So.. Idk.

To you it's a big feature and thats fair; to me, I'd actually prefer to use Monark for that scenario or with use other Auto-Sampling tools and spit out a Kontakt Patch (or other Samplers) for mini-moog or anything else really if that means Maschine would get something I'd use more often. I'd take simple tweaks and quality of live improvements over it.

• LostInFoundation
    LostInFoundation Member Posts: 4,405 Expert
    edited September 2023

You are right, and this is also NI problem in choosing what to implement (since they implement so little). If you chose THIS, that part of users will not be happy. If you chose THAT, the others will complain…

But I won’t take Sampling Room as an indicator: people tend to get jealous of what they have done and not share it (even when it’s not too much work thanks to an Autosampler).

I noticed this in the early stage of Loopy Pro beta: a lot of people praising how cool it was to have the possibility to share custom made templates…but then, in the Share your creations section, only my templates were public 😂. I can understand it: when you spend hundreds of hours creating a template, refining it, finding problems, setting up hundreds of bindings…you tend to think that it’s your baby and you don’t want to share it…☺️

• ozon
    ozon Member Posts: 1,646 Expert
    edited September 2023

@LostInFoundation shared:

I can understand it: when you spend hundreds of hours creating a template, refining it, finding problems, setting up hundreds of bindings…you tend to think that it’s your baby and you don’t want to share it…

Gollum‘s World!

My experience with sharing is quite different: First, it takes a lot of work to turn something fine for personal use into a „finished product“ and to properly package and prepare it for sharing. Second, you have to be grateful if you earn thanks and not complaints.

But I digress…

• Jiglo
    Jiglo Member Posts: 161 Advisor
    edited September 2023

I didn't know there was a Sampling Room.

I do use Auto Sampler, it's a great feature, but I agree with the comment above that i'm sampling stuff that I find interesting and might use myself in my work, rather than putting a lot of time into trying to make something that I think others are going to use. There's Tb's of sample content already online and I probably have half to three quarters of a Tb myself that i've been making and collecting since the 90s, but kudos to those who put the time into it crafting multi samples for others.

I'm more of a wannabe Pete Cannon than a mainstream music producer anyway. It's a very niche market that he excels in.

• AdelV
    AdelV Member Posts: 304 Guru

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Maschine won't die and will be supported. I have invested a lot of time in this system. Now I'm thinking about going back to Reason and Live. Although a standalone workstation seems best for my music. This lack of information and all - is just disturbing. 

• Kymeia
    Kymeia NKS User Library Mod Posts: 4,628 mod

Matt from NI has stated in the recent keyboard discussion that Maschine is definitely not going to be dropped. He couldn't say anymore because I presume they are still thinking about new developments for the platform but we were reassured that the platform itself is here to stay.

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 665 Guru

As long as they want to sell more Expansions (which I’m fan of), Maschine software will exist in some form (full version, player only, Battery 5/hybrid, etc.)

I have my doubts about hardware Maschine, though.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 3,252 mod
    edited October 2023

Kubrak asked in the KKS MK1 keyboards End Of Life thread, this was the response (link):

Without the HW the userbase of Maschine would decrease exponentially, people use the SW because it talks to the HW, Mikros might be an exception since it does have a lot of users only interrupted in MIDI Mode.

If they cant update MAS SW to feel modern and not "abandoned" then it's really hard to imagine them making a new MAS SW so good it would entice a new audience to start using it on the merit of the software alone... If don't think they are this bold and delusional but if they are then good luck, they gonna need it.

• Maciej Repetowski
    Maciej Repetowski Member Posts: 665 Guru
    edited October 2023

Oh well, if you look at KK3 - they are indeed very bold :)

They have around 80 or so expansions so far, they need something to play them with, if they want to sell more (like with Kontakt Play series). Doesn’t need to be Maschine software though. Battery reads them but itself it is very ancient and rusty. We shall see then…

This discussion has been closed.