Connecting two (or more) similar midi controllers to maschine/maschine+ (at the same time)

rmou
rmou Member Posts: 6 Sine
edited February 8 in Maschine

Hi, 

I have three A&H xone:k2 that i want to use as midi controllers to directly access multiple sends/volumes/synth parameters in maschine+.

Problem is that, as maschine software (which i must use to midi learn the parameters) doesnt take into account the midi channel (so it seems.. maybe im wrong), and since each k2 sends exactly the same CC/note for each fader/knob/button i cannot use the 3 controllers (mappings get overwritten across controllers). 

I have the three k2s linked using x:link (so a single usb cable and 2 ethernet cables), each on a different midi channel. But i also tried connecting each k2 individually using a usb cable for each but since the name each k2 sends (which is used to present itself to the OS) is the same, and since maschine doesnt provide a way of renaming devices, i end up where i started: basically i can only use 1 of the k2s at a time.

Not sure if i was clear enough but please request additional info if needed.

So... i'm asking... anyone knows a workaround that allows me to use my 3 k2s simultaneously? 

If we are to consider using m+ in a live situation then we need a decent midi learn functionality implementation. Not taking into account the midi channel in the mappings is something i cannot understand.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• ozon
    ozon SwitzerlandMember Posts: 347 Saw

AFAIK the MIDI channel can be set on the Group and Sound level. It’s in the Settings under Channel->Group/Sound->Input->MIDI.

• filip pietrzykowski
    filip pietrzykowski Member Posts: 2 Noise

no, this is in theory only,

one of the biggest issues with Maschine - all incoming midi CC are summed to 1 channel,

no matter how you set up instruments or Maschine, you need to be aware of this problem,

this means you can use only 128 CC - from 0 to 127 instead of 16 channels x 128 CCs.

Answering to the question, I think it's impossible to use 3x k2 at once with the Maschine,

as k2 is pre-programmed for all 128 CCs, you would need to program individually each K2, for different midi CC, make notes and move on one by one

I use personally Novation XL control as a audio mixer via midi in the Maschine,

it was tricky to programm, had to make notes which CC I use...but doable

• rmou
    rmou Member Posts: 6 Sine
    edited February 6

thanks for reaching out first of all both of you.

Problem is that k2 doesnt offer the possibility of manually mapping CC/notes like novation does through components app.

There's a 'semi' workaround which is to use layering functionality that k2 has. So basically each of the k2 is put into a different layer (it has 3) and in layering stage 5 (check the manual if needing to know more) i can have each k2 sending a different CC/note for each control.

Ill keep hoping that NI makes improvements here as i considerer this a primordial feature to perform live (midi mapping and the whole midi implementation of the maschine.. which at the moment is no short than amateur).

• ozon
    ozon SwitzerlandMember Posts: 347 Saw

@filip pietrzykowski wrote:

one of the biggest issues with Maschine - all incoming midi CC are summed to 1 channel,

no matter how you set up instruments or Maschine, you need to be aware of this problem

I don’t know how I could test this properly... Do you have any proof for that assertion?

• Analog Sol
    Analog Sol BarcelonaMember Posts: 14 Sine

You could try a Bome box. It should be able to listen to the K2 cc’s and spit out whatever you want.

I have one and it has been a little magic secret weapon for whatever midi problem I encounter.

https://www.bome.com/