Welcome to the new and improved Native Instruments online community. Join our active forum of 40,000+ members for discussions and much more.

Pro Tools Apple Silicon native AAX timeframe

Hanch
Hanch Member Posts: 3 Sine

As some of you may know Avid has finally released a public beta of the Apple Silicon native version of Pro Tools. In my limited testing, the performance is far superior. Is there a rough time frame for when we can expect Apple Silicon native AAX compatibility across the NI product line? (In particular Komplete, Guitar Rig 6)

Thank you.

Comments

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 1,663 Pulse

I am not on Mac, but are not most NI plugins AAX AS native, already? Except for Battery, Reaktor, Super 8, Komplete Kontrol and Maschine?

https://support.native-instruments.com/hc/en-us/articles/360014683497-Apple-Silicon-M1-M2-Compatibility-News

• Hanch

Within that link you provided there is the following disclaimer: **The AAX plug-in format (for Pro Tools) is not yet Apple Silicon compatible. Please continue to run Pro Tools in Rosetta 2 mode.

This is what i was referring to. I, along with most others, will prefer to run in Native mode as opposed to Rosetta 2 due to the massive performance gains between the two. Just trying to find out if anyone knows if NI has a general timeframe for its customers as to when this support will be added.

• Kubrak

** applies just to Komplete Kontrol and Maschine 2. Most (not all) NI SW should provide also AS native AAX, IMHO. But I am not on Mac, cannot verify, if NI information on that link is correct. You may try it, if you have Komplete bundle.

Reaktor and Battery should be AS in January. But as betatesting of Reaktor has started few days ago, I guess it will be more probably in February.

I have no idea, why Maschine 2 and Komplete Kontrol is not AAX yet as it is already AS. Maybe some issues concerning NKS, or hosting AAX plugins. Just guessing as it is what makes those two plugins different from others.

• Hanch

I have tested. The AS AAX builds do not exist yet (at least not publicly) for any of my NI plugins. I also found an app called PT Prefs 2 that can scan all your AAX plugins and tell you which ones are AS native. None of my NI AAX are native. Will just have to wait it out.

• Kubrak

OK, so NI has wrong information on that page, unless something went wrong on your side. I expect you have installed current versions of plugins.

Maybe that NI has waited until beta is released, so that they may test their AAX plugins in DAW....

• His-Way
    His-Way Member Posts: 1 Noise

Hanch is absolutely correct. Currently at this time the only ones I have found to be AS AAX is FM8, and Kontakt 7 not 6. They where not AS AAX when this post started though. This is important to most Mac user of Pro Tools.