Pro Tools Apple Silicon native AAX timeframe

Hanch
Hanch Member Posts: 3 Member

As some of you may know Avid has finally released a public beta of the Apple Silicon native version of Pro Tools. In my limited testing, the performance is far superior. Is there a rough time frame for when we can expect Apple Silicon native AAX compatibility across the NI product line? (In particular Komplete, Guitar Rig 6)

Thank you.

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,788 Expert

I am not on Mac, but are not most NI plugins AAX AS native, already? Except for Battery, Reaktor, Super 8, Komplete Kontrol and Maschine?

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014683497-Apple-Silicon-M1-M2-Compatibility-News

• Hanch

Within that link you provided there is the following disclaimer: **The AAX plug-in format (for Pro Tools) is not yet Apple Silicon compatible. Please continue to run Pro Tools in Rosetta 2 mode.

This is what i was referring to. I, along with most others, will prefer to run in Native mode as opposed to Rosetta 2 due to the massive performance gains between the two. Just trying to find out if anyone knows if NI has a general timeframe for its customers as to when this support will be added.

• Kubrak

** applies just to Komplete Kontrol and Maschine 2. Most (not all) NI SW should provide also AS native AAX, IMHO. But I am not on Mac, cannot verify, if NI information on that link is correct. You may try it, if you have Komplete bundle.

Reaktor and Battery should be AS in January. But as betatesting of Reaktor has started few days ago, I guess it will be more probably in February.

I have no idea, why Maschine 2 and Komplete Kontrol is not AAX yet as it is already AS. Maybe some issues concerning NKS, or hosting AAX plugins. Just guessing as it is what makes those two plugins different from others.

• Hanch

I have tested. The AS AAX builds do not exist yet (at least not publicly) for any of my NI plugins. I also found an app called PT Prefs 2 that can scan all your AAX plugins and tell you which ones are AS native. None of my NI AAX are native. Will just have to wait it out.

• Kubrak

OK, so NI has wrong information on that page, unless something went wrong on your side. I expect you have installed current versions of plugins.

Maybe that NI has waited until beta is released, so that they may test their AAX plugins in DAW....

• His-Way
    His-Way Member Posts: 1 Member

Hanch is absolutely correct. Currently at this time the only ones I have found to be AS AAX is FM8, and Kontakt 7 not 6. They where not AS AAX when this post started though. This is important to most Mac user of Pro Tools.

• bobster
    bobster Member Posts: 6 Newcomer
    edited May 2023

I have the full version of Kontakt 6, and the table at NI's site says that Kontakt 6 is natively supported on Apple silicon (see attached screen shot - I was unable to post a link).

However, Kontakt 6 doesn't appear in the Pro Tools Studio instrument menu (M1 Max Mac Studio, macOS 13.3.1, Pro Tools Studio 2023.3.0, Kontakt 6.7.1) unless I run in Rosetta mode (which I don't want because of CPU overloads even on small projects).

Also, note that the plugin compatibility page at Avid's site lists Kontakt 7 only.

So either NI's table is incorrect, or Avid's table is incorrect, or there's something wrong on my system.

I think it's the first one - NI's table is incorrect.

According to the app PlugInfo, the AAX version of Kontakt 6 on my system is Intel only, while the AU and VST 3 have both Intel and Apple silicon versions.

So, if anyone from NI sees this, does the Apple silicon AAX version of Kontakt 6 exist, and if so, how can I get it?

If it's in the works, when will it be available?

Or are you forcing us to pay for an update just for this particular version? If so...not cool that updates for AU and VST3 are free, but not AAX.

Either way, the table needs to be corrected. There is no exception noted for the AAX version of Kontakt 6, which is very confusing.

• mylescochran
    mylescochran Member Posts: 3 Member

Also trying to get some concrete information on whether Kontakt 6 is being abandoned for Pro Tools Apple Silicon users... doesn't seem right. Will we be forced to upgrade to Kontakt 7 in order to get compatibility?

Thanks,

Myles

• bobster

I emailed NI support. They didn't answer clearly, so I asked again and will post here when I hear back.

The implication is that yes, we'll be forced to upgrade to Kontakt 7 for Apple silicon AAX (though of course Kontakt 7 player is free).

I agree: it doesn't seem right to update Kontakt 6 AU and VST versions but not AAX.

• Kubrak

@bobster

Either way, the table needs to be corrected. There is no exception noted for the AAX version of Kontakt 6, which is very confusing.

You have overlooked the note below the table:

*Native Pro Tools / AAX plug-in support on Apple Silicon. For more info, visit this Avid page.

KONTAKT 6 does not have *.

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014683497-Apple-Silicon-Compatibility-News

• bobster
    edited May 2023

I didn't overlook anything. I think the information is poorly communicated.

The note should be at the TOP of the table, and it should say something like "only apps marked with the asterisk have Pro Tools / AAX plug-in support" or "Pro Tools / AAX support is limited to apps marked with the asterisk."

EDIT: Even better, there should be separate columns for AU, VST3, and AAX.

• Kubrak

You have overloked it. You cannot deny it.

But you are right, that it could be communicated better way. On the other side, this way of communication NI has used, is in list of features pretty standard... So, why do it other way....?

• bobster

Best would be separate columns for AU, VST3, and AAX.

We shouldn't have to go to Avid's site for details about AAX compatibility - these are NI's products, not Avid's.

• Kubrak

But you do not have to go to AVID www to know that Kontakt 6 is not supported.....

Plugins supported have note "*" after the name. There is no asterick after Kontak 6. It seems to me OK way to present the info...

• bobster

Yes, for the full version of Kontakt, you'll have to upgrade to Kontakt 7 for Apple silicon AAX compatibility. Kontakt 6 AAX will not updated for Apple silicon. NI support just confirmed it in an email.