Deck stops playing and pitch is 100% down... What happens?

2»

Answers

• xblood
    xblood Member Posts: 17 Member

Im not sure that problem is with sound card. Because... when deck A "blocked"i can use decks B C D. Load tracks... and all other decks are available for use and sound card works well. But only deck A is not available for work i restart Traktor Pro app. USB cable i use original. Today i use my S2 at home for 6 hours - no any problem with my only setup S2 + Laptop...

• Karlos Santos
    Karlos Santos Member Posts: 136 Advisor

When you say the deck is "blocked" do you mean that you cannot load another track into the deck?

• Wyley
    Wyley Member Posts: 239 Pro
    edited February 2022

What if I tell you that this can be recreated by holding a walkie talkie (using certain frequencies) over the jog in line of sight at around <3ft and that every time you press talk on it the deck tied to the affected jog will end up in that state. With a walkie talkie this happens when you press talk and when you let go the deck goes back to normal. However wireless mics usually transmit continuously. This is one of the cons when it comes to capacitive jog wheels.

You could be right about soundcard dropping out of connection but I'm pretty sure that it was probably due to radio emissions and probably combined with bad electrical grounding in the facility where the unit was plugged into.

• xblood

I think you're right. But what can I do to prevent this?

I can install the microphone base further. It's not a problem.

But what to do with bad electrical grounding? 

However, it is not clear why this happens only with the deck A. Maybe there is the most sensitive jog there?

I don't have walkie talkie, but believe you.

• xblood

i mean that i can load any track in deck A, but track dont plays...

• Wyley

This happens with older transmitters that use a certain frequency range (VHF: 146-174. UHF: 450-470). New digital transmitters won't cause it. Was the mic mic near the left side of the unit? Next time this happens change scratch mode on the jogs to pitch bend mode.

• xblood

Usually the microphone is in the far left corner of the table. I didn't notice any problems that position.

This time he was right in front of the controller. The laptop was on a stand, and the base of the radio microphone was under the laptop - that is, in front of S2.

But mic is new - Sennheiser XSW 1-825...

• Wyley

Was the jog on your s2 in scratch mode? Did you wiggle the usb on the back of the unit to see if it disconnects?

The base is the receiver and the microphone that you hold in you hand is the actual transmitter. I checked the frequency range of your mic and it's above what I posted but you can still try to test it by setting your mic to this frequency setting (A: 548-572 MHz, GB: 606-630 MHz) according to your manual. Hold the mic over the jog wheel in scratch mode and talk into it.

It's an anomaly for sure so you will have to wait until it happens next time but at least you know some of things you can check for. Sorry we couldn't figure it out for you.

• zephry
    zephry Member Posts: 567 Pro

I get a small amount of movement on my S4mk3 when decks are off and not playing. I figured out that it is when it is in between gridlines. If I hit cue or loop to put the track lined up again it doesn't happen.

I know this might be unrelated. But what I am thinking is maybe when the track is not synced the jog is looking for the next marker to sync anyway (in relation to pitch correction maybe?)

This is just a guess, but maybe try turning of Snap and Quant since those are also something the grid is looking for?

Just something to try. But if it is happening only on one deck I am sure the problem is more like what Wyley is saying.

Also try wiping down the jogs, maybe oil from hands. And always keep it covered when not in use. You should see the grime and dust on my Decksaver cover. If my s4 was that dirty I would expect problems.

• xblood

Yes, jogs are in scratch mode...

My usb cable is always well fixed and does not hang out. I think there can be no problem in this, although if it happens again, I could try to replace it, I have another one that is not original.

The microphone is not used by me, but by the MC. So it's not in my hands near the controller. He is somewhere in the hall at a distance of 5 meters or more.

Thank you so much for the many answers and the desire to help me with my problem! It's incredibly nice)

I have idea to buy S3 to be able to control the lower decks if deck A is blocked )

• xblood

My S2 is always in transoport bag ) and in good condition. I think problem is in the power circuit of that hall and poor interference filtering by my laptop. And the controller is very sensitive to this...