Dev Talks: Why We Transformed Native Access

124»

Comments

• Hayo_NI
    Hayo_NI Product Team Posts: 271 mod

I think you might've quoted the wrong thread there, but will definitely have a chat to entertain the idea. I can see a lot of problems with swapping tech to a non-chromium based framework at the stage that we're in, so if we are eager/interested, highly doubt we'd be able to do anything about it anytime soon. Last thing we'd want is to release a Native Access number 3!

• Aaron McPherson
    Aaron McPherson Member Posts: 24 Helper

I had always assumed one of the goals of Native Access 2 was to support Komplete Now, but you didn’t mention it. Do you know what is going on with it, or is that some other department?

• Kubrak
    Kubrak Member Posts: 2,772 Expert

Well, you cannot please all. I would hate such a feature, do not need set or approove the installation path every time, I install.... And what would happen if one installs more items. One would sit and wait when window pops up here and there? Maybe for hours or days? I would smesh the computer and went to Beriln to have a serious talk with developers. ;-)

NI could do it user definable. If one desires to enter paths every time, every plugin, he may tick in User Setup something like "Ignore default Content Paths" and "Ignore default Download Path". And if not ticked, it would work as now...

• Hayo_NI
    edited December 2022

When we discussed this feature, this was precisely what we had a chat about.

We'd definitely want an opt-in/opt-out feature, so users can decide whether they want this feature by default. We'd also need to be more granular in how we discern our product types, so that with install all, we'd leverage the user to go through a few more steps (if opted in to this feature) when trying to install all their products with flexibility in where what goes all in one go. How we do this is up in the air, but it was a watercooler feature discussion at the time anyway, not a super in depth one.

However, the other side of the coin is giving users plenty tools, but getting them used to a feature with more complexity to it: how much do we simplify the process if they DO want more control, without compromising the ability to dictate where they install all their products? We might have to sacrifice ease of use in the short term and get users familiar with how they can organize their installs, a feature they'll learn to master later.

And how would they organize their products? This varies per user. I'm the type to organize my directory as granularly as possible so I have quick glance access to things, but other users bundle them all in one place... So many different user journeys we'd need to unify under one flow.

So while it's an interesting feature, there's moving parts we need to consider, and likely need to test on some users once we have a POC ready.

• Hayo_NI
    edited December 2022

Yes! We do support Komplete Now! If I remember correctly we launched out of Beta with subscription support. You'd need to set the subscription up via this link, and once you've signed up, either through paid service or through trial, it should appear in your Native Access 2 under the Subscriptions tab.

If this is not appearing, do not hesitate to send in a support ticket. They'll gladly help you out!

• akirabass
    akirabass Member Posts: 7 Member

Hi, Hayo, I appreciate the effort of the developer team to better the NA2 and explain the current situation.

I've always wondered why the installation of NTK Daemon still require the Rosetta, even after the announcement of full compatibility of NA2 to Apple Silicon chips. Currently my M1 MacBook Air is completely native without Rosetta. Honestly I'm very reluctant to install Rosetta just to install any app.

• MaikR
    MaikR Member Posts: 165 Advisor

Bit of a long thread, so some feature requests:

• An option to move libraries / expansions from their default install location (global setting) to a custom location. Would be nice to have a multi-select with that functionality, too.
    • Hide items on a per product basis; it's annoying to have all those 'selections' or non-Pro libraries in the install list, when you'll don't need to install them, as the full product is available, too.
    • NA should recognize if one has a newer or better version of a product installed (like Ozone Advanced) and offer to hide the standard version.
    • Add a feature to have and KEEP products authorized offline. Maybe by some sort of a downloadable license key file. I want to be sure that if NI gets down (temporary) I can still use my products (including backup and restore). Maybe it could be connected to an Apple ID (or Microsoft).
  • Hayo_NI

Hey, Sorry to get back so late. It was before my time but if I recall correctly, Rosetta is needed for the Daemon Helper tool, which assists in keeping your session active and granting permissions. If we can/need to remove it is unclear, and unfortunately my devs are now out on holiday so I'm afraid I can't answer that part. Sorry!

• Hayo_NI

Hey! Wish I could help you here, but this is outside of my scope! And appreciate the wishes!

• Hayo_NI

Hey! Thanks for the feature requests:

• Moving products is on our features list for things we would love to get implemented this year, and while we have ux/ui designs ready for it, a lot of other things are unfortunately ahead of this at the moment, but thanks for reaffirming that this is a feature our users want.
    • Yes! This is something that we could sneak in at some point, but again we haven't fully decided on it yet. People have a ton of products, and some that come part of a bundle that hasn't fit their usecase yet. There's a few things we need to consider before we can do this though.
    • Yeah, great example of a current pain we'll navigate through the course of this year. iZotope has amazing products and great deals for all kinds of users, but we'll need to make sure that once either type of product is in NA2 that it becomes a little easier to manage. We'll be looking at this as part of our iZotope integration work this year. Thank you for highlighting this.
    • This I believe links in to what we're hoping to release next. Currently, as I described in another post regarding start up times, we activate products on every startup. This is not necessary, as we can just remember the previous activation state the products were in. It still means you'll need to activate online, but I believe we could leverage this activation state offline afterwards. Offline in and of itself is a behemoth to tackle though, so we'll keep taking a look into how we can iteratively roll it out.
This discussion has been closed.