Brand-new MK3, can't get my sound to work. Please help!

MidniteMeds
MidniteMeds Member Posts: 12 Member
edited February 2022 in Maschine

Hi everyone,

So I just bought my MK3 but this first day has been quite a frustrating experience. Long story short: I'm unable to get ANY sound by plugging in headphones in the phones jack. I'm on Mac OS Big Sur 11.6.

• Sony MDR plugged in + sound knob at the back turned on
  • Maschine MK3 as Device (CoreAudio Driver)
  • Input L & R / Output 3 & 4 as Maschine Out 1 (L & R)
  • Route main to headphones, check
  • On Mac - Sound - Input (Maschine MK3) - Output (Maschine MK3)
  • On Mac - Audio MIDI Setup - Maschine MK3 (+ configure speakers / Headphone L & R)
  • Played around with EXT. 1 & 2 as well (MASTER/GROUP/SOUND)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Would love to just hear sound and use the MK3's sound card

**UPDATE** This morning I've managed to get Youtube + Maschine 2 sounds coming out of the Line Out R using my headphones in the MK3. So 1) my headphones work and 2) other Line Outs as well. It's the headphone output on this MK3 that seems to be broken.

Strange detail: Line Out R seems to be stereo, Line Out L only right side of my headphones.

> Ticket via NI website has been created, emailed customer support of Bax Shop (online store) as well

Tagged:

Best Answer

• MidniteMeds
    Answer ✓

@John Lucas Sorry to hear you're having problems! I returned mine and received a new one. Turned out my first Maschine MK3 was faulty.

Answers

• MidniteMeds

See a screenshot here.

• Tony Jones
    Tony Jones Member Posts: 261 Pro

Stupid question, you've turned the volume up on the control?!

• MidniteMeds

What do you mean by "on the control"? The volume knob is turned on at the back of the MK3.

• Tony Jones
    edited February 2022

I just thought I'd try this myself (I never had). I plugged in and told Maschine to use the MK3 for output. No sound.

I then clicked on the output tab below the preferences and saw Maschine outputs 1&2 were going to the line outs. I changed to the headphones and it works fine. I didn't touch the Mac preferences at all.

• MidniteMeds

Hi Tony, thanks for your quick replies. I've compiled some screenshots so you get a picture of what my current settings are.

• Tony Jones
    edited February 2022

My setup is very similar except my Master audio goes to Ext1 not Ext2. To me that looks like the problem — your phones are on output 1

• MidniteMeds

Already played around with that as well. Tried again to put the MASTER - AUDIO on EXT.1, but still no dice.

• Tony Jones

Sorry. No more ideas;-(

• three_eyed_otter
    three_eyed_otter Member Posts: 25 Member
    edited February 2022

Have you done a reinstall of the software via NA? When I first installed MK3 I could not get the metronome click to play beyond a faint digital pulse because of a legacy setting from my mikro mk2 install. After reinstall, do not turn on the hardware until the software is completely setup & you get no more spinning circles by the browser. Then close the software, restart the computer, turn on hardware, & then turn on software & configure the output.

Here's the instructions from the Quick Start Guide:

3. Select the hardware driver supported by your controller (e.g., ASIO on Windows) from the Driver drop-down menu.

4. Select Maschine MK3 from the Device drop-down menu.

5. In the Routings section, click Input and select 1: Input Left and 2: Input Right in the Maschine In 1 L and Maschine In 1 R drop-down menus, respectively. This assigns the LINE IN / MIC IN combo inputs on your controller to the first pair of virtual inputs in the MASCHINE software.

6. In the same Routings section, click Output and select the left and right output channels of your controller you want to use for the various virtual outputs of the MASCHINE software.

→ The MASCHINE software is now configured for using the internal audio interface of your MASCHINE controller.

By default, the virtual outputs of the MASCHINE software are assigned as follows:

▪ The Maschine Out 1 L and Maschine Out 1 R virtual outputs are sent to the 1: Main Left and 2: Main Right outputs, which correspond to the LINE OUT L and R sockets on the rear panel of your controller, respectively.

▪ The Maschine Out 2 L and Maschine Out 2 R virtual outputs are sent to the 3: Headphone Left and 4: Headphone Right outputs, which both correspond to the PHONES stereo socket on the rear panel of your controller.

Have a good one,

3EO

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod
    edited February 2022

All the settings look correct. Did you give Maschine Microphone permission? Altho macOS calls it "Microphone" it actually means Audio generally.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360001936818-MASCHINE-2-Does-Not-Receive-an-Audio-Signal-with-macOS-10-14-or-higher-

Also with the option Route Audio to Headphones turned on in MAS, you don't have to worry about manually setting up any Group/Master outputs, audio will go to both automatically.

• MidniteMeds

Thank you for chiming in. Reinstalled Maschine 2 but still no luck. @D-One also checked Security & Privacy Settings but access to Maschine was already granted. The software reacts to browsing through sounds (see top right corner), but still no sound coming from the Maschine MK3 Phone Jack.

• Tony Jones

I take it you can hear Maschine through the system speakers if you don't try all this? IE I take it Maschine can produce sounds to some destination? #anotherstupidquestion

• MidniteMeds

Hi Tony, when using "Built-in" (vs. Maschine MK3) as a Device, I can hear the sounds I'm browsing through + pads I'm hitting. But this means I'm not using the Maschine's Sound Card.

• D-One
    D-One Moderator Posts: 2,811 mod

Get in touch with official support, it's pretty rare but I remember 1 user actually having a defective unit, maybe it's also the case for you.

• MidniteMeds
    edited February 2022

Will do. Bought this unit at Bax Shop online, so I will reach out to them. With products like these though there's a unique software code that I've of course used to install the library of sounds that come with the MK3. So I hope that won't cause any issues warranty-wise.